Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Getting one today...
My big ? is...the ethernet comes into where we have an older PC. So I plug it into the PC...do I still need to get the airport utility for the PC? If so, where, I can't seem to track it down.
Or with the ethernet simply hooked up to the pc, can I set everything up by connecting wirelessly to my iMac? I bet I need to do in on the PC though since that's where the ethernet come sin :<(
Thanks for any help

Nov 28, 2010
located
To setup the AEBS first, you need to connect to it via Ethernet, but you don't need AirPort Utility (AU) for Windows (if that is what your PC is running) to actually use the AEBS via Ethernet. AU is for configuring the AEBS, which can be done from a Mac or Windows PC.

AU for Windows can be downloaded from Apple directly: http://support.apple.com/downloads#airport

And here are the User Guides: http://support.apple.com/manuals#airport

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Oh thank you!
So, if I understand it...no need to set it up on the PC in anyway since that's where an ethernet cable will be going in and not wireless, a, I understanding right? Then just find it wirelessly on my Imac and set things up from there...?:confused::)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Oh thank you!
So, if I understand it...no need to set it up on the PC in anyway since that's where an ethernet cable will be going in and not wireless, a, I understanding right? Then just find it wirelessly on my Imac and set things up from there...?:confused::)

You need to setup it first via Ethernet via your Windows PC or iMac, that is up to you. During that setup or configuration, you create a wireless network, to which you can later connect your iMac.
Your Windows PC does not need a setup, if it can find the AEBS via Ethernet (my room mate's Windows XP SP3 PC could detect it without any setup).

The User Guides I linked to should explain how to do the setup properly, as there is no wireless network preconfigured when buying a new AEBs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.