PDA

View Full Version : Apple Gearing Up for 'iPad 2 Plus' Release Later This Year?

MacRumors
Jul 6, 2011, 02:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/apple-gearing-up-for-ipad-2-plus-release-later-this-year/)

As with the debate over whether the next-generation iPhone should tentatively be referred to as an "iPhone 5" or "iPhone 4S", observers are also differing in their opinions on Apple's next-generation iPad. While Apple has so far used the yearly upgrade cycle that has been relatively among the company's mobile devices for the iPad, there have been rumors that Apple is planning to release an updated iPad later this year. That update would come only about six months or so after the release of the iPad 2.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ipad_2_hand.jpg

And while many reports have taken to calling the rumored device the "iPad 3" as a logical extension of Apple's naming scheme so far, a new note from FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger (via International Business Times (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/175032/20110706/apple-ipad-2-ipad-2-plus-ipad-ipad-3-ipad3-hp-touchpad-tablet.htm)) has now coined a new term for the next-generation iPad: the "iPad 2 Plus".

Berger's note echoes a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/apples-suppliers-preparing-for-fall-launch-of-iphone-5-and-ipad-3/) from last week claiming that Apple is gearing up for a fall launch of the next-generation iPad, which will include a higher-resolution display."There are some indications from the supply chain that Apple may look to introduce an 'iPad 2 Plus' device as they put out request for quotes from various component suppliers for this marginally different device," FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger wrote in a note to clients.

Apple may launch the device in late 2011, the analyst said, citing supply-chain contacts.Berger's view of the next-generation iPad as a tweaked iPad 2 is essentially the reverse of theories (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3-to-arrive-this-september/) that initially appeared earlier this year in the lead-up to the iPad 2 launch. At that time, some observers had considered what would become the iPad 2 to be an interim release to carry Apple through until it could release a more significant update later in the year.

But with Apple actually having made fairly substantial improvements in the iPad 2 with the addition of dual cameras, a 33% thinner enclosure, and processor and graphics enhancements, Berger's report takes the view of the next-generation iPad being an enhanced iPad 2 rather than a full iPad 3 update.

Regardless of the name attached to the rumored next-generation device, a shift to a higher-resolution display approaching "Retina" resolutions in the range of 250-300 ppi would of course be a substantial improvement even on its own, although it is unclear just what other enhancements would be included in the new iPad.

Article Link: Apple Gearing Up for 'iPad 2 Plus' Release Later This Year? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/apple-gearing-up-for-ipad-2-plus-release-later-this-year/)

troop231
Jul 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
Didn't know that 2011 would be the year for (2) iPad 2's ;)

*LTD*
Jul 6, 2011, 03:01 PM
Not this again. :(

ratzzo
Jul 6, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think they'd generate more revenue if they held the actual Retina display for the iPad 3. The iPad 2 is fast as it is at the moment, though. Calling it 'Plus' would be silly.

dloomer
Jul 6, 2011, 03:02 PM
iPad ][+

wolfshades
I hope they add some storage and maybe increase the resolution.

Regardless, I'll probably by one. Such is the price of geekdom.

CIA
If they barely can keep up with demand now, why would they release a new super hot product right at the start of the x-mas shopping season? Doesn't add up.

theelysium
Jul 6, 2011, 03:03 PM
They better put real cameras in it this time!

These crappy .97 & .05 pixels are a joke!

pmau
I would buy it nevertheless. The new DualCore A5 and the improved graphics capabilities would make me buy it. Even if they price the retina version much higher. Think about how many display they would have needed if they launched it with retina.
I think this is a limiting factor right now.

Mattie Num Nums

A break in perfection it seems?

dethmaShine
Jul 6, 2011, 03:04 PM
Apple's copying the google naming scheme, eh? :D

/engadget-troll :P

glopezpadro
Jul 6, 2011, 03:04 PM
really, an RFQ from Apple… I don't buy it, this guys know this stuff a year in advance… not 90 days of bidding before release.:apple:

darthraige
Jul 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
"This is the year of the iPad 2." -Steve Jobs

Stetrain
Jul 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
I wonder if this would be a case of selling both at the same time. The current iPad 2 stays at the current price or even drops a very small amount, the iPad 2 Plus would start at a higher price and maybe go up to 128gb at the top end.

JamesDo
Jul 6, 2011, 03:12 PM
Could you please stop posting this crap, it doesn't make any sense. The editor should use his common sense, a new version would mean that developers have to update their applications again <--- costing a lot of money. And Apple doesn't benefit either since the iPad 2 is doing fine, and the production costs will be lower every month.

mattwolfmatt
Jul 6, 2011, 03:13 PM

Who cares what he said? Do you really think one slide at a keynote will dictate a multi billion dollar corporation's product release schedule?

If it's the right time and they want to do it, they'll release it.

aluren
It seems odd that Apple will do this. What's there to add to the iPad 2 and not be substantial? SD card slot? 128GB storage? Better camera? Better battery? I don't see the point of releasing this mid-cycle since the competitors are still playing catch-up and iPad 2 is still selling like hot cakes. If anything, a minor, less noteworthy mid-cycle update that makes sense would be new colors... To me, the iPad 2 with the upcoming iOS 5 is enough of a mid-cycle "refresh".

Laird Knox

He meant to say the year of two iPads. :p

patp
If they barely can keep up with demand now, why would they release a new super hot product right at the start of the x-mas shopping season? Doesn't add up.

i agree. I see no sense in offering something new when they haven't really finished the first product cycle for iPad 2. I see them ramp up production for the 3rd and 4th quarters, but do not see a new version coming.

NutsNGum
The story doesn't seem too far fetched to be honest, the iMac had two updates in 2009 with roughly six-eight months of a gap and the second was a whole new design. These updates might be unusual but they're not unheard of.

ECUpirate44
Jul 6, 2011, 03:14 PM
Oh I will be hella pissed if there is a new iPad before 2012. I just freakin got an iPad 2.

darthraige
Do you really think one slide at a keynote will dictate a multi billion dollar corporation's product release schedule?

Yes.

h00ligan
They still can't meet demand for ipad 2, but they are going to release a new one already.. Sorry, doubt it.

I admit I may be wrong, but apple doesn't NEED to play launch one every six months. Even if android software gets better optimized, it will take at least a year to have the smooth feel of ios - and this is after I tried to defect.

I'm not sure even a 2x as powerful as ipad 2 tablet running honeycomb could accomplish the speed and smoothness of ipad 2.. so why rush to release in contest with other makers?

Apple simply doesn't need to spend more in r/d and speed up release cycles, right now. They very well may in a year's time.

dethmaShine
Jul 6, 2011, 03:16 PM
Who cares what he said? Do you really think one slide at a keynote will dictate a multi billion dollar corporation's product release schedule?

Exactly.

PLUS -

Steve Jobs is known for misguiding people and other companies into making wrong/incompetent decisions. It's high time people realise that Steve Jobs bluffs a lot which necessarily adds to Apple's advantages.

Laird Knox
It seems odd that Apple will do this. What's there to add to the iPad 2 and not be substantial? SD card slot? 128GB storage? Better camera? Better battery? I don't see the point of releasing this mid-cycle since the competitors are still playing catch-up and iPad 2 is still selling like hot cakes. If anything, a minor, less noteworthy mid-cycle update that makes sense would be new colors... To me, the iPad 2 with the upcoming iOS 5 is enough of a mid-cycle "refresh".

I agree that a new tablet seems unlikely but simply replacing the screen with a higher res unit would be a pretty big blow to the those upstarts.

Personally I'm not going to worry about it. My eToys won't stop working if they do come out with another version. ;)

ChristianJapan
I still thing the name will be iPad 2 Pro. Don't have any sources talking to me but my stomache.

Retina, better cameras and higher price will be what Santa Claus will give me for Xmas.

Storage I can't see getting increased. With iCloud at the horizon.

Biolizard
Jul 6, 2011, 03:17 PM
Could present some advantages.

The original iPad came in right at the end of the iPhone OS 3.x era, and the iPad 2 was released with iOS 4.3, with iOS 4.x already being quite mature. Shifting the iPad later in the year would align it to the start of an OS cycle; this may or may not be a factor for some parties.
Also, it baffles me that the iPad comes out with the same proc as the forthcoming iPhone but half the RAM. Wtf? Is this down to component cost? A shift to later in the year may help with this, but that's a fairly outside statement to make so I put the disclaimer here.

On the other hand, putting the iPad release alongside the iPhone releases causes congestion at the end of the year (along with iPods, in whatever form they take in the future) with virtually nothing in the Spring save possible Mac hardware updates. I can see the logic in the iPhone and iPod Touch releases being aligned since there isn't much difference between them and the iPhone had been taking up too much time at the WWDC keynote for too long, but the addition of the iPad doesn't make business sense when it's selling so well; the ideal situation would be to balance revenue across the year as far as you can control (excluding the obvious upturn in sales at Christmas).

Ah well. Another day, another iPad/iPhone rumour.

mikesilv
Jul 6, 2011, 03:19 PM
Until a single one of these morons ever proves right about anything.

Thanks

Laird Knox
Jul 6, 2011, 03:19 PM
Oh I will be hella pissed if there is a new iPad before 2012. I just freakin got an iPad 2.

Oh noes! Your coolness quotient would would plummet.

One Bad Duck
Jul 6, 2011, 03:20 PM
You know all these games are now maxing out the new GFX chip in the iPad 2 by driving a big flat panel tv like Real Racing 2 etc... Will the current graphics chip be able to drive this new resolution and these tv's as promised or would they have to throw in a newer graphics board?

neilw
Jul 6, 2011, 03:20 PM
I wonder if this would be a case of selling both at the same time. The current iPad 2 stays at the current price or even drops a very small amount, the iPad 2 Plus would start at a higher price and maybe go up to 128gb at the top end.

I've been pondering this exact idea for a while. Reduce the regular iPad2 just a bit, and offer the 2+ a bit higher. The retina display would inspire a lot of upgrades, even at a higher price. A lower-priced stock iPad 2 would put competitors further behind the 8-ball.

