Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A pair of reports today are suggesting that Apple may be preparing its retail stores for a launch of OS X Lion next week, with MacBook Air and other hardware updates likely to follow alongside or soon after the new operating system debuts.

9 to 5 Mac reports that Apple has scheduled "overnights" for next Wednesday, July 13th, events where store layouts and promotional materials are tweaked and store management is briefed on new products. While the source offers no information on exactly what will take place during next week's overnights, it seems reasonable to guess that OS X Lion will be a focus of the changes.

os_x_lion_advances_even_further.jpg

AppleInsider follows up with its own report also mentioning overnights scheduled for next week, although the source for that claim did not offer a specific day for the changes. In addition, sources for the report indicate that Apple is requiring that a number of display machines in its retail stores have their RAM upgraded by this Sunday, leading to speculation that Apple is topping them off in advance of the OS X Lion launch.

Separate sources for the report specifically indicate that Apple is preparing OS X Lion for a public launch next week, with revamped MacBook Airs potentially set for an introduction the following week. Retail sources have also indicated that Apple may be formally inviting some customers to download Lion at their local retail stores next week in order to receive assistance learning their way around the new operating system.

Beyond the MacBook Air, Apple appears to have a significant number of other Macs in line for refreshes, including the Mac mini, MacBook and Mac Pro. Other lines such as the MacBook Pro and iMac that have been updated more recently may also be seeing some stock shortages as Apple tries to make the conversion over to systems with Lion preinstalled.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Making Preparations for OS X Lion Launch Next Week?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It will be awesome to see the new hardware.
It will be awesome to see the new OSX crashing and burning like all recent Apple OSXs have done in their first months of release. I can almost guarantee that OSX 10.7 is about as ready to release as a fornicator thinking about Dr. Ruth.

dkouts

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Why "sell" it in a retail store if its only available as a digital download?

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
AppleInsider is pretty incredible. They took 9to5mac's report, made it more vague and about 10 pages longer without adding anything extra.

They should offer their services to people trying to write a long dissertation

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yes, please!

i'm definitely looking forward to it. i know it'll have it's rough edges still, but i'll be happy to have a new shiny thing.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
It will be awesome to see the new OSX crashing and burning like all recent Apple OSXs have done in their first months of release. I can almost guarantee that OSX 10.7 is about as ready to release as a fornicator thinking about Dr. Ruth.

You clearly haven't tried Lion golden master. I've been using it for about a week and haven't had ONE crash since. Nor did i find any significant bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Sorry to disappoint you but I have it on my Air and its running fine. :rolleyes:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
You clearly haven't tried Lion golden master. I've been using it for about a week and haven't had ONE crash since. Nor did i find any significant bugs.
One person does not make a safe bet for stability in the OS. Wait and see. I'd be amazed if Apple released an OSX that is perfect. It isn't even close to possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Don't put any money on your guarantee.

I've been using DP4 as my main OS since its release. That is, I wiped my MBPs drive and did a clean install of Lion DP4. Daily OS, with all my files, all the apps I use, everything. I'm treating it as a full release every day. This is how you really test stuff. It isn't futzing around with a vanilla copy on a separate drive. Instead, it's about forgetting that it's a preview and relying on it every day while taking your chances. Not everyone is able to do this, but for those that are, they'll learn damn quick whether this is something that's ready for release.

It's extremely stable and there are no showstopper bugs (and my hardware isn't exactly new, either.) This is the general consensus.

If the GM is anything like this (an improvement over DP4, apparently) Lion will be damn-near flawless upon release.

This will be an extremely hard act for the competition to follow.

Last edited:

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
One person does not make a safe bet for stability in the OS. Wait and see. I'd be amazed if Apple released an OSX that is perfect. It isn't even close to possible.

I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but it's working fine for almost everybody. Even better, i haven't seen anybody who have encountered serious problems with it. You are just trolling, sir.
P.S
Oh, and yes, i have a 2007 (the first aluminum iMac) and a 2009 mac mini.

boobz

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
two questions for y'all

This will be my first macbook i'll be purchasing.

The lines for the ipad and iphone were really, really long. I'm not going to wait like that. I'd rather go home and buy it online or go to best buy or fry's or whatever.

What do you all think about how long the lines will be for the new MBA's/lion? Even though lion will only be downloadable, i'm guessing many people that won't buy anything will still want to try it out and, hence, make others with money to spend wait! Thoughts?

Second question is... i'm probably going to buy the 27" LED Cinema too. Anybody hear anything about the odds that will be refreshed as well? I don't want to buy the current one on the 14th (in addition to my MBA) and then have a new thunderbolt equipped one come out a week later.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
But really we shouldn't all be running and buying it on day one. If this really is a flawless release, I will be impressed. But I'm not going to buy my upgrade for at least a few weeks and then I will only buy if the consensus is that it is near perfect. I'm also expecting at least one patch to come out in the first three weeks. I will wait for that patch before I buy as well.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but it's working fine for almost everybody.

And there's the honest reinforcement of my original claim. I wonder what the non-almost everyones are experiencing. When the pro-hype people need hesitant words like "damn-near" and "almost" means the OS will be business as usual. If you are using the basic OS programs and few others, I have no doubt OSX 10.7 will be flawless. No doubt at all.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but it's working fine for almost everybody. Even better, i haven't seen anybody who have encountered serious problems with it. You are just trolling, sir.
P.S
Oh, and yes, i have a 2007 (the first aluminum iMac) and a 2009 mac mini.

Snow Leopard worked for dev's, still screwed people by wiping their drives though didn't it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.