PDA

View Full Version : Dubious Claim of 3G in Next-Generation iPod Touch

MacRumors
Jul 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/08/dubious-claim-of-3g-in-next-generation-ipod-touch/)

Dutch site AppleSpot.nl today reported (http://www.applespot.nl/9764/gaat-de-ipod-touch-3g-krijgen/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.applespot.nl/9764/gaat-de-ipod-touch-3g-krijgen/&hl=en&langpair=auto|en)] that the next-generation iPod touch is set to debut in September alongside a new iPhone and will offer 3G data connectivity.

According to the report, the new iPod touch will rely on a SIM card to access GSM networks and will be serviced by traditional carriers in much the same way as the iPhone, although presumably with some sort of data-only plan.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/4gen_ipod_touch_stacked.jpg

The claim is a dubious one, and AppleSpot.nl has no track record when it comes to rumors, so we are primarily sharing the report for an interest and discussion. The topic of 3G capabilities for the iPod touch has arisen several times over the years, in part driven by the hopes of those who would like an "always-on" data connection without the need for an expensive iPhone contract. While Apple has released 3G-capable iPad models that function in a very similar way and offer no-contract data plans, there has been essentially no reliable information that Apple is indeed working on such capabilities for the iPod touch.

Article Link: Dubious Claim of 3G in Next-Generation iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/08/dubious-claim-of-3g-in-next-generation-ipod-touch/)

Gav2k
Jul 8, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPod + 3G = iPhone!

They won't add it to the iPod!

iLoveMyApple
Jul 8, 2011, 12:48 PM
Why not just buy an iPhone then? :confused:

dethmaShine
Jul 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
Very positive of this.

More iCloud - More Credit Cards - More Features - More iPods

I think the next iPod will have 3G.

orfeas0
Jul 8, 2011, 12:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPod + 3G = iPhone!

They won't add it to the iPod!

The ipod has less ram, can't make phone calls, crappy camera, and doesn't look as cool :P.
Maybe with the 3g ipod they're trying to create 2 different versions of the iphone, a cheap one that lacks some features and the expensive one with the full potential.

hankolerd
Jul 8, 2011, 12:52 PM

Because iPhone requires voice contract. If you can get 2GB of data at $30/mo or less you can use Google Voice for unlimited texting and get a Skype plan (and link with your GV#) for $2-6/mo. Much cheaper than an iPhone Data+Voice+Text plan.:apple:

itsalexaye
Jul 8, 2011, 12:53 PM
i might drop my iphone in favor of this.

swarmster
Jul 8, 2011, 12:54 PM
Why not just negotiate data-only iPhone plans with the carriers? This would require a new case to fit the SIM, radio and antenna, and probably a bigger battery, basically making it a completely different device.

...a different device that they already make.

iScott428
Jul 8, 2011, 12:55 PM
Ummm iPad mini? Basically what it sounds like...

res1233
Jul 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
This actually could make sense. iPod Touch WiFi and then iPod Touch WiFi + 3G. Pretty much the same as the iPad. I could see people buying it.

malnar
Jul 8, 2011, 01:16 PM
Easy: some of us barely make any phone calls, so a dirt-cheap pay-as-you-go phone makes a LOT more sense, but we're stuck with the pretty expensive iPhone plan because we actually use a lot of data. My wife and I make one, maybe two calls a day each, and they're short ones. AT&T LOVES me and my wife. If there's a 3G Touch, I'm buying one for each of us as soon as I can get out of my iPhone contract, without a doubt. No problem using an ugly dumbphone. I like the Touch more than the iPhone, design-wise, anyway. Bring it on!

Tyre
Jul 8, 2011, 01:16 PM
This doesn't make sense for the carriers. Then they will have people clamoring for iPhone data-only plans. I would much rather pay per minute since I rarely make phone calls. Also, with iOS 5 and iMessage, people wouldn't have to pay for text messages and could just use an iPod Touch or would do a data-only iPhone.

jayducharme
Jul 8, 2011, 01:23 PM

It would basically be an iPad mini. I think this would be more likely when Apple uses the new LTE chip and only has to produce just one model, presumably without a SIM card.

Ugg
Jul 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
Because iPhone requires voice contract. If you can get 2GB of data at $30/mo or less you can use Google Voice for unlimited texting and get a Skype plan (and link with your GV#) for $2-6/mo. Much cheaper than an iPhone Data+Voice+Text plan.:apple:

My thought exactly. Maybe this is the iPhone 'lite' that's been rumored for so long. I only make a couple of calls a day, a few texts and use the 3G on my Virgin Mobile android phone for maybe a half hour a day. It doesn't make sense to pay $100 a month for the privilege of an iPhone.

