PDA

View Full Version : PDF Reader Able to Transfer Folders and Files?

palpatine
Jul 6, 2011, 11:19 PM
I regularly transfer large amounts of data (several GB at once) in the form of PDF files. Is there a way to move folders to the iPad without having to select each file individually and losing the file hierarchy?

I usually use GoodReader, and sometimes iBooks, but in both cases I lose the folders and end up with hundreds of disorganized files that have to be put back into folders within the apps. It seems that anything utilizing iTunes when tethering doesn't allow the folders to come along for the ride.

As far as I know, Dropbox and other apps that retain the folder hierarchies rely exclusively on wireless and suffer from size limits (2GB for Dropbox). Because I am transferring huge amounts each time, this is less than ideal.

palpatine
Jul 7, 2011, 06:42 AM
I regularly transfer large amounts of data (several GB at once) in the form of PDF files. Is there a way to move folders to the iPad without having to select each file individually and losing the file hierarchy?

I usually use GoodReader, and sometimes iBooks, but in both cases I lose the folders and end up with hundreds of disorganized files that have to be put back into folders within the apps. It seems that anything utilizing iTunes when tethering doesn't allow the folders to come along for the ride.

As far as I know, Dropbox and other apps that retain the folder hierarchies rely exclusively on wireless and suffer from size limits (2GB for Dropbox). Because I am transferring huge amounts each time, this is less than ideal.

oh no... it looks like there is not :(

err404
Jul 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
This is a slight hack, but it does not require JB on your iOS devices. Applications running on your Mac can access the application file system on your iOS device. There are a few Mac applications that may help you perform a direct USB copy of your folders.

The first is iPhone Explorer (by Macroplant). This app exposes the iOS file system to your Mac/PC. You can use it to browse to your app folder and copy file back and forth directly via USB. Be careful with this one. Some apps will create a local metadata file that will not be updated when using this app. I love this tool and use it regularly, but YMMV.

anther is GoodReaderUSB (also by Macroplant). This app basically takes the underling engine from iPhone Explorer, but optimizes the UI to interface more gracefully with GoodReader. The issue here is that Macroplant does not make GoodReader, so compatibility will updates is not guaranteed.

I also just noticed Awesome Files on the Macroplant web site. This looks like an intriguing option and should be better supported since they make both the iOS app and the Mac/PC client. I'm going to try this one out tonight.

palpatine
Jul 7, 2011, 07:35 PM
This is a slight hack, but it does not require JB on your iOS devices. Applications running on your Mac can access the application file system on your iOS device. There are a few Mac applications that may help you perform a direct USB copy of your folders.

The first is iPhone Explorer (by Macroplant). This app exposes the iOS file system to your Mac/PC. You can use it to browse to your app folder and copy file back and forth directly via USB. Be careful with this one. Some apps will create a local metadata file that will not be updated when using this app. I love this tool and use it regularly, but YMMV.

anther is GoodReaderUSB (also by Macroplant). This app basically takes the underling engine from iPhone Explorer, but optimizes the UI to interface more gracefully with GoodReader. The issue here is that Macroplant does not make GoodReader, so compatibility will updates is not guaranteed.

I also just noticed Awesome Files on the Macroplant web site. This looks like an intriguing option and should be better supported since they make both the iOS app and the Mac/PC client. I'm going to try this one out tonight.

i took your advice. wow. goodreaderusb worked flawlessly. i've been wanting to do this ever since i got the ipad. managing my stuff is SO much easier now that i don't have to jump through hoops in itunes.