Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi Everyone,

Is it worthed buying the final cut pro x with compressor and motion which is about 400 dollars. So far i am using adobe production CS5.5 premium. But i would like to learn to use final cut pro. I have final cut pro studio 3 install on my mac but i don't really use it. I am more leaning to using cs5.5 for now since it is easy to use for my personal use. But will it be worthed using the new final cut pro x or just wait until it has mature enought. Please advice or just using what i have right now.

baddseed

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Learn every platform that you have the resources to learn. I remember getting quite a few jobs because I was proficient in Final Cut when all the other editors in my specific genre refused to move off Avid. I am learning FCPX right now because someone somewhere is going to need me to know it. It may have a few different features in future versions but it will work pretty much the same.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Learn every platform that you have the resources to learn. I remember getting quite a few jobs because I was proficient in Final Cut when all the other editors in my specific genre refused to move off Avid. I am learning FCPX right now because someone somewhere is going to need me to know it. It may have a few different features in future versions but it will work pretty much the same.

Thanks for the sensible post. Couldn't agree more. There are plenty of editors that are pretty handy on a number of NLE. Once you learn the bread n butter basics the rest is just the stuff that is unique to each program.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
You get alot farther in this business that way, trust me :)

This... I don't like FCPX... but that doesn't mind I don't have a use for it.

I'm helping out at a directors workshop this weekend.
I'm using FCPX to edit the footage at the end of each lesson, 4 lessons a day. Simply because it supports the camera and is very fast to get a rough cut, which is all they need.

Learn lots of tools and then choose the right tool for the right job!

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well i wait like in the end of this year to buy the software. I started off using Sony vegas, then my clevo 9261 laptop was crapping out on me then that's when i decided to buy a mac pro. and had an extra 400 dollars so i bought Adobe CS5.5 production premium academic. Now i will wait end of the year to get final cut pro x.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Well i wait like in the end of this year to buy the software. I started off using Sony vegas, then my clevo 9261 laptop was crapping out on me then that's when i decided to buy a mac pro. and had an extra 400 dollars so i bought Adobe CS5.5 production premium academic. Now i will wait end of the year to get final cut pro x.
Learn After Effects, its a blast to learn and use :)

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
You might want to boycott the product in protest until it is updated.

Why is that? Because a small group of people aren't happy with it? Yeeesh.

To the OP - yes, buy it and learn it. It's an affordable software solution that is new, meaning there will be ripe opportunity to teach its use.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
The industry, the entire planet and for sure many other civilizations are moving away from FCP X. It has become a roach on the sweet fifteen party cake. No one is going to hire you in the next year or two for sure.

But people always have a copy of every software in their computers because your business is to know.

Get a copy of FCP X but not yet, wait at least 6 months, let Apple hit the wall on your favor. By that time you will see what the situation really is but trust me, no one will hire you anytime soon.

The regular FCP started to be an standard in 2007-2008, some 7 years later.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Give Apple four months. If Apple hasn't done any major upgrade on FCP X within four month, I will be the first in the line to lead you out of the door and teach you a different software. (Paraphrased from Larry Jordan)

Yes, I'd start learning FCP X. While it is by no means ready for real "professional" production yet (you shouldn't have any problems if your goal is a vimeo or YT upload), it is a joy to use.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Give Apple four months. If Apple hasn't done any major upgrade on FCP X within four month, I will be the first in the line to lead you out of the door and teach you a different software. (Paraphrased from Larry Jordan)

Yes, I'd start learning FCP X. While it is by no means ready for real "professional" production yet (you shouldn't have any problems if your goal is a vimeo or YT upload), it is a joy to use.
Maybe by then, clients will be looking at the finished product and not how it was done :)

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe by then, clients will be looking at the finished product and not how it was done :)
To paraphrase Larry Jordan again: If you use FP X in a production environment now, I'll take over your clients.

I actually like FCP X, and have finished a project with it already. Output via the "old" Compressor and DVDSP. Once you got the hang of the "new way of doing things", going back to the old, trusted FCP6 it feels clumsy and old fashioned. FCP X is by no means really ready yet for professional use, but it's god d**n fast. I'm by no means a fanboi, but have been listening intensively to Larry Jordan. If it turns out what he's suggesting, we'll have a great system soon. He's putting his reputation on the line.

I've been using FCP since version 3. It didn't do what I wanted before FCP 5. I think it is as revolutionary as the original FCP was, and who thinks that he can use this bata edition in a commercial production environment already, really has to get his brain checked.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I actually like FCP X, and have finished a project with it already. Output via the "old" Compressor and DVDSP. Once you got the hang of the "new way of doing things", going back to the old, trusted FCP6 it feels clumsy and old fashioned..
Just watched the Lynda.com free tuts and really like what Apple did with the Roll/Ripple/Slip/Slide tools. Rolled it (pardon the pun) into one simple tool.
This reminds me of how Alias|Wavefront turned PowerAnimator into what Maya is today.
Nothing wrong with that :)

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I would say:

The girl has great boobs, she is really hot, she is amazing in bed based on her videos but she betrays.

Better not to even look at her until she goes to rehab and after that lets see how she is doing.

Capish?

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
I wouldn't invest any time in learning Apple software. They have made it clear what their goal is with professionals. "Cut them loose, no money there."

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I wouldn't invest any time in learning Apple software. They have made it clear what their goal is with professionals. "Cut them loose, no money there."

They made their intentions clear when they first marketed FCP 1.0 back in 1999 when it was aimed at prosumers. Sure they added features and then more pro's picked it up since then. Now their starting over with a new rewrite and slowly bring back/add more feature

The girl has great boobs, she is really hot, she is amazing in bed based on her videos but she betrays. Better not to even look at her until she goes to rehab and after that lets see how she is doing

Depends how you look at it. The guy might be expecting just because he wines & dines her, she has to put out on the first date...lol

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Looks like you are in divorce mood... ;)
Honestly, somewhat yes (from FCP6, not the best wife in the world!).

FCP X is much speedier than the old one. It is not as refined yet (rather in a slut stage to keep the metaphors), but I like it so far... at least the cutting portion... collaboration with the team and export to anything else than the web blows.

But I'll give it some time to mature.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Honestly, somewhat yes (from FCP6, not the best wife in the world!).

FCP X is much speedier than the old one. It is not as refined yet (rather in a slut stage to keep the metaphors),

You could also say FCP X is still a virgin.

I look very much forward to FCP X. We could have a really intuitive application on our hands, letting us focus more on the creative than on the technical process (it's the way of all technology: the use gets easier, and the possibilities increase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.