I'm not overly fond of Google, but if Virgin Mobile doesn't get the iPhone when Sprint does and the 3G iPod is real, I'll gladly dump VM and buy an iPod.

malnar
Jul 8, 2011, 01:28 PM
This doesn't make sense for the carriers. Then they will have people clamoring for iPhone data-only plans. I would much rather pay per minute since I rarely make phone calls. Also, with iOS 5 and iMessage, people wouldn't have to pay for text messages and could just use an iPod Touch or would do a data-only iPhone.
You can't get a data-only iPhone, and iMessage isn't going to cost anything extra - it's Apple's way of getting around the ridiculous carrier text messaging plans. It makes perfect sense for the carriers - it's another device they can sell plans for. There are plenty of people who would probably respond to this, like my parents who are reluctant to buy an iPhone but would like to have data availability like I have. (They, like I above, don't make many phone calls and just need something cheap for calls.)

Remember, many questioned the need for an iPad 3G plan, but that's a pretty sensible thing to have available now too, isn't it? I know I questioned it but I sure wish I'd just forked over the extra cash for one so I had it available when I wanted it.

troyblinka
Jul 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would drop my iPhone for a 3G touch in an instant and just use that with my skype account to makes calls. I would hook up the most basic phone to my cell plan as to not receive a termination fee and then just use that for emergency calling or what not.

Dragonfly26
Jul 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.macpost.net/336/ipod-touch-5g-to-get-3g-cellular-data-voip-connectivity/

Apple would not like to make the device bulkier and cannibalize its iPhone sales.:confused:

Alchematron
Jul 8, 2011, 02:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm all for it!

peacenfunk
Jul 8, 2011, 02:22 PM
The idea of a 3g ipod touch could work really well not everyone has denspensible amounts of money to keep an iPhone going. Students would buy them. Especially with iMessaging it could give Blackberry Messenger a knock.
I would probably get one. Would want a better camera as well on top

Truffy
Jul 8, 2011, 02:36 PM
I like this idea!

"Why not get an iPhone?" As stated above, no call package. Nice for those of us who make few calls.

"It's just a mini iPad!" Yes, and "mini" is the operative word, an iPad that fits in your pocket.

itsalexaye
Jul 8, 2011, 02:37 PM
if your stuck in a contract then the iPod would be cheaper to get and use as a phone and just change your plan over to just data

sounds good to me.

peacenfunk
Jul 8, 2011, 02:43 PM
I like this idea!

"Why not get an iPhone?" As stated above, no call package. Nice for those of us who make few calls.

"It's just a mini iPad!" Yes, and "mini" is the operative word, an iPad that fits in your pocket.

An iPad mini would be good to replace the iPod touch if it had the same back casing as the iPad 2. My iPod touch is quite scratched and don't really like it scratched.

amorya
Jul 8, 2011, 03:12 PM
You can get an iPhone and just not get a contract… I hear they've even started selling them SIM-free in America now!

What? Don't want to because they're really expensive? Now, why would a 3G iPod touch be any cheaper?

MacNewsFix
Jul 8, 2011, 03:13 PM
All I seem to see in classes now days are students texting. In Europe, due to cost, texting is far more common for communicating than voice calls. Once you got back to your dorm room or cyber-cafe, you could use the Wi-Fi network for VOIP. Combine it with a voicemail service, like Google Voice or Skype, and it would be better than what was offered pre-advent of the cell phone.

The budget-conscious student would likely find such an option appealing, especially if Apple is able to swing the month-to-month options available for the iPad. If Apple were to make it closer to a $50 option over the non-3G iPod Touch than the iPad's $100, I think it would be a big hit.

rien333
Jul 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
If you think about it, it seems pretty logical. It is kind of like a cheaper iPhone, which has been rumored for a long time. What is surprising me is the fact that the site kind of says "Our source is 100% correct and there is noway that there is not going to be a 3G iPod", which is pretty interesting.

baryon
Jul 8, 2011, 03:27 PM
It would be great, but this would make the iPod Touch as thick as the iPhone (as far as I know, the only main difference between the two is that the iPhone has a bigger antenna and additional circuitry for data and cell phone stuff, which makes the iPhone thicker).

I would definitely get one, as I don't use my phone to call people much. I text from time to time but that's it. A monthly plan would be a gigantic waste of money for me for calls, especially those expensive ones that come with the iPhone.

lazyrighteye
Jul 8, 2011, 03:38 PM
3G iPod touch? Now we're talking.
Around September 27, I can see Apple simplifying the iDevice line to the following: iPhone, iPod & iPad.

iPhone
Wi-Fi + G model, 3 storage size options
One device that plays nice with any/all carriers. Moving to more of an iPad build: glass face, aluminum (or liquid metal?) back. And for better or worse, I could see colored face options.

iPod
Wi-Fi & Wi-Fi + G models, 3 storage size options
Basically, an iPhone minus the phone part. Or, a smaller iPad. Data-only 3G plan option. Also moving to more of an iPad build: glass face, aluminum (or liquid metal?) back. And for better or worse, I could see colored face options. Drop the "classic" (sorry folks) and possibly (though doubtful) even the nano and shuffle. This makes an iPod, an iPod.

iPad
Basically a larger iPod. Keep the same build: glass face, aluminum (or liquid metal?) back. And for better or worse, I could see colored face options. Despite the chatter, I'm still on the fence about adding another HD model to the iPad line. Just make an iPad, an iPad. It's one thing to have Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models in two colors. Adding HD with Wi-FI, Wi-Fi + 3G, and multiple color options... and it starts getting pretty stupid, pretty quick.