They could also do an iPhone-like maneuver, and limit the standard iPad2 configuration to just 16 gB Wifi at a lower price, and have the iPad 2+ offer the full suite of configurations, to push all but the most price-conscious buyers there.

Meanwhile, I can't help agreeing with those who say that Apple has no reason to do this given that they can't keep up with demand as it is. However, remember that Apple sometimes loves to replace products at their peak, see the iPod mini -> nano transition.

Doing this this year would be a serious knee to the groin of every other company that is trying to compete in the tablet space.

Jim Boonie
Jul 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
So I guess it's absolutely preposterous for theses analysts to assume that maybe Apple is shopping for iPad 3 screens? Every time Apple gets a quote for a part that means it's going immediately into, "Something"?

QuarterSwede
The iPad 2 is killing it and Apple's manufacturers can hardly keep up with demand still. Why would they do this? Another idiot analyst.

Roessnakhan
I hate analysts.

shanmugam
Jul 6, 2011, 03:22 PM
next year please

Dorje Sylas
Does anyone perhaps think that what they're seeing may be Apple looking to get a head start on iPad 3 supplies? As others have already said Apple is still having difficulty keeping up with iPad 2 demand.

One thing that would make sense would be (after super secret apple number crunching) would be to get a jump on production to avoid the kind of back log and rather dangerous launch day/week of the iPad 2. Keep the skalpers from killing each other in line.

Terry W
In light of the recent announcement out of Mountain View.

Eduardo1971

Why do people keep referring to this Steve Jobs quote? This from the same person who said 'no' to video on iPods...said that there is no need to "add new stuff" to the iPod Touch...who said "we need to look at the tablet, and we think it is going to fail".

Just because Steve Jobs said something doesn't mean that it will/won't happen.

quizdogg

Who really uses these cameras? Definitely not the people that actually care about camera quality so I say keep the cameras crappy and concentrate on some more business oriented features.

saxman

"We will be at 3GHz in 12 months" - Steve Jobs on the G5
"...Nobody reads anymore" - Steve Jobs before Apple had an iBookstore

Things change. It's often the truth at the time, but the market can change quickly. If they are able to get a better price on an improved component, they will

shanmugam
Jul 6, 2011, 03:23 PM
I want to see the refreshed MBA, Mac mini, MacBook and Mac Pro

iPad is good for now, we can wait till next year March 2012.

Why so rush like Android tablets are selling like hot cakes. Android phones are different though. :D

thatisme
Jul 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm pulling for a iPad Pro with a higher-res (retina like) display and a switchable Wacom screen to allow either touch input and allow for touch to be disabled to use Wacom tech.

However, if this iPad Plus comes to fruition, it is most likely going to be a small spec change, going to Sprint radios or something like that.

shanmugam
Who really uses these cameras? Definitely not the people that actually care about camera quality so I say keep the cameras crappy and concentrate on some more business oriented features.

Skype +Camera is good.

there are many who is using iPad as their only tablet or whatever ...

Eidorian
Apple is definitely destroying the resale value of this hardware. Not that many appear to believe it.

sexualchocolate
If they really released a "premium version" with a higher resolution screen but with the same CPU and graphics, wouldn't it affect performance and battery life?

JCL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I call iPad 2 Pro and a ton of mad iPad owners.

pmz
Jul 6, 2011, 03:25 PM
I truly believe an iPad 2+ will be released around the time of iOS 5.

The only major differences will be the Retina Display, and better cameras.

It will be a premium product with 32 and 64 gb capacities, and will start at $799 for 32 gb wifi only.

The 64 gb iPad 2+ wifi&3g will go for $929. :eek:

--

When the iPad 3 lands next far, it will have the same upgraded display and cameras, but drop down to replace iPad 2 in pricing.

MacNewsFix
Jul 6, 2011, 03:25 PM
I don't understand the need to stay on an annual mid-spring refresh. If anytime makes the most sense, it would be closer to the start of the back-to-school season and closer to the holiday buying season when the refresh seems, er, fresher on buyers' minds. :p

Further, with the competitors flailing as they are, better to capitalize on the iPad's current lead and leave the rip-offs further in the dust if components (ex. higher res displays) are more economic to incorporate.

Eidorian
Jul 6, 2011, 03:26 PM
If they really released a "premium version" with a higher resolution screen but with the same CPU and graphics, wouldn't it affect performance and battery life?Stand back, specification whoring might cause heads to explode and wallets to return to their pockets.

strausd
Jul 6, 2011, 03:27 PM

No, but I think a multi billion dollar corporation's product release cycle can dictate a slide at a keynote.

Don't you think Steve would know a rough estimate of when a next generation iPad would be released at the time of the keynote? Of course he would! They outline these things in advance, and although things don't always go according to plan (White iPhone 4), I think he would know if his company was going to release the next generation iPad during the time of the keynote. Considering when the keynote was and when this RUMORED (rumor, not truth) next gen iPad is to be released, I'm pretty sure Steve would know if there will be an update within the next 9-12 months at the time of the keynote.

res1233
Jul 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
If they really released a "premium version" with a higher resolution screen but with the same CPU and graphics, wouldn't it affect performance and battery life?

Yes and yes. Driving more pixels is going to be harder on the GPU. This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense in my opinion. All those new iPad 2 games that come with higher detail graphics are not going to be able to upgrade to a retina display without bringing the detail back down again.

In my opinion, a retina display should only come with a GPU upgrade.

Jim Boonie
Jul 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
I want to see the refreshed MBA

Agreed. We're making brown in our Hanes over this rumor and we haven't got a lick of proof that the MBA is actually getting updated in a week!

firewood
Jul 6, 2011, 03:30 PM

If a company can't keep up with demand, they are leaving money on the table.

So Apple could release a much higher priced iPad 2+, in addition to still selling the iPad 2. The 2+ will take some of the demand off of the iPad 2; and a much higher price for an iPad 2+ will better control any added demand. The extra profits will just roll in.

Because of the higher profits to be made from a 2+, Apple could even drop the price of the iPad 2 to simply destroy any competition, while still keeping the overall margin (and thus total profit) for their 2 combined iPad products the same.

nutmac
If a company can't keep up with demand, they are leaving money on the table.

So Apple could release a much higher priced iPad 2+, in addition to still selling the iPad 2. The 2+ will take some of the demand off of the iPad 2; and a much higher price for an iPad 2+ will better control the extra demand. The extra profits will just roll in.
Your argument is true only if the margin will be greater on iPad 2+ and sales of existing models don't suffer as a result. As it stands, Apple is selling every iPads it can build at a healthy margin.

My theory is, Apple isn't going to segment iPad with "low" resolution and "high" resolution versions. There just isn't the need. Creating yet another product variation increases the inventory. It will wait until it can bring high resolution version across the board.

danmills8
Who really thinks Apple will release another iPad this year? Who? It's not just about Steve saying 2011 is the year of the iPad 2. Its common sense. Apple doesn't need to release another iPad. And those of you talking about the "right time" to release one. Is this the right time? Is later this year the right time? Of course not! iPad 2 plus? What a joke! Anyone who follows Apple and has any sense knows another iPad won't happen this year. Apple still has to release iPhone 5 in the fall. Between that, Lion, and other Mac hardware releases there simply isn't room in Apple's marketing to sustain another iPad release this year.

Macrumors, you guys should know better than to post all of these worthless rumors that you know won't happen.

sexualchocolate
Stand back, specification whoring might cause heads to explode and wallets to return to their pockets.

I was just curious to know. If it is just a small difference I wouldn't even care if performance and battery life suffered a bit. Just wanting to to if somebody has a good guess about the implications.

Lesser Evets
Jul 6, 2011, 03:32 PM
The speculation makes sense...
but it is still just a RUMOR.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the retina-revision iPad.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple do d--k all and sit on its hands until March.

macUser2007
Jul 6, 2011, 03:33 PM
9.7" is too small for magazines and PDFs.

The higher pixel density is "shrug" feature for most.

nagromme
Jul 6, 2011, 03:34 PM
Since it would need more powerful computing specs to drive that massive screen, a simple “2+” designation wouldn’t make sense (except as an informal/code-name).

Releasing such a thing this year also doesn’t make sense... UNLESS it lets them increase manufacturing capacity. There’s a production bottleneck, and if the “2+” (or whatever) is so different that it doesn’t cannibalize iPad 2 component supplies, but in fact allows whole new sources to begin manufacturing iPads, then that means more iPads being made total. That’s the only reason it would make sense—and I doubt it’s the case.

It does make sense to have a dual-tier product line at first (since the retina display and its chips are likely to be costly). But this year? I say 2012.

The higher density is AWESOME. I love my iPhone 4’s screen so much I can almost not stand the display on laptops, other phones, anything! I do love my iPad (including for PDF and document viewing on the big screen) but then going back to the iPhone 4’s screen feels like a relief in some ways. One day (2012?) this will come to iPad and it will be great. The sharpness and the vivid colors (resulting from the pixel “mesh” becoming near-invisible) are fantastic.

Chwisch87
Jul 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
Oh here we go again.

THERE WILL BE NO iPad 2Plus/2s/3 or whatever the hell these idiots wanna call it in 2011.

Also Dear Macrumors... Mac"Rumors" should at least be plausible.

res1233
Jul 6, 2011, 03:37 PM

For most people, higher pixel density increases the overall feel of the device, like it does with the iPhone 4, even if most users probably don't know enough about the device to know WHY it feels so much better than others. This is true no matter what you do with the device. You're constantly reading some sort of text somewhere, watching some sort of video, or viewing images possibly of higher quality than can be displayed accurately on a non-retina display. The difference should be extremely noticeable.

pmz
Jul 6, 2011, 03:38 PM

Not sure how you could possibly conclude that and also be serious.

Simply wrong. 9.7 is the perfect size, and everything is zoomable. The iPhone is certainly too small for magazines and PDFs, but that doesn't stop people from using it, since they can Zoom.

Higher pixel density would be enough to sell a brand new revision of the iPad, by itself. Hardly a shrug. If you've ever seen an iPhone 4 screen (I'm going to say for certain you haven't), then you'd know precisely why this is the single most sought after feature for the iPad.

