Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daaneel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
So I don't know jack about the stock market, all I know is that the Apple stocks are going up like crazy! Do you think it will go up more especially since the release of the iPhone 5 is around the corner? How much more would it go up?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
So I don't know jack about the stock market, all I know is that the Apple stocks are going up like crazy! Do you think it will go up more especially since the release of the iPhone 5 is around the corner? How much more would it go up?

Honestly, if you ask questions in that way about a stock, you probably have no business buying any substantial amount of them. And if this is for real, long term investment, you need to manage risk and diversify or you could easily end up like the poor souls who had their entire retirement locked up in Enron.

I would suggest doing some major research on apple, or any stock you are considering buying. Learn about different indicators and see if it fits what risk profile you are comfortable. Stocks have expectations built into their prices, so any stock that doesn't meet expectations can take a big dip in price, even if the company remains healthy. Stocks shouldn't be gambling. If you don't feel like you can do all of that research and understand it well enough, you might consider a mutual fund that does all of that for you and aims for the level of risk and growth you are comfortable with.

And I'm not sure I would characterize it as going up like crazy. its had its ups and downs this year for sure. its beend going well recently and has had a good year, but it took a decent tumble not long ago to. most of the recent gains have been recovering that loss (350 bucks at the end of April, went down to 326, back up over 350). Had you invested just a couple of months ago, you might not think it was doing that hot right now. I think it looks like a pretty healthy stock at the moment, so I do think it will go up, but I definitely see some challenges ahead for apple personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.