Maybe so. Maybe not.

baryon
Jul 8, 2011, 03:49 PM
3G iPod touch? Now we're talking.
Around September 27, I can see Apple simplifying the iDevice line to the following: iPhone, iPod & iPad.

iPhone
Wi-Fi + G model, 3 storage size options
One device that plays nice with any/all carriers. Moving to more of an iPad build: glass face, aluminum (or liquid metal?) back. And for better or worse, I could see colored face options.

iPod
Basically, an iPhone minus the phone part. Or, a smaller iPad. Data-only 3G plan option. Also moving to more of an iPad build: glass face, aluminum (or liquid metal?) back. And for better or worse, I could see colored face options. Drop the "classic" (sorry folks) and possibly (though doubtful) even the nano and shuffle. This makes an iPod, an iPod.

iPad
Basically a larger iPod. Keep the same build: glass face, aluminum (or liquid metal?) back. And for better or worse, I could see colored face options. Despite the chatter, I'm still on the fence about adding another HD model to the iPad line. Just make an iPad, an iPad. It's one thing to have Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models in two colors. Adding HD with Wi-FI, Wi-Fi + 3G, and multiple color options... and it starts getting pretty stupid, pretty quick.

Maybe so. Maybe not.

I don't know how well people have received the new tiny (and weird) iPod Nano, but if it's a success, Apple won't drop it just yet. If it was a failure (maybe it was), then yes, maybe instead of going back to the old Nano, they'll just ditch it altogether. Steve said the Classic won't get discontinued, so I guess that will stay, but it just won't get marketed much, just like now (no mention of it at the iPod event, etc...).

talmy
Jul 8, 2011, 04:10 PM
This is a product I'd line up to buy (and I've never lined up for any Apple product). I rarely use a phone but use an iPod Touch and would love to get one with 3G and, please, a decent camera.

The iPad doesn't fit in my shirt pocket.

Skika
Jul 8, 2011, 04:23 PM
i think sooner or later, the iPhone and the iPod touch will merge into one product. I think sooner or later there will be no "phone minutes&sms plans" only data plans.

I think its really time for the industry to set up new standards regarding voice calls and sms&mms. Phones should take advantage that they can connect with wifi.

Imaginebeing able to receive calls through wifi when at home and going from home and the phone would just switch to 3G when outside wifi range, on the same number with no need to change settings.

Now we have separate messaging clients and standards(even devices) for each connection.

BC2009
Jul 8, 2011, 04:26 PM
Ummm iPad mini? Basically what it sounds like...

It would basically be an iPad mini. I think this would be more likely when Apple uses the new LTE chip and only has to produce just one model, presumably without a SIM card.

EXACTLY!

Ever since the last Apple event where they showed the "iPod" app becoming "Music" and "Videos" on the iPhone iOS 5, thereby decreasing the use of the "iPod" branding I have been saying that the next "iPod Touch" will be renamed the "iPad Nano". There are several advantages to this:

1) The current iPod Nano is already a touch-based device so "iPod Touch" is confusing.

2) Apple would LOVE to count iPod touch sales as iPad sales. This would be a dagger in the heart of the so-called "5-inch tablets" like the "Dell Streak". For too long the press and analysts have ignored the "iPod Touch" as handheld-tablet device (preferring to count it along with other MP3 players).

3) The iPod "brand" does not translate well into where the iOS devices are going. iPod is for music, but iPad and iPhone are all about "apps" and "cloud" in the "Post-PC era" that Apple likes talking about so much.

From a marketing perspective, this is the perfect time to rename the iPod Touch. And if you are going to do an iPad Nano or iPad Mini, it should have a 3G option, just like its big brother.

For a while there, folks said the iPad was just a big iPhone or iPod Touch, but actually, the iPod Touch is just a little iPad. :)

7thMac
Jul 8, 2011, 05:08 PM
It makes sense. Apple has been introducing other features that are disruptive to the carriers, for example, the new messaging service.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jul 8, 2011, 05:28 PM
couldn't a jailbreaker just turn it into a phone then:confused:

shartypants
Jul 8, 2011, 06:27 PM
Eventually everything mobile will have one, maybe too early for a iPod? I can't wait to have a 3G Nav in my car! Or have my dog with a 3G/GPS collar :)

peacenfunk
Jul 8, 2011, 06:33 PM
I prefer all this talk of 3G vs all the talk that was 3D on the iPod Touch

ESPN
Jul 8, 2011, 07:04 PM
The ipod has less ram, can't make phone calls, crappy camera, and doesn't look as cool :P.
Maybe with the 3g ipod they're trying to create 2 different versions of the iphone, a cheap one that lacks some features and the expensive one with the full potential.

iPod Touch although behind the iPhone is still very much a social status device.

iPhone is to Bentley
iPod Touch is to Mercedes Benz
iPod Nano is to Audi

L00king
Jul 8, 2011, 08:03 PM
Why not make MacBook air (and any other laptop for that matter) capable of being wifi and 3 g. They have the technology. Don't be surprised if new air has that when it is released this week.

toddybody
Jul 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
I'd love this if it meant a contract free, slimmer, iPhone (voice through Google or Skype). That would totally rock.