Spanky Deluxe
Jul 6, 2011, 03:41 PM
If it has a retina display then I'll sell my one week old iPad 2 immediately and buy the newer one. I'm happy with my iPad in every other way but I find the display a real step down compared to my iPhone's one. So much so that I find it uncomfortable to read on so I still use my iPhone as my primary reading device.

rdstoll
Jul 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
"But with Apple actually having made fairly substantial improvements in the iPad 2...."

I laughed out loud when I read this.

bbeagle
Jul 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
If you've ever seen an iPhone 4 screen (I'm going to say for certain you haven't), then you'd know precisely why this is the single most sought after feature for the iPad.

For the past year, I've owned both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1. I do not notice a difference in regular use.

Sure, if I put the iPad to my face, I'll notice it, but I use my iPad from about 2-3 feet, and my iPhone from about 1 foot or less.

Retina display is a non-issue for a lot of people. We're both different. I'm sure you would notice it, but I would not run out and get an iPad 3 for a retina display.

hayesk
Jul 6, 2011, 03:44 PM
Wow. These analysts are just embarrassing themselves now.

Here's a prediction: iPad 2 successor in 2012 - it will be better in some ways than the iPad 2.

pmz
Jul 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
For the past year, I've owned both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1. I do not notice a difference in regular use.

Sure, if I put the iPad to my face, I'll notice it, but I use my iPad from about 2-3 feet, and my iPhone from about 1 foot or less.

Retina display is a non-issue for a lot of people. We're both different. I'm sure you would notice it, but I would not run out and get an iPad 3 for a retina display.

While that may be true for you, many many many people would flat out disagree....and many early iPad 2 adopters would be putting theirs on Ebay.

Also, if you cannot easily and completely see the obvious difference with even the slightest of glances between those two devices, you very well may need reading glasses. Not trying to be funny, but I've never heard anyone say that they can't see the difference.

Eidorian
Jul 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
I was just curious to know. If it is just a small difference I wouldn't even care if performance and battery life suffered a bit. Just wanting to to if somebody has a good guess about the implications.Lower voltages from newer steppings might be just enough.

While that may be true for you, many many many people would flat out disagree....and many early iPad 2 adopters would be putting theirs on Ebay.And fighting it out with the refurbished models.

ckd
Jul 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
The iPad ][+? Will it come with Applesoft BASIC and be followed by the iPad //e? :)

msb3079
Jul 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
Some of you are so negative and talk as if you know all. You don't. Neither do I. There may or may not be an iPad 2 Plus. Who knows. But do give all your annoying reasons as if you KNOW, is really annoying.

Simple fact is... there is evidence that points to this possibly happening. Is it possible? Yes. Could Apple pull it off? Sure, why not. Might none of this happen in 2011? Sure, why not.

Grow up.

paul4339

i notice a difference when reading (characters aren't as crisp).. for video & pics it's ok.

(edit: if I had an option of either upgrading 16GB or a better display for say $100, I'd probably choose the better display)

baryon
What's wrong with calling the 3rd iPad "iPad 3"? I mean it's the third iPad, regardless of how little un upgrade it is.

The iPhone 3G and the 3GS were stupid names. iPhone 4 is the first name that made sense. It's the 4th iPhone, therefore "iPhone 4".

Day48
Jul 6, 2011, 03:51 PM
I could see them coming out with a high end iPad, please not iPad 2+. maybe Pro, but not +! I just hope that it takes the place of the current iPad pricing scheme and the original gets cheaper. For me if I am going to spend $1200 I am going to get a powerful iMac. An iPad is not worth $1000. Especially with network restrictions.

tinman0
Jul 6, 2011, 03:51 PM
Guys and gals,

An iPad 2S makes perfect sense. Apple need an iPad refresh before Christmas, not after Christmas. It's exactly what they do with iPods - make sure people get whats the latest kit before Christmas and give it a bit of a life after Christmas.

bushido
Jul 6, 2011, 03:52 PM
all those rumors about a new iPad by the end of the year makes it damn hard to buy one by september and not just wait

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
What's wrong with calling the 3rd iPad "iPad 3"? I mean it's the third iPad, regardless of how little un upgrade it is.

The iPhone 3G and the 3GS were stupid names. iPhone 4 is the first name that made sense. It's the 4th iPhone, therefore "iPhone 4".

I submit that the original iPhone had a catchy name as well.

URFloorMatt
Jul 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
As I said before, I'm in when it's got a Retina-quality display but not before.

Eidorian
Jul 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
Guys and gals,

An iPad 2S makes perfect sense. Apple need an iPad refresh before Christmas, not after Christmas. It's exactly what they do with iPods - make sure people get whats the latest kit before Christmas and give it a bit of a life after Christmas.Maybe it will be in September along with the iPods. I am still holding off on another iPod Touch update. Maybe they will get it right this time.

strausd
Jul 6, 2011, 03:55 PM

Thus you think the next iPhone should be the iPhone 5 and not the iPhone 4S?

Well if so I'm right there with you. I hate the name iPhone 4S. It only came about from some people who got a little faster iPhone 4 just for testing purposes. Obviously that won't be the end result, if it was why would they give it to them for testing their apps?

shartypants
Jul 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
Who cares what they call it, I just want a retina display! And better cameras.

bbeagle
Jul 6, 2011, 03:57 PM
While that may be true for you, many many many people would flat out disagree....and many early iPad 2 adopters would be putting theirs on Ebay.

I agree. It's different for different users. Some people care, others don't. Just don't translate your need/desire/want and assume that most or even a majority of people want it.

Also, if you cannot easily and completely see the obvious difference with even the slightest of glances between those two devices, you very well may need reading glasses.

Many older people have poor eyesight. They wouldn't notice the difference either. I bet they're a substantial portion of iPad users, because of the ease of use of this device.

In fact, my dad still has the old flip-phone style phone with about a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch screen with about 16-colors, and he thinks that is 'fine', and wouldn't upgrade his phone for anything.

Not trying to be funny, but I've never heard anyone say that they can't see the difference.

If I examine the screen, I can see that the iPhone 4 is 'crisper', but it's not something that I really notice in day-to-day use unless I try to notice it.

I guess it's the same with sound for me. I don't notice any difference in an mp3 with 128 bit vs 192 bits. If I focused on listening for the differences, maybe I could, but it's not something I really care about.

Maybe you're more of a perfectionist in picture-quality than I am.

ebow
Jul 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
The iPad ][+? Will it come with Applesoft BASIC and be followed by the iPad //e? :)

I'm waiting for the iPad IIGS ;)

rikscha
Jul 6, 2011, 04:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Add a 3rd camera for no reason.

msb3079
Jul 6, 2011, 04:04 PM

Sorry to be mean. But maybe you should see an eye doctor.

strausd
Jul 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
I agree. It's different for different users. Some people care, others don't. Just don't translate your need/desire/want and assume that most or even a majority of people want it.

He wasn't, he was just saying many, not most, not a majority, just many. And I agree.

Many older people have poor eyesight. They wouldn't notice the difference either. I bet they're a substantial portion of iPad users, because of the ease of use of this device.

In fact, my dad still has the old flip-phone style phone with about a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch screen with about 16-colors, and he thinks that is 'fine', and wouldn't upgrade his phone for anything.

If they have poor eyesight, maybe consider reading glasses?

I think a substantial portion of iPad users are the computer geeks out there, including myself. Because people like us won't look at a tiny screen with awful color and consider it "fine." He may be able to do what he needs to do on that phone, but give him an iPhone 4 and see if he likes it better. But of course there will always be those people who won't like it better because its not what they are used to.

If I examine the screen, I can see that the iPhone 4 is 'crisper', but it's not something that I really notice in day-to-day use unless I try to notice it.

I guess it's the same with sound for me. I don't notice any difference in an mp3 with 128 bit vs 192 bits. If I focused on listening for the differences, maybe I could, but it's not something I really care about.

Maybe you're more of a perfectionist in picture-quality than I am.

Personally I don't have to try and notice the difference. It's so obvious and apparent to me it can get annoying not being so crisp. But everyone sees things differently. People also hear things differently too.

It's not a matter of being a perfectionist as it is liking things to look better and being more crisp with more detail.

koruki
Jul 6, 2011, 04:05 PM

You clearly don't know Steve Jobs really well. :o

gohanmzt
Jul 6, 2011, 04:06 PM

Well, if this device is called what they say its tecnically still an Ipad 2, so what Jobs said is true.

khkman22
Jul 6, 2011, 04:09 PM
With a possible shift to future iPhone releases in September as well, I can see the iPad being refreshed this fall to transition to a new June/July release date going forward.

I don't have any proof to say they are thinking about changing the release date for the iPad, but it happened this year with the iPhone, so why would it not be possible to also do it for the iPad and have that be their new update to place in between the 6 month gap between the MBP and iPhone/iPods? If a new June/July release is the norm, maybe they thought they couldn't go 15 months between this year and next year's update. Or maybe they weren't positive whatever was planned for iPad 3 in March/April 2012 would be ready, so they decided to bridge the gap with mid-cycle release, which would then also allow them to push the next release to June/July.

Another factor that could lead them to switch to the June/July date is the back-to-school factor. Apple could view it as a tie-in to their back-to-school promotion and help sell more right before school starts as most people are likely to buy their computers (especially incoming college freshmen) right before school starts to have the latest and greatest.

One last reason could be that, right now, Christmas sales are slower than they could be with a June/July release. As it stands, many are willing to delay a Christmas purchase of one since they feel a new version will be out in March/April and there is no point in buying the current model so soon before a refresh. If it is a mid-year release, then you have the possibility of the back-to-school orders and also those that feel it is new enough and are willing to purchase it as a Christmas gift.

It just seems like everybody that denies the POSSIBILITY of even just a MILD spec bump takes these updates personally and will hold a grudge against Apple for making them update and spend more money so soon or because they won't have the latest and greatest toy for bragging rights if they decide not to upgrade.

