Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
What kind of cases do you use or prefer?
Sporting the bare look or dressing it up rugged? Or somewhere in-between?
Any hinderance specific to iphoneography? Any cases you recommend?

And with the upcoming iOS 5 features like volume snap, I want to get a case that offers good grip, protection and functionality for iphoneography!

It's kinda flimsy for me to hold the iPhone and use two fingers to control focus and exposure and to press the capture button while keeping ur eye on the subject! I am afraid half the time that I am gonna drop my phone!

Right now I am looking @

Otter box defender
Speck toughskin
Seidio convert rugged

Any other recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance guys!

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Out of those choices, the Convert. Its more flexible as you can make it work for your daily needs. Plus you can pocket it. The holster isn't a bad addition and it's cheaper than the Defender. All three provide good grip and good drop protection. The Defender is a lint magnet and the silicone exterior doesn't last long if you're the type to take your cases on and off. I don't have much experience with the toughskin, but I've always heard good things. Seems bulkier like the OB, though. If cost is an issue, the Speck wins hands down. If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose those three? Just curious because there are a lot of cases out there that provide grip. Looks like you want something rugged as well? And have you considered the other Otterbox cases? Speck has a large lineup, and the candyshell is probably their most popular case, but its got a smooth (ie not grippy) exterior.

Personally, I like "in between." Or I guess that's what you'd call it. I'm currently using the CapsuleRebel by Switcheasy (I generally really like their cases). I get the protection of a hybrid 2 piece case design minus the bulk or silicone. Really don't like silicone. I wouldn't recommend it to you based upon the cases you seem interested in, plus it isn't the grippiest case per se. Definitely offers great drop protection in a unique looking design. The one case from Switcheasy that you might want to consider is the Odyssey but its a bit of an odd looking case that throws a lot of people off (myself included). Offers grip and awesome protection in a relatively compact design. Recently I've been turned on to the Slider Pro from Incase and I may get that next. The rubberized edges and combination of materials may be something you'd be interested in.

Last edited:

shadowness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
gokart mozart,

Thanks for the detailed feedback and suggestions!

I wanted a good protection for my iphone, as I am a lousy caretaker! yes i will be careful when i want to be... but more often than not i am careless and klutzy!!!

The three cases were on top of my list, but i was not very keen on the defender! I liked the toughskin a lot among the choices! but was not sure about the bulk and grip, plus i didn't know whether it was a lint magnet or not!

I saw the capsule rebel but did not choose it, as I thought the grip would not be gr8 ( I got the reptile for my ipad and was not satisfied with the grip at all) but i love the nude case for my ipad!!!

I also saw a couple of camera oriented cases from canopy and others and most of them are not out yet!

Right now i am just sporting a simple aftermarket snap case which is like $8 here in Dubai! I am holding out for a better case and want to pick the right one as I usually dont switch cases a lot!

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
The Rebel isn't as slippery as people make it out to be, but it doesn't offer the grip of the selection you're looking at. I like the Convert because it turns into a more traditional felt-lined slider case with the removal of the rubbery exterior layer. The toughskin does a similar conversion, except its a simpler plastic snap on case (like the Nude, but with less coverage). The Defender kind of does but its more of a hard plastic brick compared to the other two.

Have you looked at reviews for these cases on youtube?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.