Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon
Hey guys

I am new to FCP and digital video,
-i have FCP7 which was pricy and i use a
-macbook pro 17 c2d/2.66/1TB HD late 2006 model,
-OSX 10.6.4

I have videos i shot with a green screen using the iPad 2 and iPhone,
I want to use them in the FCP timeline, im told that if the set up matches i dont need to re render, but i like to ask how this is done because i can not find matching presets in FCP?

Nov 28, 2010
located
As the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 use H.264 as codec, you need to transcode the footage via MPEG Streamclip to a QuickTime (CMD+E) using the ProRes codec for video and Uncompressed for audio, MPEG Streamclip even has a Batch List (CMD+B) to transcode more than one video to the same format.
Only that way you can properly use the footage inside FCP 7, as FCP 7 does not see H.264 as editing codec (which it isn't anyway).

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon
As the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 use H.264 as codec, you need to transcode the footage via MPEG Streamclip to a QuickTime (CMD+E) using the ProRes codec for video and Uncompressed for audio, MPEG Streamclip even has a Batch List (CMD+B) to transcode more than one video to the same format.
Only that way you can properly use the footage inside FCP 7, as FCP 7 does not see H.264 as editing codec (which it isn't anyway).

English please, just kidding, thanks for your post

what im confused about is the CMD+B thingy, assuming its one of the export formats of Streamclip app.. is this correct?

Nov 28, 2010
located
English please, just kidding, thanks for your post

what im confused about is the CMD+B thingy, assuming its one of the export formats of Streamclip app.. is this correct?

CMD+B is the Batch List, meaning you can add several clips (10s, 100s, 1000s) and apply a SINGLE setting to all of them and transcode those.
It is handy if you have several files that need to be the same format, thus eliminating the repeat of the same steps all over again, if you would just use CMD+E.

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon
CMD+B is the Batch List, meaning you can add several clips (10s, 100s, 1000s) and apply a SINGLE setting to all of them and transcode those.
It is handy if you have several files that need to be the same format, thus eliminating the repeat of the same steps all over again, if you would just use CMD+E.

lol i thought it was a format instead of a key command, and i waited to see what format you would tell me it was lol, funny one

So any format would do in the same size and frame rate right, i read somewhere one guy said use mpeg 4 when converting h.264 clips, you reckon its true?

Nov 28, 2010
located
lol i thought it was a format instead of a key command, and i waited to see what format you would tell me it was lol, funny one

So any format would do in the same size and frame rate right, i read somewhere one guy said use mpeg 4 when converting h.264 clips, you reckon its true?

H.264 is an MPEG-4 variant, and as H.264 is not an editing codec, MPEG-4 isn't too.

As I wrote before, use the QuickTime container (.mov) with the ProRes codec (use the ProRes 422 codec to be specific) for video and leave the frame size as "unscaled". For audio use "Uncompressed".
CMD is short for Command ().

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon
H.264 is an MPEG-4 variant, and as H.264 is not an editing codec, MPEG-4 isn't too.

As I wrote before, use the QuickTime container (.mov) with the ProRes codec (use the ProRes 422 codec to be specific) for video and leave the frame size as "unscaled". For audio use "Uncompressed".

thanks!

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ptit said:
Hey guys

I am new to FCP and digital video,
-i have FCP7 which was pricy and i use a
-macbook pro 17 c2d/2.66/1TB HD late 2006 model,
-OSX 10.6.4

I have videos i shot with a green screen using the iPad 2 and iPhone,
I want to use them in the FCP timeline, im told that if the set up matches i dont need to re render, but i like to ask how this is done because i can not find matching presets in FCP?

Green screen with an iPhone ???? I think I've heard it all now.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Green screen with an iPhone ???? I think I've heard it all now.

Green is a recognised colour by the iPhone, it is just the key, which is not sophisticated enough to work with crappy compression.

Ptit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
moon

works great for a fast quick music video :) we shot with canons, sonys and the ipad 2 and iphone looks great in its own way :) eat your hearts out

only for youtube promos ofcourse lol

Nov 28, 2010
located
works great for a fast quick music video :) we shot with canons, sonys and the ipad 2 and iphone looks great in its own way :) eat your hearts out

H.264 is good and advanced codec and used in many instances. It is just not meant for editing, though some applications can work with then natively, but it eats up precious CPU cycles and removes the not rendering part upon applying effects.
Then there is also the sensor size, and the iPhone and iPad have very small sensors compared to prosumer cameras, thus a prosumer camera makes a much better image, even when using some MPEG-4 codec to compress it afterwards (which takes away some information anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.