Truffy
Jul 6, 2011, 04:10 PM

Oh, for crying out loud, any 'camera' with a lens like a pinhole is a friggin' joke. Want a decent camera? Buy a decent camera. It's not rocket science!

Someday, everything will come with a piddly built-in camera. But, until then, I cherish buying underwear without. :rolleyes:

FroMann
Jul 6, 2011, 04:11 PM
I highly doubt another iPad will come out this year, but unfortunately some people would actually buy a iPad 2 "Plus" this year after buying the iPad 2 earlier in the year.

Brien
Jul 6, 2011, 04:12 PM
The only way this would make sense would be if Apple intends to align the schedules of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad lines, so that they all get updated in September.

Although I don't see how that benefits Apple. Plus, the iPad 2 just came out.

I highly doubt another iPad will come out this ear, but unfortunately some people would actually buy a iPad 2 "Plus" this year after buying the iPad 2 earlier in the year.

I know people who upgrade their laptops every 3-4 months, so yes.

Tec972
Jul 6, 2011, 04:12 PM
I was seriously considering an ipad 2 until they released the specs for it. They didn't update much as far as I was concerned. Two crummy cameras and moving to dual core which they had to do otherwise they'd have been left in the dust. (and graphics). Considering how big the ipad turned out to be and the fact they had about a year until the next product release I was underwhelmed at the ipad 2. If they updated the display I would have gotten one but they didn't. Hope the next one comes out soon with improved display.

phpmaven
Jul 6, 2011, 04:13 PM

As I've said before, why do people take this one little comment by Steve as the definitive word on the release schedule of the iPad. He was obviously just referring to how successful it was going to be, sheesh! :rolleyes:

gadget123
Jul 6, 2011, 04:15 PM
Who a actually wants an iPad 2.5?

If you buy it as a new customer it will be dated in a few months when IPad 3 comes. If you upgrade your iPad 2 you won't get a full year out it and will also have to upgrade again.

Makes no sense other than target people who would buy a new product regardless. I think most would rather have a proper update next year than a product half developed.

skellener
Jul 6, 2011, 04:20 PM
Not gonna happen. iPad 3 in 2012.

neutrino23
Jul 6, 2011, 04:22 PM

We'll know in a few months. There could be quite a bit of upside for Apple making two or more versions that are released at different times of the year. They can gain experience with lower volumes of a difficult to make product. They raise the ASP by coming out with a Pro version. They smooth out production by introducing different versions at different times of the year.

ZZ Bottom
Jul 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY introduce their new iPhone, iPods, and iPads at the exact same time every year? That without a doubt would cause some buyers to buy up on one product instead of buying multiple over the course of a year.

Why are these rumor mongers always so blatantly ignorant to the past business practices of this company, and why do they ignore the obviously more profitable scenarios for Apple?

Waste of brain cells this rumor is.

khkman22
Jul 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
If you buy it as a new customer it will be dated in a few months when IPad 3 comes. If you upgrade your iPad 2 you won't get a full year out it and will also have to upgrade again.

You don't know a new model is coming out in the spring. Maybe June/July is the new release date and is why they want to release one now. Plus, why wouldn't you buy the "2+" this fall if you were already willing to buy the 2? The 2+ may have everything someone is looking for and they may not care if the next one is released in 6 months.

Hockey Gym
Jul 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
It would make sense if Apple were to release the next iPhone with a dual-mode chip to also include it in an updated iPad from a manufacturing perspective. Although, I am doubtful of a retina display being included.

ChrisNM
Jul 6, 2011, 04:29 PM
I am not that knowledgable about tablets - I am curious how the new tablets from Samsung, HP, and others stack up against the iPad 2.

Does anyone know?

If they have something better - such as a sharper display - then I could see Apple releasing another version of the iPad to close the gap.

lazyrighteye
Jul 6, 2011, 04:30 PM

Yeah, 'cause Steve has never said something and then done the exact opposite. Nope. A man of his word. ;)

That aside, it just seems wacky business sense to upgrade a super high demand product. And so soon. I don't run one of the world's most successful tech companies, but the whole concept just does... not... feel... right. To me.

As one who has uncharacteristically passed on TWO versions of the post-PC device (I still have no idea where that willpower came form), I welcome a 3rd version as soon as Apple can roll one out. Tomorrow would be just fine by me. :D

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 04:36 PM
I am not that knowledgable about tablets - I am curious how the new tablets from Samsung, HP, and others stack up against the iPad 2.

Does anyone know?

If they have something better - such as a sharper display - then I could see Apple releasing another version of the iPad to close the gap.

Samsung's Galaxy 10.1 is the most competitive. It's 0.01" thinner and has a higher resolution (1280x800 at 10.1" versus 1024x768 at 9.7"). People have praised the display, but I haven't seen unanimous opinion that it is clearly better. The build quality is also praised. Software aside, I would say it is equal with the iPad 2. No burning need to release another iPad given how fast they are selling unless they are hell-bent on cornering the market with a blistering upgrade pace at the risk of decreasing their maximum profit by too frequently investing in new technology, not allowing current technology to reduce in production cost while still selling acceptably, etc.

WestonHarvey1
Jul 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
I like it.

iPad 2 Plus, then iPad 2e, 2c, 2gs...

iPad 2 Forever!

Jul 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
This is great news for customers. Apple keeps pushing the envelope and all of us will be queuing up to purchase iPad 2+. I hope it happens.

ChrisNM
Jul 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
Samsung's Galaxy 10.1 is the most competitive. It's 0.01" thinner and has a higher resolution (1280x800 at 10.1" versus 1024x768 at 9.7"). People have praised the display, but I haven't seen unanimous opinion that it is clearly better. The build quality is also praised. Software aside, I would say it is equal with the iPad 2. No burning need to release another iPad given how fast they are selling unless they are hell-bent on cornering the market with a blistering upgrade pace at the risk of decreasing their maximum profit by too frequently investing in new technology, not allowing current technology to reduce in production cost while still selling acceptably, etc.

Thanks - that makes sense, Apple is not known for putting profit maximization at risk :)

pubwvj
Jul 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
This means more people will upgrade and sell their older iPads on the cheap making them available for the rest of us.

cherishzm
Jul 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
I'd be very happy to see an iPad 2 Plus with higher resolution (Retina) display and improved back/front camera. More memory would be a plus but not necessary. Why not charge about $100 premium for this improved feature? I'd bite it. iPhone 4's Retina display makes iPad 2 screen somewhat dull and much less clear and vivid. Retina display alone would be a big improvement.

franswa za
Jul 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
Could you please stop posting this crap, it doesn't make any sense. The editor should use his common sense, a new version would mean that developers have to update their applications again <--- costing a lot of money. And Apple doesn't benefit either since the iPad 2 is doing fine, and the production costs will be lower every month.

good for you sir!

t's like the new iphone 5 rumours......... wait 'till it is released

i personally believe that apple shall not release a new ipad 3? before 2012

maybe? quadro switching/real stereo speakers on 4 corners on top of glass/ small bass unit at back? better cameras fore and aft...

resolution bumpup? ....uhm, seems fine to me for 2011

the current ipads 1 & 2 are just doing swell.................

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks - that makes sense, Apple is not known for putting profit maximization at risk :)

Precisely why people are skeptical of this rumor.

Detlev_73
Jul 6, 2011, 04:44 PM

Just sell it and buy the next model. My iPad 2 paid 2/3 for itself. There's enough demand that someone will buy it.

skellener
Jul 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
iOS 5 hasn't even shipped yet and you guys think there will be another iPad already? :rolleyes:

tmarks11
Jul 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
iPad ][+

How about iPad IIe
:D

Everyone needs to get over this "retina" display for the tablet thing.

Yeah, Apple is going to put a higher resolution display on a $500 tablet then they have in their $2000 MBP. Right....

I would prefer that an ipad not be turned into a hotplate that I can't hold on my lap for fear of being burned, all to achieve some "retina" fetish.

Give it up already.

Maybe on iPad 5, which will actually just be running OSx....

Back OT, I was going to skip the second generation, but if they slap 1GB of RAM in this baby and offer 128 GB of storage, I will jump onto the bandwagon.

bushido
Jul 6, 2011, 04:53 PM
u know they could just keep selling the iPad 2 for the regular customer and the iPad 2+ as the high end version for tech freaks. why not promote the fresh released iOS5 with a new iPhone and a minor yet big enough iPad 2 upgrade

chrono1081
Jul 6, 2011, 04:55 PM

Agreed. These rumors happen with every iDevice and not one ever comes to fruition.

firewood
Jul 6, 2011, 04:59 PM
The iPad ][+? Will it come with Applesoft BASIC

There are at least 5 BASICs for the iPad already in the App store.

iBasic (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibasic/id323573268?mt=8)

HotPaw Basic (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hotpaw-basic/id295464266?mt=8)

Basic! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/basic/id362411238?mt=8)

Commodore 64 Basic (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/commodore-64/id305504539?mt=8)

Hand Basic (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hand-basic-cbm-flavor/id394924289?mt=8)

Enjoy!

jyan2
Jul 6, 2011, 05:03 PM

Why do people think a new iPad is coming out at the end of the year when Apple is talking about increasing production numbers of the iPad 2 for the 3rd and/or 4th quarters of this year?!?!? Wasn't it cited about a week ago on here?!? I know this is "MacRumors" but let's try to look through the obvious rumors & put what makes sense together.

briansolomon
Jul 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have been waiting for higher screen resolution since the release of the first one.

The price is right, the specs just need to get there.

dethmaShine
Jul 6, 2011, 05:08 PM
"We will be at 3GHz in 12 months" - Steve Jobs on the G5
"...Nobody reads anymore" - Steve Jobs before Apple had an iBookstore

Things change. It's often the truth at the time, but the market can change quickly. If they are able to get a better price on an improved component, they will

Both the quotes that you have quoted are entirely different. Apple couldn't go 3GHz due to their technical limitations. I'm not sure if 3GHz is the right limit or 3.5GHz. But whatever.