ChristianJapan
Jul 8, 2011, 08:53 PM
That's an iPad mini with the chance to get a retina display as IP4 has ... Time to consolidate iPod and iPad into IPoad

Elijahg
Jul 8, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'd say this is very unlikely. The main reason the iPhone is twice the thickness of the iPod Touch is because of the 3G radio, associated 3G antennas, and the huge battery to supply said 3G radio. An iPod touch with 3G would need to have the same 3G radios and increased battery size of the iPhone, effectively making it an iPhone that you can't call from. The cost of the hardware would be identical to that of the iPhone, so why would anyone buy it?

Near constant data transmission from the iPhone is the reason for the large battery, and the data transmission would be pretty similar on an iPod, meaning it'd need a huge battery too. That need would make it fatter, and thus, near enough the same size as the iPhone.

idunk
Jul 8, 2011, 09:23 PM
EXACTLY!

Ever since the last Apple event where they showed the "iPod" app becoming "Music" and "Videos" on the iPhone iOS 5, thereby decreasing the use of the "iPod" branding I have been saying that the next "iPod Touch" will be renamed the "iPad Nano".

Well apple is supposedly introducing a new ipad in september anyway, why couldn't this be it...?

cgiugliano27
Jul 8, 2011, 09:29 PM
...if the ipod touch gets 3g pr 4g capabilities with wifi and their are apps like imessage, text+, line2, skype, etc...i see the carriers becoming phased out/almost going obsolete...who would sign a two year contract with a device like this available that will cost u half as much+ each month with no contract?

...well I would get a 4g hotspot and pay for that on a contract i guess? if 4g was available in my area?

boss.king
Jul 8, 2011, 09:53 PM

Only if purchased at a subsidized price from a carrier in the US. There are other countries out there.

talmy
Jul 8, 2011, 10:24 PM
An iPad with 3G costs $130 more than an iPad without 3G. So presumably an iPod Touch with 3G would start at $229+$130 = $359. A 2GB/month service from AT&T, for example, is $25/month, for the months you want it. Cost for 2 years of ownership, with data service every month is $959. And it is less if you don't need data service every month (I've got Wifi most of the time and would only want the data plan when traveling, for instance).

This works out to about half the cost of an iPhone, but of course there is no phone. Doesn't bother me as I pay $40/year for a prepaid phone. It's $270 less than an iPad which doesn't fit in my pocket.

sally456
Jul 8, 2011, 10:27 PM
Well, have 3G, and with the iCloud and iMessage, then the iPod Touch also can send message and have call! Totally a like a cheaper version of the iPhone, or should named as iPad Mini?
Oh, amazing and crazy!

winston1236
Jul 8, 2011, 10:49 PM
but the ipod is within the iphone

iSayuSay
Jul 8, 2011, 11:10 PM
IF Apple keep the price same as today's iPod touch .. well count me in, that would definitely narrow the gap between iPhone and iPod touch even more. A dumb phone for making calls and those rude tasks, accompanied by almost perfect iPod touch with 3g connection should make life easier.

AND for people who asked about "Why not just buy iPhone4 with only data plan?"

Well ... if this iPod rumors become reality, it's $300 cheaper than iPhone 4 !!! with 99% Apple feature available on it. Phone calls and SMS/MMS ain't exactly Apple's feature.

With iPod touch WiFi + 3G you can enjoy whatever Apple throw at it, iCloud, FaceTime anywhere, iMessage .. so yeah .. this feature thousand times better

skellener
Jul 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
At this point 3G on anything is kinda lame. Let's see Apple push the LTE networks and move all devices to it, and drive all the carriers to offer the real high-speed wireless networks! :)

akbarali.ch
Jul 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
I guess cheaper iphone will better option than stepped-up ipod touch. but apple doesn't like cheaper things. they should i guess make the shuffled! ipod nano a bit bigger and discard ipod touch altogether.
in todays time wifi only device is useless considering even cheapest of cheap phones can connect to internet using cell and wifi model of ipad doesn't. they should discard wifi only ipod touch and wifi only ipad.
AND please 64GB iphone..please

someone28624
Jul 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
You can get an iPhone and just not get a contract… I hear they've even started selling them SIM-free in America now!

What? Don't want to because they're really expensive? Now, why would a 3G iPod touch be any cheaper?

Lower resolution screen, lower quality camera, and less RAM to name a few reasons.

Don Kosak
Jul 9, 2011, 05:05 AM
At first, I didn't buy into this "rumor", but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Especially when you consider the emphasis Apple is putting on Cloud services with iCloud.

I believe that iCloud is just the version 1.0 of Apple's cloud based ecosystem. If the cloud really is going to become our lifestyle (and business) "hub", you need to be able to reach it at all times.

