PDA

View Full Version : Two Turntables And An iPhone: iDJ Live

MacRumors
Jul 7, 2011, 03:37 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/07/two-turntables-and-an-ipad-idj-live/)

USqh9RKaWG0
Back in the day, DJ's needed to bring hundreds of CD's (or LP's, natch) along to a gig, because in the DJ game, one needs to be prepared. Nowadays, all a DJ needs is an iPhone and Numark's latest product, iDJ Live (http://www.numark.com/idjlive).

The rig hooks to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch via the 30-pin dock connector and interfaces with Algoriddim's djay app (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/02/djay-application-for-ipad-released/):
iDJ Live features two large performance platters and a central mixer section with a crossfader, buttons and knobs to recreate the two-decks-and-a-mixer setup that professional DJs prefer. iDJ Live comes complete with an iPad DJ stand, custom audio cable for connecting to a sound system and headphones, and 30-pin dock connector for iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.iDJ Live is $99.95, find a dealer (http://www.numark.com/content73) for more info.

djay for iPhone/iPod Touch (http://appshopper.com/music/djay-for-iphone-ipod-touch) is on sale for $0.99. [iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/app/djay-for-iphone-ipod-touch/id424492403)]

djay for iPad (http://appshopper.com/music/djay) is $19.99. [iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/app/djay/id382604769)]

Article Link: Two Turntables And An iPhone: iDJ Live (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/07/two-turntables-and-an-ipad-idj-live/)

kurtStiewens
Jul 7, 2011, 03:41 PM
That's an iPhone.

Littleman
Jul 7, 2011, 03:50 PM
or big decks and someone with massive hands!

marksman
Jul 7, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like the dj live device needs to be a little heavier seems to slide too much

lazyrighteye
Jul 7, 2011, 03:59 PM
or big decks and someone with massive hands!

Ha! :D
While the headline & photo don't quite align, the device works with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. So...

jlgolson
Jul 7, 2011, 04:00 PM
Ha! :D
While the headline & photo don't quite align, the device works with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. So...You're right! Fixed!

lazyrighteye
Jul 7, 2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like the dj live device needs to be a little heavier seems to slide too much

Good observation. It does look a bit light/flimsy.
And the link to their site offers very little (eg: zero tech specs).
For $100, I expect more info and a better build (yes, I realize I have not seen/touched one in person).

MacBOS
Jul 7, 2011, 04:38 PM
It's a start at least, hopefully better thing pop up in the market

This is what all DJ's wanting to use a iPad for playing was waiting for

Wolffmann34
Jul 7, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry, but that noise gives respectable DJs a bad name.

DJs have been people who play music and host a show for years, society needs to come up with a different term for whatever you call that noise.

Wolffmann34

"A good DJ knows what you want to hear before you request it."

SpinThis!
Jul 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
society needs to come up with a different term for whatever you call that noise.
Microwave DJs.

Liquorpuki
Jul 7, 2011, 05:11 PM
Good observation. It does look a bit light/flimsy.
And the link to their site offers very little (eg: zero tech specs).
For $100, I expect more info and a better build (yes, I realize I have not seen/touched one in person).

You're not gonna be able to find any piece of gear with good build quality for $100.

Microwave DJs.

Yup

lowonthe456
Jul 7, 2011, 06:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to learn basic beat matching and such....just for fun....where do I go? (be nice)

daskindt
Jul 7, 2011, 06:16 PM
Numark is not known for professional grade DJ gear.

This definitely looks flimsy and a serious DJ would break that thing down in no time.

It will be interesting to see if the real manufacturers of prograde DJ gear come up with similar tools in the near future though.

zen.state
Jul 7, 2011, 06:38 PM
Sadly its all a very distant second to real vinyl with a diamond needle. A good example of how technology can actually devolve some things.

Foxglove9
Jul 7, 2011, 06:40 PM
That's the same exact instrument as the ION Discover DJ, only designed to work with iOS.

http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1311

SlugBlanket
Jul 7, 2011, 06:50 PM

DJs have been people who play music and host a show for years, society needs to come up with a different term for whatever you call that noise.

Wolffmann34

There are many respectable DJ's who make a living playing this sort of thing and demonstrating higher levels of skill in mixing and scratching flawlessly to appreciative audiences.

Whilst I'm with you in that scratching is not my thing, dismissing it as simply "noise" is to me quite telling. You didn't really expect a master mix of Bach and Mozart or Simon & Garfunkel did you ?