Reading on the other hand is a common practice. Again it wasn't the market that influenced Apple's decision. Steve has misguided other companies on a number of occasions - whether its the video iPod or the iPhone or even the iPad. He just does it every time. He also recently claimed that Apple won't go into the search business. Let's see how that goes.

ghsNick
Jul 6, 2011, 05:13 PM

Return it/sell if you can...that Retina is going to make a world difference.

Thunderhawks
Jul 6, 2011, 05:15 PM
How about iPad IIe
:D

I like ipad 2 Performa:-)

BC2009
Jul 6, 2011, 05:20 PM
iPad ][+

How about iPad 2gs? Why not? We had an Apple IIgs and an iPhone 3GS.

:)

Personally, if I were Apple I would want to do something to get my new product coming out in late summer or early fall for the Christmas buying season. Right now, the iPad revisions happen too soon after Christmas.

A plausible iPad 2 update though will likely just be about a RAM upgrade from 512mb to 1024mb, possibly a 128gb storage option, and maybe some new colors. With photostream and iCloud coming, I can't ever see a built-in SD-card camera card slot coming to iPad, but I could imagine Apple licensing "PhotoStream/iCloud" to some camera manufacturers. I can't see the Retina Display making an appearance this soon either -- even though I have said in the past that I would love to see an "iPad 2HD" this fall.

But I don't know jack about Apple's actual plans, which makes my opinion only as good as these analysts who keep spewing forth speculation.

justinfreid
Jul 6, 2011, 05:20 PM
Apple wants to bury its competitors as soon as possible and take an ever higher percentage of the nascent tablet market even as the market itself is expanding. They see it as an opportunity to create a near unbreakable foundation for selling their devices and services in the long term. It's easier to catch a customer who's entering the market for the first time than to tear one away from a competitor.
To keep the media and hardware reviewers attentions, a shorter product cycle is necessary, especially as a new Android or WebOS device seems to spring up all the time.
For those customers already won over, Apple still wants to squeeze dollars out of their wallets, and this type of release, upgraded specs with the same form factor, can do it.
Remember, retina-resolution icons have already been found for iOS on iPad and developers had an easy enough time adjusting for the iPhone and iPod Touch - they'd turn around and do it even more quickly for the iPad.
Plus, maybe all of the money Apple seems to be pouring into building new factories and ascertaining exclusive deals with component manufacturers could have something to do with the iPad 2 and a half.

imageWIS
Jul 6, 2011, 05:21 PM
iPad2+
iPad2S
iPad3
Etc...

Who cares what it's called? What matters is the device itself.

Mackan
Jul 6, 2011, 05:22 PM

Always wait for 3rd generation of an Apple product before you get what should have been there from the beginning.

winston1236
Jul 6, 2011, 05:26 PM
if the technology is advancing to where they can make significant upgrades faster than once a year this would make sense, they dont want to lose any of their enormous market share

motwera
Jul 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
Are We in 1980's again? THIS IS 2011 stupid analysis people :mad:

johndallas999
Jul 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
Oh noes! Your coolness quotient would would plummet.

No kidding! And what does "hella pissed" mean? Cheezy!

maclaptop
Jul 6, 2011, 05:38 PM
My eToys won't stop working if they do come out with another version. ;)

Time for a link to prove this.

Just because that's how it "used to be" that logic may no longer apply.

It's clear Apple is on a massive power trip, the front facing camera has already captured you for the database, the keystroke logger for all your usage, GPS tracking your whereabouts.

The only only remaining action is to pull all this data together, shut it down, and display a dialog box in the middle of the screen saying "Times Up"... You _Will_ now buy a new iPhone / iPad.

If you do so in the next 15 days, it will only be $xxx.

If however you do not, your current iPhone / iPad will self destruct at the end of day 15....:eek:

I swear Apple is Drunk on Money, Power, and Control.

macbook123
Jul 6, 2011, 05:39 PM

You shouldn't have. It was clear to anybody who can read and has modest interest in Mac rumors that the iPad 2 in its current form was only a way to keep people buying new stuff while they were working on getting the higher resolution display in there. It already has the 9 times faster graphics (which is hardly needed to drive this outdated resolution display) and there were rumors everywhere about the higher res screen.

johndallas999
Jul 6, 2011, 05:43 PM
Oh, for crying out loud, any 'camera' with a lens like a pinhole is a friggin' joke. Want a decent camera? Buy a decent camera. It's not rocket science!

Someday, everything will come with a piddly built-in camera. But, until then, I cherish buying underwear without. :rolleyes:

How come they can put way better cams into the iPhone4 with much less space than in an iPad? Not like we are wanting DSLR or anything but the camera compares to my kids Nintendo DSI!

Piggie
Jul 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
I've been suggesting there could be "Pro" models of iPads for over a year now, and every time I got shouted down as it would never happen.

macUser2007
Jul 6, 2011, 05:48 PM

Simply wrong. 9.7 is the perfect size, and everything is zoomable..... If you've ever seen an iPhone 4 screen (I'm going to say for certain you haven't), then you'd know precisely why this is the single most sought after feature for the iPad.

I do know the iPhone 4 screen well and I do know that the higher pixel density is not a significant advantage for me, or for most other users. When compared to my Nexus S with a Super AMOLED screen, many would prefer the SAMOLED. (Yes, I dumped my iPhone, because I want Flash on my phone, and the Nexus S runs it perfectly).

I get the feeling that those who can see the pixels on most non-retina IPS screens are all severely near-sighted and hold their phone withing 10" at a nose distance....

And how is 9.7" the "perfect size," if you have to zoom?! Most of us DO NOT want to zoom, but see the whole page comfortably.

The iPad is too small for reading standard PDFs and magazines, and it is smaller than most hard-cover books. The main reason it is common is because of higher manufacturing yields and because larger screens may cost a few pennies more.

MattInOz
Jul 6, 2011, 05:50 PM

In that case I'm hanging out for the iPad ][gs signed by "the woz". :D

Menneisyys2
Jul 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
a new version would mean that developers have to update their applications again <--- costing a lot of money

With pixel doubling (assuming they do come out with a 2*resolution screen and not a custom, ****ed-up one like SXGA), nope - all legacy apps would run just fine, as was the case with the 4th gen iPhones / iPad touches.

Hunabku
Jul 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
Wow, some commenters are really are taking sides. I still think the strongest argument for changing their release cycle has to do with the holiday season.

That being said - i think the current iPad is plenty great to be at top of a staggering number of christmas lists. However if apple were to make a shift in its release schedule so that it corresponds better with the iPhone, iOS releases and the shopping season - now would be a good time rather than later.

Thunderhawks
Jul 6, 2011, 05:57 PM

I swear Apple is Drunk on Money, Power, and Control.

It's not so clear who is drunk, from what you are posting my bet is it's not Apple.

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jul 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
There have been rumours of two new iPads this year for some time. A September release for an iPad 3 with better screen resolution was rumoured at the start of this year. At the time, I didn't believe it, but now I'm not so sure.

There is a strong business case for releasing the next iteration of the iPad as soon as possible. And that is to maintain it's enormous market share and further challenge it's competitors. If Apple have sufficient improvements in the next model to justify a new release, they should release it. All their competitors, with products in development, will have to redesign their tablets or go back to the drawing board (without getting any return on their investment so far. After all who will buy a tablet that's demonstrably inferior to the market leader?). Apple's competitors will make multi-million dollar losses, before embarking on more expensive R&D. Apple can then sell off their current iPad2 stock more cheaply to corner both the top and bottom ends of the tablet market, and still be seen as the best at tablet computers.

Steve Jobs has become the Darth Vader of tablet computing. The competitors are all Admiral Motti (on the Death Star). And there's no Grand Moff Tarkin to call for restraint! :eek:

BiteMyApple
Jul 6, 2011, 06:13 PM

The future might prove you right but an Apple keynote takes days to be set up, with Jobs monitoring carefully. Whether it's the slides or the lighting, everything has a meaning and is thoroughly planned.

Sensamic
Jul 6, 2011, 06:18 PM
I totally believe this.

When there are 5, 6, 7... rumors from different sources saying that there WILL be a new iPad this year it means that something is there.

So I believe it. So many rumors every month saying the same... Must be true.

Chwisch87
Jul 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
I heard a rumor today.

Around the launch of iOS 5, Apple will introduce the "iPad Magical". It will have a "dual retina" display at 4096*3072 of over 527 ppi. This display is completely visible in direct summer sun and has glasses-free 3d that doesn't give you a headache. It will feature TWO 20megapixel cameras for front facing SUPER HD facetime and the rear camera will have military grade night vision.

Steve Jobs will announce that you can get a 512GB model for 499. And that Final Cut Pro X will be ported the iPad Magical with multicam exclusive to that version. It will be running the new Hexacore Apple A6 processor that only uses 1 watt per day making the Ipad Magical have a battery life of over 3 years on a single charge.

The iPad magical will also support 3 4000K video output streaming at once over the new Airport Impossible.

I think the analysis people have run out of conjecture.

firewood
Jul 6, 2011, 06:28 PM
...Apple isn't going to segment iPad with "low" resolution and "high" resolution versions. There just isn't the need. Creating yet another product variation increases the inventory. It will wait until it can bring high resolution version across the board.

There is a need, and Apple is already segmenting the market: Both the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS are selling very well. And the 3GS is currently beating up many (most?) low-end Android phones in sales numbers. Two different resolutions for 2 different market price segments.

Apple can easily do this with the iPad 2, as it's GPU is at least 4X as powerful as the GPU in the iPad 1; and almost all iPad apps run decently well on the iPad 1.

It just might be the years of the iPad 2 (over a dozen models of).

blackpond
Jul 6, 2011, 06:43 PM

You can listen to music while doing other things... but watching video is more of a consuming activity, and therefore inappropriate for a handheld device.

- Steve Jobs

Not that I think there will be an iPad3 this fall, though.

gatearray
Jul 6, 2011, 06:45 PM
I see a lot of posts claiming that Apple needs a refresh for the Holiday season, but has anyone bothered to check the Christmas quarter's numbers from last year to see if this is actually true?