Having a 3G iPod that works exactly like the 3G iPad, with the same Carrier Plans as they rolled out for iPad makes perfect sense. The iPod with 3G might be a tiny bit thicker, but who cares?

And the earlier poster that commented that Apple should add 3G to the MacBook Air -- that is exactly what Apple needs to do. That would be the tipping point for a lot of people from the PC centered world to a Cloud centered world.

Look, the iPhone is -always- going to be a better phone. It will be getting LTE and other 4G tech. It's the high end mobile device.

For any other iOS based entertainment or productivity, there's an iPod or iPad.

If this rumor is true, Apple just gave me another reason to line up in front of their store.

Bring it on.

Hawkeye411
Jul 9, 2011, 06:39 AM
It's just a matter of time. We will see a 3G iPod Touch in the near future.

WLS
Jul 9, 2011, 07:54 AM
No. This rumor is too far out there and makes no sense. Apple is more likely to just bring out a no contract cheaper iPhone than redesign the Touch. The lower cost iPhone tier is going to be more lucrative for Apple than the Touch market in the future.
I don't believe it at all.

Madmic23
Jul 9, 2011, 08:54 AM

True, it doesn't make sense for the carriers, but neither did the original iPhone. It was pretty much the first device to not have any carrier branding on it, and wasn't loaded up with carrier specific crapware.

When the app store came out, that shifted the landscape again, with the carriers not being in control of what was on the and what it could do. As you can see, it has led to them making a ton of money from people who want a device with this kind of freedom.

The carriers will hold out as long as possible, but in the end, they will all become glorified wireless Internet providers with all services provided over IP. Ey will make their money from tiered data plans which users can use for voice, video, and traditional data uses.

JasperJanssen
Jul 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
Lower resolution screen, lower quality camera, and less RAM to name a few reasons.

The first isn't true. It's a lower quality screen with the same resolution.

Plutonius
Jul 9, 2011, 10:43 AM
I would get one.

jmpnop
Jul 9, 2011, 11:54 AM

If that was the case then they'd make it a phone rather than just adding 3G.

Plutonius
Jul 9, 2011, 01:54 PM
If that was the case then they'd make it a phone rather than just adding 3G.

Not everyone wants to pay for voice.

CommodityFetish
Jul 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
If not Apple then I hope Google or someone does this. I guess we need an android equivalent to the ipod touch in any case... when is that happening already?

carebear
Jul 9, 2011, 02:30 PM

I already mentioned this in another thread. There won't be another 'iPod Touch.' The next 'iPod Touch' is an iPhone with no 3G radio, 'iPhone Wi-Fi' or whatever Apple ends up calling it. The next iPhone will be dual CDMA and GSM 3G. They are going to lower the overall cost of an iPhone (not too much) but enough to bring it closer to the more entry level pricing of the iPod Touch for the 'Wi-Fi' model. iPad will be 'refreshed' with new higher storage models and a dual CDMA/GSM 3G version.

Their upcoming model lineup will look something like this,

iPhone 16 64 Wi-Fi, 16 64 Wi-Fi + 3G
iPad 32 128 Wi-Fi, 32 128 Wi-Fi + 3G

iPod 256GB, iPod Shuffle 4GB

Of course there will still be previous gen iPhone 4 8GB for their lowest priced phone offering.

Nano and Classic will be merged into a new iPod '10th Anniversay' which will look like the previous generation Nano that had a camera but slightly larger with flash storage and a touch-enabled screen.

No idea if carriers will play along with data only, no contract plans for iPhone like they do with iPad, but since the next iPhone will be avalable on more networks, it's possible one or more carriers will offer it - they don't have a lot to lose since most users will still opt for a contract-subsidized phone with a voice plan. Keep in mind that along with Apple's idea of PC-free iOS devices, you will be able to sign up for service right from your iPhone (unlocked model).

One last thing, the next iPhone will have an optional LED status indicator for when you receive a message (similar to blackberry).

!ˇ V ˇ!
Jul 9, 2011, 03:20 PM
Consider that the iPod Touch has to grow in some respect, a 3G data option might be the next step other than an IPS screen and a better camera and possibly a larger screen. It will happen, however no one knows for sure when.

I always liked the iPhone, but I really want it without the voice and/or text plan. Only data and that option does not exist in Canada.

Epic Xbox Revie
Jul 9, 2011, 06:53 PM
They already did this back in 2007. It's called an iPhone.

Zutarano
Jul 9, 2011, 06:56 PM
If plans are too expensive, can't you just get an iPad Pre-Paid micro sim or iPad plan? I know it works in Australia. And all your paying for it data.

Elijahg
Jul 9, 2011, 06:58 PM

I already mentioned this in another thread. There won't be another 'iPod Touch.' The next 'iPod Touch' is an iPhone with no 3G radio, 'iPhone Wi-Fi' or whatever Apple ends up calling it. The next iPhone will be dual CDMA and GSM 3G. They are going to lower the overall cost of an iPhone (not too much) but enough to bring it closer to the more entry level pricing of the iPod Touch for the 'Wi-Fi' model. iPad will be 'refreshed' with new higher storage models and a dual CDMA/GSM 3G version.

