Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
due to the calculations that programming can involve (i assume)...will the current macbook air be ok, or should i wait for the refresh coming?

i was looking at the 13" with 4GB ram & 128GB hard drive.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i mean...spec-wise. i always baby my electronics physically ;)
Yes, spec-wise, as well. Most Mac users... in fact, most computer users... rarely reach or exceed the capabilities of their computers, except for things like extreme gaming or heavy multimedia work.

Last edited:

pil0tflame

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
London, Ontario
will the current gen last me a good 4-5 years?

It'll work, but it really depends on what you're going to be developing. Typically, software development isn't incredibly demanding of hardware. Unless you're going to be writing massive programs, you can get away with fairly light hardware such as the 2010 MBA. If you're writing massive and complex programs in the future, you'll likely also be making good money that you can use to purchase a new system as needed.

Since you're just starting out (from the sound of it), I think a MBA as you describe is a good system for you.

One caveat: If you know you want to pursue 3D software development, look at the MacBook Pro 15" as you'll likely need a much more capable GPU than the MBA or MBP 13" provide.

Last edited:

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
It'll work, but it really depends on what you're going to be developing. Typically, software development isn't incredibly demanding of hardware. Unless you're going to be writing massive programs, you can get away with fairly light hardware such as the 2010 MBA. If you're writing massive and complex programs in the future, you'll likely also be making good money that you can use to purchase a new system as needed.

Since you're just starting out (from the sound of it), I think a MBA as you describe is a good system for you.

One caveat: If you know you want to peruse 3D software development, look at the MacBook Pro 15" as you'll likely need a much more capable GPU than the MBA or MBP 13" provide.

What's a good example of 3D software...like a game with moving 3D graphics? If so...then not planning that at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.