I have, and I can tell you that it is false. :)

The next iPad will be released in 2012. Only a select handful of wishful thinking retina display fetishists are clamoring for a retina display iPad at this time. With no viable contenders in the tablet, er, iPad market, it makes ZERO business sense to jump the gun and cut the iPad product refresh cycle in half by releasing an update this fall.

The new iPhone by itself will be enough to keep Foxconn and Apple Retail stores plenty busy raking in the cash this Holiday season.

AidenShaw
Jul 6, 2011, 06:49 PM
I was believing you until you said

It will be running the new Hexacore Apple A6 processor that only uses 1 watt per day...

That makes no sense, so I decided that you were making a joke. ;)

(The "watt per day" is nonsense. If it used "1 watt", then it would use "24 watt-hours per day", which would be tiny. A Macbook Air has a 35 watt-hour battery, which would run it for almost a day and a half. An MBP has a 77 watt-hour battery, which would run it for just over 3 days.)

Bonfire
Jul 6, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hopefully they'll get those stupid magnets out of there. I don't feel comfortable even waving my watch near those things.

ESPN
Jul 6, 2011, 06:56 PM
I still feel iPad 3, iPad2+ will come out in march next year at regular intervals, this time of the year is usually devoted to iPods and this year the iPhone5.

Glideslope
Jul 6, 2011, 07:17 PM

Yes. Relax. It's simply an iPad 2 with a higher resolution display (not Retina) and more RAM at a higher price. 2 versions will sell simultaneously.

Many will not need the higher resolution. Many will pay for it. :apple:

geenosr
Jul 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
Boy the readers of this website can really throw gas on a spark. I have an iPad 2 I bought in April and it suits me just fine. I know we all want more out of our tech toys, and Apple makes great ones with a healthy profit margin. I have no problem with that at all. However, I can't wrap my head around an updated iPad this close to the last release. Look for it in 2012 and it will have more memory, better display, etc....

I can't believe that this connection hasn't been made in this post. (and if it was posted earlier I apologize) Everyone on Mac-rumors roasted Apple for not offering an iPod touch in combination with their back to school offer. Maybe they changed their minds because the iPod touch is going to be the next "one more thing". I can easily see Apple making the iPod touch 'radically different' than the current gen device. If you make it larger than the iPhone and smaller than the iPad, they carve out the next niche for a device that has it's own place in their hierarchy of devices. It already has the stigma of being 'an iPhone that doesn't make calls'. Making it larger with a retina display fits with what their track record has been over the last 10 years.

Last but not least, I do not have an inside source, just my imagination. Take this for what it's worth....not very much.

Glideslope
Jul 6, 2011, 07:18 PM
I still feel iPad 3, iPad2+ will come out in march next year at regular intervals, this time of the year is usually devoted to iPods and this year the iPhone5.

The old timing no longer applies. :apple:

Scarpad
Jul 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
If they come out with a 7" version I'm biting , otherwise wait for Ipad 3

zachlegomaniac
Jul 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
This pace is starting to make me wish I had a land line and a record player. I guess no one's stopping me.

kiljoy616
Jul 6, 2011, 07:38 PM

So no more saying the iPad 3 now its the iPad 2 "one more thing" ;)

AidenShaw
Jul 6, 2011, 07:41 PM
This pace is starting to make me wish I had a land line and a record player. I guess no one's stopping me.

While the record player is a bit dated, there are several good reasons to keep a wired telephone circuit.

kiljoy616
Jul 6, 2011, 07:43 PM
I hate analysts.

But they are easy to make fun off. :p

superericla
Jul 6, 2011, 07:49 PM
Apple would have to update the graphics pretty significantly to upgrade the screen to 300dpi while keeping high performance in games. That or iOS developers would have to go by with having games run at lower resolutions or use lower quality textures to keep decent frame rates.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 07:51 PM
:eek: It seems like, lately, Apple has really likened their products to the literal fruit. You can't even start to enjoy them before the company releases a better tasting :apple:. It is so frustrating :mad:. Why not just release a full product instead of releasing half a product and then the other half of the product 5 months later. It is clear that Apple is very greedy.

I'll be very annoyed if I just paid $700+ for them to re-release a better product naming it something like "iPad 2 plus".

miamialley
Jul 6, 2011, 07:55 PM
I'm no insider, but my thoughts are that Apple has no incentive to debut another iPad this fall. They already have an old(er) model which it can offer people who can't afford the iPad 2. Meanwhile, the iPad 2 is selling faster than they can make it. The Christmas rush will push even MORE iPad 2's out the door. Everyone who wants an iPad by Christmas WILL buy one. By pushing out a third one, what would they gain? Besides, everyone who will buy the iPad 3 in the fall will buy one in the spring of '12 anyway.

geenosr
Jul 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
For the record (vinyl), in my earlier post about a larger iPod touch, I didn't say how I felt about it. Well, here it is...I don't need or really want one. I am very happy with my iPad 2, and I really hope my prediction is wrong. What I really want is a keynote with an awesome iPhone upgrade---one that really keeps the iPhone in line with it's competitors, and one or two features we haven't heard about, but we all will want. I'd be very happy with longer battery life, but I'm easy to please.

A Macbook Pro
Jul 6, 2011, 08:10 PM
As I've said before, why do people take this one little comment by Steve as the definitive word on the release schedule of the iPad. He was obviously just referring to how successful it was going to be, sheesh! :rolleyes:

Because it was purposely added in as a hint by Apple that there won't be another iPad this year.

MacAddict1978
Jul 6, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'm more surprise this hasn't resurrected a 7" iPad rumor. Just because they see Apple making purchases in the supply chain doesn't mean the device is the iPad 3/2+. There have been many rumors of a new IOS device coming... just saying.

Apple has never gotten into the spec wars before. I doubt they'd start now.

CIA
Jul 6, 2011, 08:38 PM
I'll say it again. Unless they are already building and stockpiling the super new iPad 3, there's no way they would release a new iPad in Sept. They will finally have stock/demand parity on the iPad 2 going into the holiday shopping season, when they will sell a bazillion iPad 2's. By Oct the build cost will have dropped to about as low as possible, and the sales will go crazy for Xmas which maximizes profit.

Why would they release a brand new, tough to build, iPad? No better way to piss off people then release the hottest new tech gadget at the start of the busiest shopping time of the year, that no one can buy because it's sold out for months like the iPad 2... And on top of that, makes Apple less money because it costs more to make? The spring is usually a quiet time for Apple, and it's perfect to have fall iPhone, and spring iPad launches as it spreads out the money over the year. Sprinkle in a few Mac (remember, they make those too) releases throughout the remaining year and you have a well oiled year round cash machine.

Ijustfarted
Jul 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
God I hope this doesn't happen :(

Just come next year damnit!!!! :mad:

aughsum
Jul 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
If this does happen...

Don't get mad - if you want the newest hardware, buy it, if not, your iPad2 will work just fine until you decide to refresh.

Loving the complaints.

:eek: It seems like, lately, Apple has really likened their products to the literal fruit. You can't even start to enjoy them before the company releases a better tasting :apple:. It is so frustrating :mad:. Why not just release a full product instead of releasing half a product and then the other half of the product 5 months later. It is clear that Apple is very greedy.

I'll be very annoyed if I just paid $700+ for them to re-release a better product naming it something like "iPad 2 plus".

Why?

Look how many android tablets are released per year, why not do a mid-cycle refresh to stay further head of the competition.

Anyone who buys apple stuff just to say they have the latest stuff is a loser.

If you like your ipad2 now, you'll like it just as much if the ipad2+ is released.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
Why?

Look how many android tablets are released per year, why not do a mid-cycle refresh to stay further head of the competition.

If you like your ipad2 now, you'll like it just as much if the ipad2+ is released.

Android devices are made buy different manufacturers and I personally don't care for the Android. Apple produces their iOS products and no one else can (that's fine too). I simply find it irritating that almost immediately after a release of a product (that I have to skrinch and save for and is difficult to get my hands on) Apple puts out a device w/ better features. It is a valid annoyance.

I understand that tech moves quickly but they could have gone ahead and placed the same camera and screen they've got on the iPhone 4 in the latest iPad. I know they will upgrade but I just wish they would release the tech they have rather now rather than saving it for another gen in 5 months time. If they have they should include it.

It's just a frustration of mine as it is for many Apple supporters.

42streetsdown
Jul 6, 2011, 09:19 PM

What do you expect, he's only an analyst.

CIA
Jul 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
Android devices are made buy different manufacturers and I personally don't care for the Android. Apple produces their iOS products and no one else can (that's fine too). I simply find it irritating that almost immediately after a release of a product (that I have to skrinch and save for and is difficult to get my hands on) Apple puts out a device w/ better features. It is a valid annoyance.

I understand that tech moves quickly but they could have gone ahead and placed the same camera and screen they've got on the iPhone 4 in the latest iPad. I know they will upgrade but I just wish they would release the tech they have rather now rather than saving it for another gen in 5 months time. If they have they should include it.

Remember it could be worse. At least with Apple you know you have roughly a 1 year release schedule for the iPhone/iPad/iPod. If you buy a new Android phone there's another hotter new one released within a month. (from another manufacturer though)

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 09:24 PM
Why?

Also, calling someone a loser because they could utilize the benefits of spec's with held in the product they purchased, is uncalled for. But I am sure you knew that. :(

CIA
Jul 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
Also, calling someone a loser because they could utilize the benefits of spec's with held in the product they purchased, is uncalled for. But I am sure you knew that. :(

I love your username.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
Why?

I love your username.

thanks... ;)

but record players have made a comeback and they work w/ iPods too;)

42streetsdown
Jul 6, 2011, 09:38 PM

I don't see how this is such a frustration to you. Apple doesn't do really short updates! most of their updates run on 10-14 month cycles.

SactoGuy18
Jul 6, 2011, 09:45 PM
If (and I emphasize IF) Apple does release a more advanced iPad this fall, it will essentially look almost like the current iPad 2 except I could see three changes:

1. Display resolution is now 1280x960 instead of 1024x768. This will improve text display quality so the iPad becomes a more viable competitor as an e-book reader.

