PDA

View Full Version : Random Freezing G5, (won't start afterwards without rest period)

blackhand1001
Jul 7, 2011, 09:45 AM
I have a powermac g5 dual 1.8 that freezes after being used for a while and will freeze constantly afterwards if you try to use it after it freezes sometimes not even getting past the gong sound. I am leaning towards a heat problem but it doesn't seem to be related to the cpus. I am thinking maybe gpu related or hopefully not the logicboard. I have reinstalled the OS and the problem still exists. Anyone have any suggestions on fixes for this machine. I have also swapped the memory with other sticks i have laying around, only used the original apple memory and used only the upgraded memory. Makes not difference so its not memory related.

adcx64
Jul 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
Could possibly be the psu starting to die. :(

840quadra
Jul 7, 2011, 11:05 AM
Have you installed an application to monitor temperatures on your G5? How clean and well working are your fans in your system?

I had heat problems when I had the back of my G5 to close to a wall, it wasn't exhausting enough heat out the back.

blackhand1001
Jul 7, 2011, 11:44 AM
^ its not against a wall and the fans are working alright it seems. The g5's themselves seem to be kept cool. When it freezes the mouse just stops moving and nothing responds. After a few minutes of being frozen the fans start ramping up.

840quadra
Jul 7, 2011, 11:48 AM
Sounds good, but do you have an application installed that monitors temps system wide? It is possible that the fans for the GPU, and graphics are not fully functional too.

Have you tried to re-seat the memory and or try to troubleshoot those?

blackhand1001
Jul 7, 2011, 12:15 PM
Sounds good, but do you have an application installed that monitors temps system wide? It is possible that the fans for the GPU, and graphics are not fully functional too.

Have you tried to re-seat the memory and or try to troubleshoot those?

I have reseated the memory several times. I have dumped the pram, removed the pram battery to make sure its completely gone. It seems like the cpu fans aren't changing speeds too much like there running low enough to see individual blades i haven't seen them ramp up, even when i tested by rendering a video.

brycemason
Jul 8, 2011, 10:15 AM
Sounds like heat. Check the graphics card die. Maybe you need to repaste.

sirozzy
Jul 8, 2011, 01:06 PM
Recently i had same problem with my MacMini G4. It starts freezing at some point. Problem was the Hard Drive. Replaced and no problem since.

Try different hard drive and let us know.