PDA

View Full Version : CaseCrown iPad 2 Omni Cover Case

Hitomic
Jul 6, 2011, 11:48 PM
Has anyone tried out this case enough to give a review on it? http://www.casecrown.com/ipad2/omni/ipad2-omni-cover-case-black

http://www.casecrown.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/omni.jpg

techdude6693
Jul 7, 2011, 12:18 AM
They just released this case, and Casecrown contacted me and they're sending one my way. I should have it by early next week, then I'll let you know some early impressions, then have a full review in a couple weeks

nigelquest
Jul 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Ordered off ebay for $22 shipped. Pictures look good. I just hope the cover is the same material as the smart case and that the back is rubberized or matte. I figured for the price I might as well give it a chance.

nigelquest
Jul 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Oh, if you want to order directly from casecrown there is a 30% coupon on retailmenot.com

Hitomic
Jul 7, 2011, 07:22 PM
They just released this case, and Casecrown contacted me and they're sending one my way. I should have it by early next week, then I'll let you know some early impressions, then have a full review in a couple weeks

That's great! I look forward to your review before I make a purchase but the case does look promising.

Oh, if you want to order directly from casecrown there is a 30% coupon on retailmenot.com

Thanks for the heads up on the discount code.

techdude6693
Jul 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
Well, I got the case in early. The polycarbonate shell is a nice soft touch material, but it does get dirty after some time of use. Cutouts however are perfect.

The top part looks like the smart cover, but the inside isn't lined in microfiber, it seems to be a polyurethane material on the inside and outside. The magnets are pretty powerful and the stand does stay in place

Its pretty good so far, but lets see how it holds up

nigelquest
Jul 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
That is awesome. I was concerned about the magnets. Is there a magnet in the back of the case to hold the cover back?

Well, I got the case in early. The polycarbonate shell is a nice soft touch material, but it does get dirty after some time of use. Cutouts however are perfect.

The top part looks like the smart cover, but the inside isn't lined in microfiber, it seems to be a polyurethane material on the inside and outside. The magnets are pretty powerful and the stand does stay in place

techdude6693
Jul 8, 2011, 11:51 AM
That is awesome. I was concerned about the magnets. Is there a magnet in the back of the case to hold the cover back?

I wish there was, but sadly no.

nigelquest
Jul 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the reply., Ill try the feeler gauge trip when mine comes in and report back.

firoze
Jul 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply., Ill try the feeler gauge trip when mine comes in and report back.

Hi, I was also hoping it had a magnet on the back.. What did u mean by "feeler gauge trip"?

firoze
Jul 8, 2011, 02:00 PM

Hi, im very interested in this case. Could you post some pics so we can get a better idea of what it looks like? Also, how is the quality of the leather front cover? Is it comparable to the Apple Smart cover?

Digidesign
Jul 8, 2011, 03:50 PM
is the plastic smooth or rubbery? Wondering about the amount of grip.

techdude6693
Jul 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
Here are some pictures (sorry about the quality, they're from my phone)

@Digidesign - The plastic is rubbery and soft touch

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/scarboy66/image.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/scarboy66/image_2.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/scarboy66/image_1.jpg

dbarron
Jul 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for those shots. Can you take one of the edge/hinge between the cover and the back? Is it actually hinged, or just a solid piece that bends? What are your thoughts on how that portion will hold up over time?

I've been eyeing the STM Skinny; however, I didn't really like the flap. If this CaseCrown is relatively thin/light, it could be the perfect answer.

techdude6693
Jul 8, 2011, 05:21 PM
its actually hinged on. It actually feels very slim in the hands. As for the top flap, it seems to be made of a vinyl material, it was a bit stiff to bend when I got it, but it loosened up now.

nigelquest
Jul 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
Typo. Feeler gauge trick. Place a thin piece of metal inside the back of the case and if the magnet is strong and the plastic thin the cover will stick. Some people did this with the belkin snap case.