[Blahblahblah]

Got a direct line to some kind of drunk Steve Jobs have we? Thought not.

SHirsch999
Jul 9, 2011, 07:54 PM
If this does happen, you can just use voip to make calls from the ipod touch. How reliable/what kind of quality can you get from calls using skype? Also, how much data would be used for a typical call? This would be a much more preferable option than a calling plan plus a data plan for an iphone.

kdarling
Jul 9, 2011, 07:58 PM
I could visualize some internal Apple or carrier group brainstorming about this... but not for sale right now.

Five to ten years in the future, most users could be on LTE. This leaves the 3G infrastructure sitting around serving remote ATMs and other such devices.

At that time, using 3G for smaller handhelds seems a match made in heaven.

Counterargument: ATT might never cover their entire footprint with LTE, preferring to use enhanced 3G away from population centers. Thus 3G would not be a left-behind protocol in their case.

easy4lif
Jul 9, 2011, 09:45 PM
a lot of people are comparing the iPhone and ipod touch but are missing one key comparison:

contract free ipod touch 8GB $179
contract free ipod touch 32GB $299
contract free ipod touch 64GB $399

contract free iPhone 4 16GB $499
contract free iPhone 4 32GB $629

ESPN
Jul 9, 2011, 10:00 PM
Its simple economics, the iPhone is Apple's trademark product, with 3G to the ipod touch, iphone sales will surely decrease.

It is highly, highly improbabl for 3G to appear on the ipod touch.

gadget123
Jul 10, 2011, 07:32 AM
Makes perfect sense.

It would not stop people buying the iPhone as it's likely to have an 8mp camera anyway.

This would be better than a cheap iPhone because people could have a Blackberry or Samsung and enjoy all the Apple features. The iPad can already FaceTime and it has 3G.

I think this is a very good rumour. Makes perfect sense at the moment you cant get on Facebook on the go without Wi-fi? Add 3G perfect media device. No doing it would cost alot more than a standard iPod touch but it would be very popular.

talmy
Jul 10, 2011, 09:47 AM
Its simple economics, the iPhone is Apple's trademark product, with 3G to the ipod touch, iphone sales will surely decrease.

Not quite that simple. Otherwise they wouldn't have come out with the iPad because it would take away more profitable MacBook sales. The real economics question is would the increase in iPod Touch profits by having a higher margin 3G version offset the decrease in profits of the iPhone.

For people like myself, who would never own an iPhone because we don't want a phone and/or don't want to pay $1000/year for the privilege, but want to have Internet access on an iPod Touch anywhere, it's a sale that otherwise wouldn't be made.

skier777
Jul 10, 2011, 12:21 PM
Why not make MacBook air (and any other laptop for that matter) capable of being wifi and 3 g. They have the technology. Don't be surprised if new air has that when it is released this week.

This would be great, but on the MBPs not the air. Apple wont put 3G in an air and probably never in any laptop and this is why:

1. Decreased demand for iPad which probably has a much larger margin than the margin for 3g cards, especially once people visit the app store.

2. Battery life. With 3G enabled, it would be pretty bad. Obviously that's a sacrifice many people would be wiling to make, but apple might not feel that that's the user experience that they would want from a laptop like the air.

skier777
Jul 10, 2011, 01:43 PM

Wouldn't it be far easier for AT&T and verizon to offer data only plans for the iPhone than for apple to make data only iphones? Oh wait, they don't want to do this, because people would just use skype.

Apple will not make a 3G ipod because pressure from AT&T and Verizon to not do so.

They will make more money from the few people who buy an iPhone plan just for the data than they would from all the people who would buy a data only plan and use it to make calls.

jonnysods
Jul 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
A slimmed down version of an iPad 3G? I can see it happening.

!ˇ V ˇ!
Jul 10, 2011, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't it be far easier for AT&T and verizon to offer data only plans for the iPhone than for apple to make data only iphones? Oh wait, they don't want to do this, because people would just use skype.

Apple will not make a 3G ipod because pressure from AT&T and Verizon to not do so.

They will make more money from the few people who buy an iPhone plan just for the data than they would from all the people who would buy a data only plan and use it to make calls.

You can use an iPad to also make calls via Skype or SIP. BlueTooth headset, though the size of the iPad is not ideal.

carebear
Jul 10, 2011, 09:12 PM

[Blahblahblah]

Got a direct line to some kind of drunk Steve Jobs have we? Thought not.

If you choose not to take me at my word, then there's nothing I could tell you now that would make any difference. Wait until September. Cheers!

ESPN
Jul 10, 2011, 09:29 PM

If you choose not to take me at my word, then there's nothing I could tell you now that would make any difference. Wait until September. Cheers!

FALSE

I will laugh my self to sleep in September when your whole hypothesis is disproven.

winston1236
Jul 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
it can be titles ipod pro, for all those pro music listeners hahaha

captainwhizz
Jul 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
Think about the time Apple wanted to introduce a Simless iPhone and the carriers rejected it because they want people coming into their shops.