E.Lizardo
Jul 7, 2011, 08:09 PM
Technology is awesome!Now for only $120.00 plus an iPhone you can make the most hideous godawful noise ever!
Throw away that old chalkboard and save your fingernails!

metanoia
Jul 8, 2011, 01:50 AM
Wow, what a toy. For $200 more (Scratch Duo) you could have a bit better setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msdFDCcdwaA (lyrcs NSFW!)

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i0OLlrK49Q (although he is using machine)

DJ skillz not included :) Oh, and did I mention this does not require an iPhone, which could just start ringing all of a sudden in the middle of your set?

MrCubes
Jul 8, 2011, 02:56 AM
DJ skillz not included :) Oh, and did I mention this does not require an iPhone, which could just start ringing all of a sudden in the middle of your set?

Heh, I had that once when I was using my iPhone as a Keynote remote in a conference presentation.

Do remember to switch off the voice connection!

jowie
Jul 8, 2011, 04:16 AM
Sadly its all a very distant second to real vinyl with a diamond needle. A good example of how technology can actually devolve some things.
Then get two decks and spend 10/$10 per vinyl. Be my guest.

I spent 10,000 on my collection and it was fun at the time... But technology moves on. It's a great step in the right direction IMHO.

Joe (bored with vinyl purism)

Wendell F
Jul 8, 2011, 05:58 AM

So only radio DJ's are real DJ's? Dunno about that. Do people who spin records at weddings and clubs count? Plus -- "noise?" Listen to a real scratch DJ (Kid Koala, P-Love, DJ Q-bert) and tell me it's just "noise". This video is just someone working knobs on a toy.

I spent 10,000 on my collection and it was fun at the time... But technology moves on. It's a great step in the right direction IMHO.

I agree with you if you're just looking to play music and match beats. However, if you're looking for scratch turntableism, this can't sonically match a needle with vinyl. I'm not a purist for the sake of purism. A digital scratching sound placed over a juggling mp3 is not the same. Scratching a recording of a trumpet does not sound the same as scratching a spoken word when you're talking vinyl.

And, yes, I'm a curmudgeon. I spent years scratching, practicing bringing the record back to the same spot over and over while working the fader. The button on these types of controllers that cues you to a start point is cheating. :p

jowie
Jul 8, 2011, 07:29 AM
I agree with you if you're just looking to play music and match beats. However, if you're looking for scratch turntableism, this can't sonically match a needle with vinyl. I'm not a purist for the sake of purism. A digital scratching sound placed over a juggling mp3 is not the same. Scratching a recording of a trumpet does not sound the same as scratching a spoken word when you're talking vinyl.
Are you saying that the scratching on these devices is just a sound effect? The scratching sound you are hearing has been generated from the sample information and is directly emulating what it would sound like to scratch the same audio on vinyl. What's the difference (bar the "warm" additional sound vinyl gives)?

And, yes, I'm a curmudgeon. I spent years scratching, practicing bringing the record back to the same spot over and over while working the fader. The button on these types of controllers that cues you to a start point is cheating. :p
I don't see the guy in the video "cheating". And if you're not any good, people are going to spot you're no good. Just because technology is helping you it's not the be-all and end-all.

It's like people saying "electronic music is not real music" all over again. Embrace the future! :)

zen.state
Jul 8, 2011, 07:59 AM

Sounds to me like you were more a trendy type collector. You're certainly missing the whole point. You've devolved yourself. Is that wise? Is that fair to yourself to have such horrible devolved standards? I don't think so.

Not everything on earth needs to evolve. Also, how is it evolution when the end result sounds like garbage? Do you actually think this flimsy plastic piece of junk can legitimately replace the real thing with any level of quality?

It's truly sad how easily people accept 2nd or even 3rd rate junk as a legitimate answer to fill a need. I would hope that Mac people would have higher standards.

jowie
Jul 8, 2011, 08:07 AM
Sounds to me like you were more a trendy type collector. You're certainly missing the whole point. You've devolved yourself. Is that wise? Is that fair to yourself to have such horrible devolved standards? I don't think so.
Trendy type collector? No, I played nightclubs. I needed records, so I bought them. I also enjoyed having a good collection. I still enjoy that collection, but I do also have a lot of stuff I no longer listen to which I'm selling off on Discogs. I'm happy that others are getting the enjoyment out of them I once did. :)

I still love vinyl, I just hate it when people refuse to embrace digital technology. In some ways it doesn't have the flexibility of vinyl, but it is catching up. Why not have both?

Not everything on earth needs to evolve. Also, how is it evolution when the end result sounds like garbage? Do you actually think this flimsy plastic piece of junk can legitimately replace the real thing with any level of quality?
Are you saying Traktor Scratch Pro is garbage, or just this iDJ thing? I'm no scratch expert, but what I've seen people do using digital equipment sounds incredibly good.