Hi, I was also hoping it had a magnet on the back.. What did u mean by "feeler gauge trip"?

firoze
Jul 9, 2011, 02:45 AM
Here are some pictures (sorry about the quality, they're from my phone)

@Digidesign - The plastic is rubbery and soft touch

Image (http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/scarboy66/image.jpg)

Image (http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/scarboy66/image_2.jpg)

Image (http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/scarboy66/image_1.jpg)

Thanks for the pics! It looks like a nice case... Do let us know if you have any more comments or observations about it...

firoze
Jul 9, 2011, 02:50 AM
Typo. Feeler gauge trick. Place a thin piece of metal inside the back of the case and if the magnet is strong and the plastic thin the cover will stick. Some people did this with the belkin snap case.

Oh I see. Could you point me to the site where it shows how it was done with the Belkin case? Would like to see exactly how it's done. Thanks!

vega07
Jul 9, 2011, 04:45 AM
This looks like a really awesome case! Exactly what I wanted.

Maybe I will cancel my Toblino 2 and get this one. I will greatly appreciate more in-depth reviews.

vega07
Jul 9, 2011, 05:37 AM
Ordered off ebay for $22 shipped. Pictures look good. I just hope the cover is the same material as the smart case and that the back is rubberized or matte. I figured for the price I might as well give it a chance.

Thanks, got it from ebay too.

This is exactly what I'm looking for and from the reviews and pictures, the case looks great. Hopefully, it will be the first and last cover I buy.

hung
Jul 9, 2011, 09:34 AM
Too bad it doesn't come in white.

nigelquest
Jul 9, 2011, 10:42 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12597674&postcount=170

Oh I see. Could you point me to the site where it shows how it was done with the Belkin case? Would like to see exactly how it's done. Thanks!

vega07
Jul 9, 2011, 02:59 PM
edit: nvm. I was looking at it wrong.

Casecrown says that this is their best case for the iPad by far. Interesting. I hope it lives up to the hype.

bobright
Jul 9, 2011, 03:15 PM
Wow it looks really really nice.

To those that have it is it really slim compared to the majority of cases out there? Or is it bulky? It seems slim and that's just what I'm looking for

Another question is the smart cover thing detachable?

vega07
Jul 9, 2011, 03:42 PM
Haven't received the case yet, but I'm 100% sure it's not detachable.

techdude6693
Jul 9, 2011, 04:32 PM
Wow it looks really really nice.

To those that have it is it really slim compared to the majority of cases out there? Or is it bulky? It seems slim and that's just what I'm looking for

Another question is the smart cover thing detachable?

No its not detachable. I've only been using folio cases (casecrown bold trifold, zoogue, etc.) and in comparison its pretty thin, but Idk about against cases like the feather or se nude

bobright
Jul 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
No its not detachable. I've only been using folio cases (casecrown bold trifold, zoogue, etc.) and in comparison its pretty thin, but Idk about against cases like the feather or se nude

would you (or any other owners) happen to know if it fits with a full body skin on the iPad?

vega07
Jul 11, 2011, 12:52 AM
found this youtube review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvaHw598KU

looks promising. can't wait to get it.

techdude6693
Jul 11, 2011, 03:07 AM
would you (or any other owners) happen to know if it fits with a full body skin on the iPad?

no full body skins work

firoze
Jul 11, 2011, 08:51 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12597674&postcount=170

Thanks for that Nigel! Neat trick, simple to implement.

firoze
Jul 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
found this youtube review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvaHw598KU

Thanks for the link.

@techdude6693 The video mentions that one top section, the one closest to the hinge does not lie flat against the iPad's screen. Is that so with your case too?

techdude6693
Jul 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the link.

@techdude6693 The video mentions that one top section, the one closest to the hinge does not lie flat against the iPad's screen. Is that so with your case too?

Yes that is true with mine as well. Also it seems that the stitching around the edges is starting to wear

firoze
Jul 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes that is true with mine as well. Also it seems that the stitching around the edges is starting to wear

That's a pity... Would have been a great case if it was just a little better made and if it held up well.

techdude6693
Jul 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
That's a pity... Would have been a great case if it was just a little better made and if it held up well.

Yea, its not as bad as it seems, but personally, I still like my Zoogue case the most. Its a bit bulkier, but I've been using it longer than the Casecrown and its still in perfect condition.

vega07
Jul 14, 2011, 01:24 AM
Received the case today. I really love it. Perfect for my needs - ultra slim and sufficiently protected.