Apple could have a Touch with wifi, (simless) wifi+3G and wifi+3G+phone with small memory options - perfect for occasional users and the young (where in Europe prepaid is by far the most popular). Satisfies a cheap phone and Steves determination not to be bossed by the carriers. CDMA doesn't need a sim, I travel a lot and getting sims for the iPad is a nightmare. It's time these carrier thieves were put in their place - Simless could be the start. Also note Apples various patents for becoming a worldwide MVNO (mobile virtual network operator).

WLS
Jul 11, 2011, 09:06 AM
I'm not optimistic about the Touch as I believe a cheaper iPhone 3Gs type device with no contract would have more market appeal than another Touch at the same price points but I admit that a WIFI only iPhone is at least an interesting arguable alternative format for the Touch. All they would have to do is move the mike and speaker around and you have a Skype phone. But is there really that much demand for a Skype phone? The thing that I have been waiting for since Gen 1 (which I have) is for there to be GPS available and others have said that also. Without GPS and location services for a mobile device I'm not going to buy it, Skype or not.

I don't see it as likely but until the new devices are announced you can hope.

manu chao
Jul 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
Easy: some of us barely make any phone calls, so a dirt-cheap pay-as-you-go phone makes a LOT more sense, but we're stuck with the pretty expensive iPhone plan because we actually use a lot of data.
There are dirt-cheap Android phones (<$200 unlocked) but only one carrier in the US (Virgin using Sprint as the network) is offering cheap data plans and selling data plans without expensive voice plans.
In addition, Apple (and all other smartphone makers) also have insane margins on their high-end products. '3G' costs $129 on an iPad, on an iPhone touch it costs more like $450 (that includes better cameras, metal frame, glass back, larger viewing angle display, microphones, extra loudspeaker, all costing Apple probably about $50 extra). These high margins exist because enough people buy subsidised phones, therefore never see the full price and thus do not make the comparison with the price of an iPod touch (ie, don't realise '3G' is $450 surcharge).

andreiru
Jul 11, 2011, 11:48 AM
I want the iPod Touch to be FASTER. I am finding it much more difficult to use compared to iPhone 4 because it's slower and has less RAM. Many crashes, and multitasking is completely pointless because I can only run 2 to 3 apps at a time. iTouch is either technically weak, or something is wrong with my device.

skier777
Jul 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/peel-3200.html?intcmp=c-hp-pt2-peel-062111

Looks like it can out today...

talmy
Jul 11, 2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/peel-3200.html?intcmp=c-hp-pt2-peel-062111

Wow! And it's inexpensive as well. Also supports tethering! Still I'd like the convenience of having it built into the iPod Touch.

Ugg
Jul 11, 2011, 07:45 PM

It's been out for quite awhile. I think it drains the battery pretty quick though and it doesn't work for the 4th gen iPod Touch.

torbjoern
Jul 11, 2011, 10:53 PM

Me too - which is why Apple probably won't do this. They're too afraid of cannibalization.

grteck
Jul 12, 2011, 12:06 AM
i think it would be good the ipodtouch features 3g would be for prepay customers

CHSeifert
Jul 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
All I seem to see in classes now days are students texting. In Europe, due to cost, texting is far more common for communicating than voice calls. Once you got back to your dorm room or cyber-cafe, you could use the Wi-Fi network for VOIP. Combine it with a voicemail service, like Google Voice or Skype, and it would be better than what was offered pre-advent of the cell phone.

The budget-conscious student would likely find such an option appealing, especially if Apple is able to swing the month-to-month options available for the iPad. If Apple were to make it closer to a $50 option over the non-3G iPod Touch than the iPad's $100, I think it would be a big hit.

I'm from Denmark and I pay 149,- a month ($28) for my 3 3G contract which includes : 5 hour free calls, free SMS, free MMS, 5 GB data included and no 'callers fee'
So I would say voice calls in Scandinsvia are pretty cheap - in fact free if you, like me, only make two or three fast calls a day :)

Dagless
Jul 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'd love a 3G chip in my iPod in the style of an iPad. There are a few times of the year where it would come in handy - but for the most part I don't need it. So monthly "pay as you go" style 3G would be perfect for me.

No I don't want an iPhone because I need more than 32gb, even the 64gb iPod is a bit of a squeeze. I'm forced to use the 128kbps conversion option just to get all my music, all my photos and some apps on it! No room for videos. I'm also a fan of how thin the iPod is. In comparison the iPhone is quite chunky. Also I've already got a phone that I'm in no rush to replace.

Elijahg
Jul 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'd love a 3G chip in my iPod in the style of an iPad. There are a few times of the year where it would come in handy - but for the most part I don't need it. So monthly "pay as you go" style 3G would be perfect for me.