2. The back camera on the new iPad will now be the iPhone 4 camera--five megapixel resolution with LED flash.

3. This new iPad will be slightly thicker to accommodate the iPhone 4 camera and to accommodate a bigger battery.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 09:49 PM
I don't see how this is such a frustration to you. Apple doesn't do really short updates! most of their updates run on 10-14 month cycles.

Mostly because I watch and wait and save and save. I love Apple and I love all my Apple gear. I typically don't post here usually I just read (that and my grammar sucks). Today however, this article rubbed me the wrong way. A rumor is a a rumor until it becomes a fact. Just a little venting is all :cool:

AppleScruff1
Jul 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'd like to see them update all of their products at least twice a year. It would drive the fanboys insane.

miamialley
Jul 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
If (and I emphasize IF) Apple does release a more advanced iPad this fall, it will essentially look almost like the current iPad 2 except I could see three changes:

3. This new iPad will be slightly thicker to accommodate the iPhone 4 camera and to accommodate a bigger battery.

No chance. Apple only gets thinner, not thicker...for any reason.

SPEEDwithJJ
Jul 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
No chance. Apple only gets thinner, not thicker...for any reason.

Totally agreed on your points.

With Apple being super obsessed with product thinness, if Apple couldn't get the next product iteration to be thinner, it will at worse be the exact same thickness. :D I humbly think that no way will Apple's future products be thicker than what it is right now. :o

touchtone561
Jul 6, 2011, 10:10 PM
if there is another iPad it will be some different form factor.

Probably the 7 inch :apple: that was NEVER SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN cause Steve said so. But then again "A ship that leaks at the top" isn't any good either, so he would've said there wasn't one on the way anyways.

It will have need the high res screen to help with translation.

Either that or I was a sucker to buy the :apple: iPad 2 this April, oh well whatever - bring it!

Blacklabel34
Jul 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
Im sure glad I stuck with my original iPad;)

^ You didn't hear correcty
SJ didn't say just one iPad would come out in 2011. He said, "2011, Year of the iPad2 *cough*iPad2S*cough*:D

Anyways, HOW is this news to everyone? There was rumors regarding a release of a newer iPad right when the iPad2 was released. How quickly do people forget.

NT1440
Jul 6, 2011, 10:41 PM
I understand that tech moves quickly but they could have gone ahead and placed the same camera and screen they've got on the iPhone 4 in the latest iPad. .

LOL...no, just no.

First off, the thickness of the iP4 camera means it won't fit in the current confinements of the iPad 2.

As for the yield rate of up to snuff "Retina" level 9.7" inch screen manufacturing (and therefore pricing) when the iPad 2 was original released, well this just makes me think that you don't really follow the developments in the technology world.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 10:45 PM
LOL...no, just no.

First off, the thickness of the iP4 camera means it won't fit in the current confinements of the iPad 2.

As for the yield rate of up to snuff "Retina" level 9.7" inch screen manufacturing (and therefore pricing) when the iPad 2 was original released, well this just makes me think that you don't really follow the developments in the technology world.

You are rude. :confused:

NT1440
Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 PM
You are rude. :confused:

I'm not sure how that was rude.

I'm just laughing at your assertion that something could be done easily, that simply cannot be done with the physics in this known universe.

tekker
Jul 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
We've been hearing these rumors about an "iPad 3 in September," for months. Why is everyone acting so surprised? Plus, it's not even a major upgrade to warrant buying another over your present iPad 2.

If you're really that afraid that you'll get left in the dust, I'm sure you can still sell your iPad right now for more than you bought it for.

twoodcc
Jul 6, 2011, 11:03 PM
i don't think another iPad will be released this year. maybe a bigger iPod Touch though

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 11:11 PM
LOL...no, just no.

I'm not sure how that was rude.

I'm just laughing at your assertion that something could be done easily, that simply cannot be done with the physics in this known universe.

"LOL... no, just no" read's incredibly condescending and most would read it and think ,this person is making fun. I know sarcasm well because I do it well. This just read mean. I'm over it anyway. peace :cool:

urbanlung
Jul 6, 2011, 11:11 PM
A yearly upgrade cycle is perfect. You can buy your kit confident in the fact that it won't be out of date almost on arrival. If Apple were to reduce it's refresh cycle to six months consumers would forever be in the 'I'll wait till the new model comes out' frame of mind, or if they actualy bought a device they would almost immediatly suffer buyers remorse as the rumors of the impending upgrade flood in. If you make your refresh cycle to short it falls within the consumers window of uncertainty and they will never feel fully confident or relaxed in their purchases.

tekker
Jul 6, 2011, 11:14 PM
A yearly upgrade cycle is perfect. You can buy your kit confident in the fact that it won't be out of date almost on arrival. If Apple were to reduce it's refresh cycle to six months consumers would forever be in the 'I'll wait till the new model comes out' frame of mind, or if they actualy bought a device they would almost immediatly suffer buyers remorse as the rumors of the impending upgrade flood in. If you make your refresh cycle to short it falls within the consumers window of uncertainty and they will never feel fully confident or relaxed in their purchases.

You bought an iPad 2, not the exclusivity to own the up-to-date product for x amount of time. As long as Apple continues to make more money, they'll do as they please.

Slurpy2k8
Jul 6, 2011, 11:18 PM

Yeah, you must be so frustrated! Let's all get outraged over unsubstantiated rumors that for all we know are complete ********! Even if this turns out to be true, when the hell was the last time an iOS device was updated twice in one year? What the hell are you talking about? Every single company does this EXCEPT for Apple, who stick to yearly updates for major releases. Yet, there's people like you who want to get outraged anyway, based on some fantasy you have in your head that doesn't reflect reality. How sad.

MattInOz
Jul 6, 2011, 11:18 PM

Probably the 7 inch :apple: that was NEVER SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN cause Steve said so. But then again "A ship that leaks at the top" isn't any good either, so he would've said there wasn't one on the way anyways.

It will have need the high res screen to help with translation.

Either that or I was a sucker to buy the :apple: iPad 2 this April, oh well whatever - bring it!

Just because he ruled out 7inch doesn't mean they can't do an 8inch.
Which (well 7.9inch) would be the same screen density as the original iPhone. Call it iPad nano....
iPad apps would run with no modification and seeing the recommended smallest control is still 44px the users touch target will be a bit smaller but no smaller than the iPhone.

If that happened then to iPad3 would be released at same time with 9.7inch 162dpi screen. Given apps the chance to make use of more real estate.
Then iPad 4 could go retina.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah, you must be so frustrated! Let's all get outraged over unsubstantiated rumors that for all we know are complete ********! Even if this turns out to be true, when the hell was the last time an iOS device was updated twice in one year? What the hell are you talking about? Every single company does this EXCEPT for Apple, who stick to yearly updates for major releases. Yet, there's people like you who want to get outraged anyway, based on some fantasy you have in your head that doesn't reflect reality. How sad.

Who is outraged? Huge difference between outraged and annoyed.:cool:

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 11:44 PM

Dude... relax. read my other posts and I quote, "I love Apple and I love all my Apple gear. I typically don't post here usually I just read (that and my grammar sucks). Today however, this article rubbed me the wrong way. A rumor is a a rumor until it becomes a fact. Just a little venting is all"

Slurpy2k8
Jul 6, 2011, 11:46 PM
Who is outraged? Huge difference between outraged and annoyed.:cool:

Your entire post was a rant, about how frustrated you are and how greedy apple is. I'm asking you what the hell is frustrating you? The fact that something MIGHT happen? You sound as if apple has a history and habit of what the one-upping their products a couple months after launch, which is utterly divorced from reality. Grow up, and start being annoyed by things that DO happen, instead of things that may or may not happen (and in this case, almost certainly won't). Your entire post is pretty much rubbish.

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 11:49 PM
Your entire post was a rant, about how frustrated you are and how greedy apple is. I'm asking you what the hell is frustrating you? The fact that something MIGHT happen? You sound as if apple has a history and habit of what the one-upping their products a couple months after launch, which is utterly divorced from reality. Grow up, and start being annoyed by things that DO happen, instead of things that may or may not happen (and in this case, almost certainly won't). Your entire post is pretty much rubbish.

your's is a rant. mine was a comment.

charlituna
Jul 7, 2011, 12:19 AM
I admit I may be wrong, but apple doesn't NEED to play launch one every six months.

Indeed. Especially when you consider that they are doing a major software update at this six month mark with the whole cloud service etc.

there have been no rumors of anyone being able to make an ipad sized retina display unit and frankly there's little reason for one. Text etc is already rather crisp. Double wouldn't hurt but with no 1080 video to support, 4 times the pixels is just overkill at this point, particularly when you consider the potential negative effect on battery. The biggest display improvements they need are better brightness, a not so glossy screen and a more sensitive ambient light sensor.

Add to this a better battery, better camera, perhaps a faster processor and more RAM. Maybe a shift to 32/64/128 storage, more sensitive touch screen etc.

None of which has had even a slim rumor in regards to components etc. Which likely would have started if they were going to release something this year.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY introduce their new iPhone, iPods, and iPads at the exact same time every year? That without a doubt would cause some buyers to buy up on one product instead of buying multiple over the course of a year.

Not to mention the logistic nightmare on the store level. I can't see them doing it and wasting two opportunities for press.

Probably the 7 inch :apple: that was NEVER SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN cause Steve said so.

And it won't happen. Nor will a 5 inch iPad.

What might happen is the ipod touch moving to of those sizes. Using the same iphone/ipod apps autoscaled up to fit etc. And that could be the device that the rumors are really talking about. but they are assuming that it is an ipad rather than an ipod touch because to them anything that isn't the current ipod touch size simply must be an ipad

tom vilsack
Jul 7, 2011, 12:44 AM
How about calling it "ipad 2 nbb"....

Wolfpup
Jul 7, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hmm...the rumored higher resolution screen is the only thing I can think of, unless they bump it to 4 CPUs and 4 GPUs, or maybe more realistically if they bump it to 1GB...