There is definitely a space between the flap and the iPad like the YouTube reviewer said. I can live with this, and it looks like the space is getting smaller with more and more use.

I wish it came in more colors.

nigelquest
Jul 14, 2011, 02:06 PM
Had min for a few days. It fits well with excellent cut outs. The magnets are okay. Maybe 70% the strength of Apples. The cover will lay flat with no gap after it breaks in. I folded all the creases both ways repeatedly to expedite the process. It definitely picks up finger prints, but this isn't too distracting. All and all it was well worth $22.

bobright
Jul 14, 2011, 03:17 PM
no full body skins work

Is that no as in, yes full body skin will work?!

They will or will not work?

Thx

techdude6693
Jul 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
Is that no as in, yes full body skin will work?!

They will or will not work?

Thx

sorry for being unclear, they will not work. The case is too tight fitting

bobright
Jul 14, 2011, 03:26 PM
sorry for being unclear, they will not work. The case is too tight fitting

Ahh gotcha the hunt continues, thanks for clarifying.

techdude6693
Jul 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ahh gotcha the hunt continues, thanks for clarifying.

Get the Zoogue or Casecrown's Bold Tri-fold.

dbarron
Jul 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm really happy with the CaseCrown Omni. It's the minimalist-but-full-coverage protection I've been trying to find.

All the previous reviews and video are spot on. The only additional comments I would add are:

(a) The top cover is slim and there is no extra lip to protrude around the edge. Therefore, I find I have to either slip a fingernail under the edge or use the little section above the charging port to start lifting the cover.

(b) I was pleasantly surprised to find both a free screen protector and a free Alupen-style stylus included in the package. Thanks, CaseCrown!

nigelquest
Jul 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
After a few weeks overall Ill give the case a C+. I do like it and the price was great. However, my main concern is the magnets are not strong enough to hold when standing. They come loose and the flap just wedges in place. It still stands, but its pretty wobbly. Otherwise it was been good.

vega07
Jul 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
After a few weeks overall Ill give the case a C+. I do like it and the price was great. However, my main concern is the magnets are not strong enough to hold when standing. They come loose and the flap just wedges in place. It still stands, but its pretty wobbly. Otherwise it was been good.

I think the magnets can be stronger, but they're definitely strong enough. I am not having the problems you are. Perhaps you can get a replacement?

When you say standing, do you mean standing in landscape mode with the flap folded around for back-support?

techdude6693
Jul 21, 2011, 04:51 PM

I've got to agree with you. The magnets are fine when folded over the screen, but when putting it in the stand, its not as strong as I'd like it to be. Also, it just feels cheap compared to other cases I've tried.

vega07
Jul 29, 2011, 06:52 PM
I dropped my iPad today about 3 feet from the floor. The back of this case feels very sturdy, but it did not protect my iPad. It landed on the bottom corner/edge. The case was very mildly damaged but when I took out the iPad, there was a big dent with scratches. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I thought this case would at least protect the iPad's corner (where it is fully covered) from a 3 feet fall.

Based on this experience, I can't recommend this case any longer.

I'm having bad luck today.

dbarron
Jul 30, 2011, 07:15 PM
The case has no padding; why would you expect it to absorb a 3' drop? Seems to me your expectations were a bit lofty.

zhoulana
Jul 31, 2011, 06:53 PM

Thanks for sharing!

pdutta2000
Jul 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
I've had this case about a week and love it. It's just perfect for my use. The back shell is soft touch so it doesn't slip and my cover lies flat enough for me. Really I was looking for something to keep my kids at bay until I could grab the iPad away. I also love that the case is so slim.

vega07
Aug 1, 2011, 06:44 PM
The case has no padding; why would you expect it to absorb a 3' drop? Seems to me your expectations were a bit lofty.

My iPhone cover material is made of the same material and I've dropped it several times from higher heights with no damage to the phone.

I don't think cases necessarily need to have real padding to absorb impact. The back cover seems ideal to protect the iPad from minor falls.

But now that I think about it, because the iPad is such a big device, very few covers can protect it from dents. Unless the case was built ground up for drop protection.