As I said previously, the reason the iPhone is thicker is because of the huge battery to power the 3G radio for any length of time. An iPod touch with 3G would be just as thick as an iPhone, nearly as expensive, but unable to call anyone. What'd be the point?

ysuhaas
Jul 12, 2011, 01:41 PM
My thought exactly. Maybe this is the iPhone 'lite' that's been rumored for so long. I only make a couple of calls a day, a few texts and use the 3G on my Virgin Mobile android phone for maybe a half hour a day. It doesn't make sense to pay $100 a month for the privilege of an iPhone.

I'm not overly fond of Google, but if Virgin Mobile doesn't get the iPhone when Sprint does and the 3G iPod is real, I'll gladly dump VM and buy an iPod.

then why not buy an iPod touch now? You can use your android vm phone (im assuming you have one) to tether your iPod w/unlim data....

Ugg
Jul 12, 2011, 04:22 PM
then why not buy an iPod touch now? You can use your android vm phone (im assuming you have one) to tether your iPod w/unlim data....

I want the next gen iPod Touch! I had bought one last fall and loved it, but when I got the android phone, I sold the Touch to my neighbor because his daughters liked playing Angry Birds on it! I was surprised how much I missed it.

JasperJanssen
Jul 13, 2011, 06:59 AM

No such thing.

You *don't* have to pay for voice when you buy an iPhone. Not even in the US. It's already perfectly possible to buy an unlocked, contract-free model and put a tablet-data-only-sim-card in. This will allow you to pay much less per month, but rather unsurprisingly you don't get carrier subsisides so you get to pay much more upfront. That's a big part of iPhone plans -- paying off the massive debt you acquired by getting an iPhone at $100 up front.

CD4287
Jul 14, 2011, 09:07 AM
Easy: some of us barely make any phone calls, so a dirt-cheap pay-as-you-go phone makes a LOT more sense, but we're stuck with the pretty expensive iPhone plan because we actually use a lot of data. My wife and I make one, maybe two calls a day each, and they're short ones. AT&T LOVES me and my wife. If there's a 3G Touch, I'm buying one for each of us as soon as I can get out of my iPhone contract, without a doubt. No problem using an ugly dumbphone. I like the Touch more than the iPhone, design-wise, anyway. Bring it on!

You say AT&T LOVEs you! But they hate you if you use a lot of data. Phone calls are super cheap for them and data hogs clog up the network. The customer that AT&T loves is the one that checks e-mail once a day and talks all day.

CD4287
Jul 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
Think about the time Apple wanted to introduce a Simless iPhone and the carriers rejected it because they want people coming into their shops.

Apple could have a Touch with wifi, (simless) wifi+3G and wifi+3G+phone with small memory options - perfect for occasional users and the young (where in Europe prepaid is by far the most popular). Satisfies a cheap phone and Steves determination not to be bossed by the carriers. CDMA doesn't need a sim, I travel a lot and getting sims for the iPad is a nightmare. It's time these carrier thieves were put in their place - Simless could be the start. Also note Apples various patents for becoming a worldwide MVNO (mobile virtual network operator).

The problem with CDMA is that it is an outdated technology and only Verizon (and Sprint?) use it in the US and China is the only other country in the world that uses it.

Jul 18, 2011, 07:45 AM
The problem with CDMA is that it is an outdated technology and only Verizon (and Sprint?) use it in the US and China is the only other country in the world that uses it.Acutally, the List of cdma2000 networks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks) (cdma2000 is the 3G version of CDMA) is a bit longer.

However, there won't be a 4G version of CDMA. The 4G standard of the GSM family (GSM, EDGE, UMTS/W-CDMA, LTE) will also constitute the upgrade path for CDMA.

mlmwalt
Jul 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
Acutally, the List of cdma2000 networks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks) (cdma2000 is the 3G version of CDMA) is a bit longer.

However, there won't be a 4G version of CDMA. The 4G standard of the GSM family (GSM, EDGE, UMTS/W-CDMA, LTE) will also constitute the upgrade path for CDMA.

Thanks!!! I never knew I could use my phone in Azerbijan, or Belarus, or Haiti, or Kyrgyzstan. Actually, the only way my phone will be used in any of these places is if it gets stolen and dude goes there with it. :rolleyes:

bencnorden
Jul 27, 2011, 12:04 PM
Well a 3G iPod plus iMessage, less and less point to buy the much more expensive iPhone.

peteitude
Jul 27, 2011, 02:15 PM
The important thing for me would be that the iPod will then have a real GPS chip - the 3G and GPS components are on the same chip

ESPN
Aug 6, 2011, 01:03 PM
Why would people even purchase an iPhone is an iPod touch has 3G?

No viewpoint can justify why Apple would bring 3G to and ipod touch.

talmy
Aug 6, 2011, 03:02 PM
Why would people even purchase an iPhone is an iPod touch has 3G?

Because they want a phone? The only reason I want a 3G iPod Touch and won't buy an iPhone is that I don't want a phone. Why would anyone want to carry around an iPod Touch AND a cell phone?

leelika08
Aug 8, 2011, 01:36 PM

Why not just negotiate data-only iPhone plans with the carriers? This would require a new case to fit the SIM, radio and antenna, and probably a bigger battery, basically making it a completely different device.

...a different device that they already make.