PDA

View Full Version : new case for powermac g4?

MacintoshMaster
Jul 8, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hi there,
I have have a powermac g4 quicksilver and would like an aftermarket case. I would like this to fit more fans and maybe a mdd logic board and cpu. What cases would be good? would an arctic cooling case work? I would also like a different power supply.
Thanks.
John.

63dot
Jul 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hi there,
I have have a powermac g4 quicksilver and would like an aftermarket case. I would like this to fit more fans and maybe a mdd logic board and cpu. What cases would be good? I would also like a different power supply.
Thanks.
John.

You are over in the neck of the woods I used to be in but where I am today, one private PC/Mac dealership can get you anything (Northern California near San Jose).

www.mbcw.com

They are really good about special projects unlike the Apple stores who only train their people to do only certain tasks. I got my iBook there and later a first gen Intel iMac. They are worth sending an e-mail to or calling.

MacintoshMaster
Jul 8, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hi there,
thanks for your reply.
I have sent them an email!
How can you ever tell if a case will fit?

63dot
Jul 9, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hi there,
thanks for your reply.
I have sent them an email!

The technicians there are very good and should know exactly what dimensions are used. As a basic reference comparing different Macs, there's www.apple-history.com as a thing I turn to when I fix my clients' Macs.

That site gives a pretty good picture of what each release and upgrade of Apple gear were and when. I hope this information helps.

dontwalkhand
Jul 9, 2011, 12:51 PM

No PC case out there will fit Mac parts perfectly....Since you may have to be doing some case modding anyway, might as well shove it all in a G5 case :)

zen.state
Jul 9, 2011, 01:06 PM
No PC case out there will fit Mac parts perfectly....Since you may have to be doing some case modding anyway, might as well shove it all in a G5 case :)

The fact that he doesn't understand that tells me he couldn't do a case mod to save his life.

MacintoshMaster's (a very inappropriate name for him BTW) whole existence on this forum is asking questions about things that are beyond his grasp. Things he seems to sit around and wonder about rather that actually go figure it out. He just wants to ask dreamy type questions like this and have other people figure it out for him. He then sees it is outside his ability and moves on while also wasting all these peoples time. He even stated once that he saw forums as a place just to have your questions answered. As if our purpose in life is to figure out his daydreams.

Can I install Solaris on PowerPC? Can I teach my Mac to make french toast in the morning?

63dot
Jul 9, 2011, 01:14 PM
The fact that he doesn't understand that tells me he couldn't do a case mod to save his life.

MacintoshMaster's (a very inappropriate name for him BTW) whole existence on this forum is asking questions about things that are beyond his grasp. Things he seems to sit around and wonder about rather that actually go figure it out. He just wants to ask dreamy type questions like this and have other people figure it out for him. He then sees it is outside his ability and moves on while also wasting all these peoples time. He even stated once that he saw forums as a place just to have your questions answered. As if our purpose in life is to figure out his daydreams.

Can I install Solaris on PowerPC? Can I teach my Mac to make french toast in the morning?

There was once this guy people called Steve, who basically was not really that technically minded, so he would ask and have some other guy with a similar namesake do "things" for his daydream ideas. I think the two did OK and it's why we are here. ;)

Nameci
Jul 9, 2011, 01:38 PM

Lol! That would be awesome if my Mac can do a french toast in the morning..

dontwalkhand
Jul 9, 2011, 01:39 PM
Lol! That would be awesome if my Mac can do a french toast in the morning..
It technically can if someone can confobulate some kind of Wi-fi robot, that I can just control from my Mac. But the mac itself without external devices...no ;) :rolleyes:;)

Nameci
Jul 9, 2011, 01:45 PM
I have a feeling, I know where this thread is going to...

zen.state
Jul 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
Heres an idea.. incorporate a waffle maker or something like it into the top of a mini. Make the bottom iron basin the CPU heatsink also.

Then they could add a "Cooked by Intel" sticker. :)

Bloodstar
Jul 9, 2011, 02:03 PM
It technically can if someone can confobulate some kind of Wi-fi robot, that I can just control from my Mac. But the mac itself without external devices...no ;) :rolleyes:;)

I actually recall someone doing this with a coffee maker - you'd tweet or DM to it and it would start making a cup of coffee for you. I can't remember for the life of me what they used exactly... though it was probably an Arduino.

I'd see it being more useful from a phone, though! (Unless you were in the office, of course...) I don't see why someone couldn't rig up any other device to do the same thing... Might be something to try eventually.

I was actually about to mention a USB toaster or something, but chances are a USB port might not be able to power a toaster.

...How on earth did we get to this?

MacintoshMaster
Jul 9, 2011, 04:31 PM

What is your issue man? I bet you couldn't even put together a computer with all the parts given to you.
Sounds to me like you don't have a clue what you're doing yourself. If you don't want to help don't post. You are trying to wreck my thread.
Anyway, I have a better idea which i will post when it's done.
Stop complaining.

adcx64
Jul 9, 2011, 08:07 PM
I bet you couldn't even put together a computer with all the parts given to you.
Childish posts like this one are unwelcome.

zen.state
Jul 9, 2011, 09:23 PM
What is your issue man? I bet you couldn't even put together a computer with all the parts given to you.
Sounds to me like you don't have a clue what you're doing yourself. If you don't want to help don't post. You are trying to wreck my thread.
Anyway, I have a better idea which i will post when it's done.
Stop complaining.

I have been a computer tech for about 17 years. There is nothing in what I wrote that would even give a hint at my level of skill yet it "sounds" like I am as uneducated as you? Okay..

As long as you keep asking these silly questions you're going to hear about it from me. For the sake of your computer don't take it apart. You'll kill it.

If you want any level of respect from geeks you need to figure out some things on your own and ask for help with things you can and are actually going to do.

Even if we all did humour you and answer all your silly wonderments it wouldn't give you the skill to do it. That is something you have to learn on your own. You ask things that can't possibly even be taught to you in a forum. Don't you get that?

Nameci
Jul 9, 2011, 09:39 PM
There is a quote from my military training; "do it first before you complain". Just do what you have to do and ask questions later. Most of your questions can only be answered by you alone, no matter how good your computer skills are.

Tucom
Jul 9, 2011, 09:42 PM
Isn't that still what these forums are for, asking and gaining knowledge? Sure there may be a way to go for him or anyone to gain knowledge in certain areas, but I think the question is legit, unless he keeps repeating himself is it not hypocritical to claim knowledge of a subject yet not be able to explain it, but that's just me ;) :rolleyes: :)

Tucom
Jul 9, 2011, 09:43 PM
I will add though....the name "MacintoshMaster" doesn't seem applicable when thinking adding more fans will make your machine go faster, haha, here and be sure to add 60 fans to make your machine go that many times faster :rolleyes: Just messin, but, seriously, it won't lol.