It's truly sad how easily people accept 2nd or even 3rd rate junk as a legitimate answer to fill a need. I would hope that Mac people would have higher standards.
Fill a need? Why can't people use it because they feel it is right for them? Just because you want to scratch with vinyl, why should everyone else?

zen.state
Jul 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Let me just make it clear that I embrace technology very much and make my living as a computer tech. It's only really DJing that I stay true to the old ways.

So I don't seem like a fraud I am including a snap shot of my setup. I spin mostly Reggae and Dub but also some Hip Hop and Trip Hop.:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/865/380612425503fa74318az.jpg

Dual Tech 12's and a Stanton mixer.

plben
Jul 8, 2011, 09:16 AM
Digital Vinyl System.

Now this is by far more interesting that that Numark Ion controller:

PAHhJQQw7dI

MacNewsFix
Jul 8, 2011, 03:44 PM
I can't remember the last night club or wedding that I've been to that didn't have a DJ flanked by glowing :apple: logos.

jowie
Jul 8, 2011, 04:49 PM
Love the way the vinyl purists keep marking me down on here! :D

It's not as if I haven't spent a large portion of my life buying the stuff... :p

zen.state
Jul 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
Love the way the vinyl purists keep marking me down on here! :D

It's not as if I haven't spent a large portion of my life buying the stuff... :p

Ladies and gentlemen.. the winner for the most petty post in the thread.

daskindt
Jul 9, 2011, 12:18 AM
Digital Vinyl System.

Now this is by far more interesting that that Numark Ion controller:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=PAHhJQQw7dI)

That's pretty cool.

jowie
Jul 9, 2011, 03:18 AM
Ladies and gentlemen.. the winner for the most petty post in the thread.

Really? I thought being marked down for saying "wow" is probably more petty... :p

zen.state
Jul 9, 2011, 08:14 AM
Really? I thought being marked down for saying "wow" is probably more petty... :p

Why do you even pay attention to those post ratings? I never do. As long as you feel good about the words you post then thats all that matters.

My advice is just ignore those numbers. They're meaningless.

Wendell F
Jul 9, 2011, 08:40 AM
I don't see the guy in the video "cheating". And if you're not any good, people are going to spot you're no good. Just because technology is helping you it's not the be-all and end-all.

The guy up top, not so much. This guy, tho:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWvCzHs65M

At around 0:50 you see him using the cue button for an effect that took me years to pull off cleanly on a battle pad and 2 tables. Interestingly, tho, he does the same thing without the cue button, so he's clearly got skills.

And when I break balls about "cheating," I'm half joking. It's like the way my dad complains about all the overdrive pedals hooked up to my amp when, "Back in my day we had to cut slits in our speakers and overload the tubes and walk backwards through the snow. Now you dang kids just need to tap your feet!" I'm just being a curmudgeon.

At the end of the day, if this kind of thing helps keep turntablism alive and kicking, so be it.

Sweetbike40
Jul 10, 2011, 07:00 AM
I agree 100%!

Wolffmann34

Atlantico
Jul 10, 2011, 09:07 AM
In a place with some seriously powerful soundsystem, amazing bass and special speakers for the higher Hz sounds, in other words with the entire spectrum of sound at your fingertips, then the hypothetical DJ decides to play compressed mp3s through a mini-jack!

Perhaps if connected to some very basic speakers in one's room and one was holding a small gettogether and wanted to show off some DJing skillz, then sure.

Otherwise, this is the equivalent of plugging a 360p low bitrate Youtube video in a 1080p projector. Yes, we can hear the difference when you plug in your iPod and start iDJing. :p:cool:

batchtaster
Jul 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
society needs to come up with a different term for whatever you call that noise.

You sound like your parents. And their parents before them (damn hippy Beatles). And theirs before them (damn non-harpsichord music). Circle of life.

Sackvillenb
Jul 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
I think people need to remember the purpose of a cheap $100 controller like this. It's an entry level product. No pro is ever going to use this... (unless it's as a portable mini rig for fun). This is for teenagers or people who are new to "DJ"ing. If I want an introduction to dj'ing and possible turntableism, am I going to spend thousands of dollars on a fancy rig and a collection of vinyl? Probably not. But getting this controller and and iphone or whatever allows someone to try it out and see what it's like. And maybe even (gasp!) have a little fun.

I've owned a lot of expensive instruments in my day, but I don't get mad at the cheap $100 guitar they sell at walmart. It's a basic guitar that's probably fairly crappy. But it works, and it allows people to get started in playing guitar. It's not meant to replace my fancy-pants custom ESP. Different purposes.