Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martendeparten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Hey guys and girls!

I had to rent a 3rd camera the other day to film a buddy of mine playing some guitar... It was a SONY HD cam that films 1080p. Problem is; all the files are .MTS. To edit it in Final Cut Pro, I need to convert them.

Since I only used this camera once, and will never use it again, I'd rather have a free converter then to have to pay topdollar for this 1 occasion...

I've googled and tried many a program, but they all have downsides; like only the program will only convert the first 5 minutes (the clips are all about 15 minutes long), they'll leave a watermark, or won't operate on mac OS...

Anyone know of a program that could help me?

Thanx

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
Do you mean Final Cut Pro or the new X version?

Though the new X version should support it natively and convert it in the background to prores for easier editing?

I'm in the same boat to find something to convert mts to mov. No success.

BillMidwest

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
MTS Video Converts

There are three programs available in the Mac App Store that will convert camcorder MTS. I have not used them, however a friend of mine has and he recommended Video-Converter by Shenzhen Wondershare Software.

There are several programs in the Mac App Store using the identical name, so check that the version you choose is by Shenzhen.

When he bought his copy it was $39.99; it's now available for $11.99.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
^

I recently bought a Canon Vixia HF S20. I tried the free version of Wondershare and the quality of the test footage was pretty poor. I'm not sure if it was just the fact that it was the free version, and the settings were limited, but the quality didn't look so hot to me. I read elsewhere that Roxio Toast would convert, but no verification on that. If anyone knows a solution, I'd love to hear it myself.

JazzyJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
The best quality one that I found was:

Elgato Turbo.264 HD ($99.99)

It's fast and good quality.

or you could try VOLTAIC HD, also great, but takes longer and the files are a lot bigger, but it's cheaper ($39.99)

Elgato was faster and offers smaller files.

Voltaic HD files were pretty big.

Recycle

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
rewrap mts files

You surely want to convert video files with no image loss. Then, what you should do is "rewrap" files.

Here a free warez to do it
http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

Please dont convert your media in mp4 file as i read in a previous post, no you will definetly loose a lot of details doing it. Mp4 is a distribution codec and not an editing one. Native FCP "Prorez" codec has very good performance on quality and fluidity of decoding: just use it.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
^

You surely want to convert video files with no image loss. Then, what you should do is "rewrap" files.

I tried that program and it seems to work really well. However, when I use the 'rewrap' option, the files are encoded into h.264. Is that considered lossless? And is this a desirable format? When I tried to play those files in QT player they would freeze up.

When I used the DVCProHD option, the files worked great. They were really huge though. Like almost 900mb for 1 minute. I guess it all just depends on what you need. Thanks for the info!

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I tried that program and it seems to work really well. However, when I use the 'rewrap' option, the files are encoded into h.264. Is that considered lossless? And is this a desirable format? When I tried to play those files in QT player they would freeze up.

When I used the DVCProHD option, the files worked great. They were really huge though. Like almost 900mb for 1 minute. I guess it all just depends on what you need. Thanks for the info!

ClipWrap doesn't encode as h264, AVCHD is h264 so it's just remuxing (muxing in to another container). So yes, it is lossless.

Not sure if this is any good or relevance. Just saw this on this blog that I follow.

App Store - Smart Converter (MTS > MOV)

It is, sort of, it performs the same task but the resultant file won't open in FCPX due to FFMPEG muxing in a funky manner. That write up on it was pretty horrible though, due to the lack of distinction between encoding and remuxing.

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
Just on a side note, isn't h246 itself a compressed format, ie. not very good for editing?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Whatever the mts files are they are a pain to work with unless you use the sony software. It doesn't need to recode them but the editing facilities are limited but it does have one touch disc burn which puts it straight to dvd in blue ray compatible format. But software doesn't work on a mac so you need virtual box to run xp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.