Yeah, 1GB + a 4x higher resolution screen (is such a thing possible?) would actually be a substantial upgrade.

I have to admit I like the higher resolution iPod screen, considering how close to your face you hold these things.

On PCs I prefer "lower" resolutions since Windows/OS X don't have true resolution independence, but at least on the iPod 4 the way they do it it really doesn't affect anything negatively, and does look better for reading say an ebook (hmm...actually I'd rather see a Nook/Kindle with 4x the resolution, come to think of it).

Of course I can still make out pixels :laugh:

Andrew K.
Jul 7, 2011, 12:59 AM
I really need to become an analyst so I can make up random "facts" and get paid MIRRIONS OF DOLL HAIRS!!!

Let's look at this seriously...

Updating before the yearly cycle: Nope. Not only would it piss off iPad 2 buyers, but they can't even get them in the store fast enough. I work at a big retailer who sells them and we get them in rarely and randomly. Our stock is barley leveling out. Also, people keep saying "well they need to catch up to the exploding tablet market". Really? Against who? The HP Touch Pad? The galaxy tab? Sure it's competion and choice but they aren't hitting numbers like the iPad. We saw how apple reacted to the market with the iPhone. ONE YEAR AT A TIME.

Add a retina display: Sure they could, but a marginal upgrade in between the real upgrade? That's basically what the iPad 2 is anyway. Like many have said on here already, it's not a smart move business-wise and they should save the selling aspect for the iPad 3.

iPad Plus: So the analyst also guesses what Apple's name branding strategy too?

Also Apple has ordered many more iPad 2s to meet demand.

All in all this rumor has spiraled a bit too far, and looking at the big picture of upgrading gadgets every 6 months is sickening.

MattInOz
Jul 7, 2011, 01:29 AM
I really need to become an analyst so I can make up random "facts" and get paid MIRRIONS OF DOLL HAIRS!!!

Let's look at this seriously...

Updating before the yearly cycle: Nope. Not only would it piss off iPad 2 buyers, but they can't even get them in the store fast enough. I work at a big retailer who sells them and we get them in rarely and randomly. Our stock is barley leveling out. Also, people keep saying "well they need to catch up to the exploding tablet market". Really? Against who? The HP Touch Pad? The galaxy tab? Sure it's competion and choice but they aren't hitting numbers like the iPad. We saw how apple reacted to the market with the iPhone. ONE YEAR AT A TIME.

Supply side constraint would, to me, be the best reason to make another size so you can source new parts from a different production lines and get two factories that don't compete with each other for major parts. Also reduces the need to be consistent between independent factories.

That way they can service more demand on the customer side plus grow more due to the additional options.

Andrew K.
Jul 7, 2011, 02:52 AM
Supply side constraint would, to me, be the best reason to make another size so you can source new parts from a different production lines and get two factories that don't compete with each other for major parts. Also reduces the need to be consistent between independent factories.

That way they can service more demand on the customer side plus grow more due to the additional options.

I'm all for additional options like a 7" iPad :D just upgrading the screen so soon in the 2 is a bit ridiculous to me.

Hell0W0rld
Jul 7, 2011, 04:15 AM

They are going to release a new super hot product right at the start of the x-mas shopping season -> Iphone 5.

miografico
Jul 7, 2011, 06:52 AM
I'm pulling for a iPad Pro with a higher-res (retina like) display and a switchable Wacom screen to allow either touch input and allow for touch to be disabled to use Wacom tech.

However, if this iPad Plus comes to fruition, it is most likely going to be a small spec change, going to Sprint radios or something like that.

As a bit of an amateur artist myself (hobby) I would absolutely love that and probably sell my little 12in Cintiq. But, it's never going to happen for the following reasons:

1.) One reason is that a Wacom digitizer would increase the thickness of the device to the extreme that Apple would find completely unacceptable with their whole millimeter mantra.

2.) Wacom has an outright monopoly on hardware based pen tablets and digitizer boards for the creative industry and isn't going to make a deal with Apple that would be cost effective for either party. They are king in an industry thats willing to pay a premium for this type of tech and they won't be handing Apple custom digitizer boards for pennies on the dollar.

3.) Apple has a pending patent for their own stylus with pressure sensitivity. Whether this will ever be released or not remains to be seen, but if it even has 256 levels of pressure I doubt I would use Sketchbook Pro on anything else, but the iPad ever again.

Neodym
Jul 7, 2011, 06:56 AM
No burning need to release another iPad given how fast they are selling unless they are hell-bent on cornering the market with a blistering upgrade pace at the risk of decreasing their maximum profit by too frequently investing in new technology, not allowing current technology to reduce in production cost while still selling acceptably, etc.
The latter is exactly an argument for the credibility of this rumor! According to other news/rumors, Apple still struggles to meet demand for the iPad 2 and therefore wants to involve more manufacturers/suppliers.

And now they could kill two birds with one stone:

By keeping the components mostly the same and just sliding in - say - a HD display and a little more ram (and maybe a pin-compatible faster processor), they could increase the total number of most components in the iPad and thus lower the costs because of economies of scale, which may counterbalance higher costs for the new components. The manufacturing process would stay the same, only that the new suppliers could start to include the new components right from the start.

That way they'd have an interim update for the customers (taking away pressure from the iPad 2) and against competition - at the same price point!

The current iPad 2 could be offered at a lower price point (e.g. 100$ down) and compete with lower cost offers by the competition. Apple said at the introduction of the iPad, that they would still have room for breathing pricewise and there has been a rumor recently that Apple approached suppliers for lower component prices.

Some people might argue that a potential iPad 2 HD without improved GPU would be slower on high-end-games due to a retina-like display, but except for a small slowdown on few game applications, the current GPU is absolutely capable of driving a HD display (9-fold performance improvement over iPad 1 vs. 4-fold resolution improvement if a HD display would have to be driven). Gamers might then stick to the entry-level iPad 2 and would probably be happy with the lower price point anyway!

Neodym
Jul 7, 2011, 06:59 AM
looking at the big picture of upgrading gadgets every 6 months is sickening.

That's probably the EXACT reason why people try to find arguments against the probability of this rumor in sheer disbelief!

Good news, y'all: You MAY update, but you DON'T NEED to!

igazza
Jul 7, 2011, 08:35 AM
maybe an 11 or 13 inch ipad2.

Wolfpup
Jul 7, 2011, 08:35 AM
If they did that, I'd just want something running real OS X, like I wanted in the first place. Microsoft's doing that, and Apple's the only other company in a position to do that.

3goldens
Jul 7, 2011, 08:36 AM
Nope, not going to happen.

Clearly, Apple has enough on their plate production wise this year and the product schedule as it is will certainly get them through the Christmas season, the only season that counts.

Then around the same time as ipad # 2 was released we will see number 3. Though we will continue to see these idiotic "analysts" and "know it alls" make these spurious predictions all intended to manipulate the market.

Its shameful really.

They know NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING. You people think Steve Jobs is personally calling these morons and giving them a heads up on Apple's production schedule, give me a freaking break.

But I know y'all love what I have come to call predication masturbation...

It is an exercise in pure futility aimed at keeping the hype going through the doldrums of summer, slow news days and precision attempts at manipulating both the stock and manufacturing markets.

It's as simple as that friends, nothing coming till 2012 and then we can look back on this thread, and I won't even bother to say I told you so!:cool:

milo
Jul 7, 2011, 08:56 AM
I think another release this year seems very unlikely. It took so long to catch up with demand on the last model, with a brand new screen it's likely a newer one would be in even shorter supply. The current model is selling like crazy, it makes the most sense to sell as many as possible and wait for sales to start dipping before disrupting sales with a new model that will likely be scarce at introduction.

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 7, 2011, 09:50 AM

An iPad 2+ is still an iPad 2...

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 7, 2011, 09:52 AM

I don't believe it's the Editor's job to interpret whether rumors are likely to be true on behalf of his or her readers. This site reports rumors, and this is a rumor. I'm so sorry that you are upset because technology may be moving forward. Calm down.

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 7, 2011, 09:54 AM

Will a new iPad make the one you have dysfunctional or unable to perform the tasks that it is satisfactorily performing currently? I don't understand your point. New products come out all the time. If you bought a Motorola Droid, you'd see a new one 6 months later. Same with Samsung and any other major electronics manufacturer. Apple is the exception here with rather predictable update cycles. Maybe Apple decided to be unpredictable this time?

If nobody is taking away your iPad 2, why are you upset? Personally I'm delighted because any iPad I buy will be totally free... you see, I decided to invest in Apple stock and I've already made $6,000 this year. That comes out to 10 iPads, doesn't it? Maybe instead of lamenting the obsolescence of a product you don't even fully utilize, invest in some Apple stock.

kirk26
Jul 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
maybe an 11 or 13 inch ipad2.

That's what she said.

AppleScruff1
Jul 7, 2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige

An iPad 2+ is still an iPad 2...

Like Jobs has never said one thing and done the opposite.

Wolfpup
Jul 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
I don't believe it's the Editor's job to interpret whether rumors are likely to be true on behalf of his or her readers. This site reports rumors, and this is a rumor. I'm so sorry that you are upset because technology may be moving forward. Calm down.

Yeah, and this corresponds to the rumors we had BEFORE the iPad 2 was launched. So it even makes some kind of sense.

Sackvillenb
Jul 7, 2011, 03:18 PM
I hope they DO move into a more frequent release cycle. Although it can be annoying if you buy something and then something newer and "better" comes along, the increased rate of obsolescence (or at least perceived obsolescence) would be worth it because of the increased rate of technological progression. The ipad 2 is pretty great, but I'd love to see it evolve and improve more rapidly and competitively...

And besides, we can time our purchases intelligently by checking MacRumors for predicted refresh cycles! :)

iEvolution
Jul 7, 2011, 09:14 PM
Pricey for existing users to keep up, not so bad for the people that are just sitting and waiting for apple to release a iPad that actually looks worth it. My opinion none of them even have the capacity to be used at full potential, not even the competitors.

I just hope there is some capacity upgrades that are worth a turd before everyone gets sold on the ridiculous cloud model.