PDA

View Full Version : Decent Alternative to Itunes.

Jesuslizardjr.
Jul 9, 2011, 11:56 AM
I've been looking for an alternative to Itunes for some time now and have found nothing as to what i am looking for. I have always used Winamp and have recently purchased a Mac.

Despite the interface issues i have with Itunes my main gripe with it is that in order to have a decent sized library of music, it requires that it copies it all across from whatever external device that is storing said music, rather than reading and just playing it from the external device, like Winamp or Windows Media Player.

This is an issue when syncing music because all my music is stored on my external harddrive, on my windows PC, i simply drag files from the harddrive into the winamp library and it'll play them from the harddrive, when i add them to my itunes library, it copies them across, stores them in really awkward places with folders of folders and then changes loads of the file formats and wont read half of them.

So, basically, im looking for a simple media player that can read from an external device much like winamp, anything out there?

Thanks.

miles01110
Jul 9, 2011, 10:43 PM
Look up Cog.

Airforcekid
Jul 9, 2011, 10:47 PM
Spottily may meet your needs iTunes like feel but more features streaming etc.

aristobrat
Jul 9, 2011, 10:53 PM
Despite the interface issues i have with Itunes my main gripe with it is that in order to have a decent sized library of music, it requires that it copies it all across from whatever external device that is storing said music, rather than reading and just playing it from the external device, like Winamp or Windows Media Player.
FWIW, "Copy files to the iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is a preference you can turn off.

cheekypaul
Jul 11, 2011, 05:04 AM
I've been looking for an alternative to Itunes for some time now and have found nothing as to what i am looking for. I have always used Winamp and have recently purchased a Mac.

This is an issue when syncing music because all my music is stored on my external harddrive, on my windows PC, i simply drag files from the harddrive into the winamp library and it'll play them from the harddrive, when i add them to my itunes library, it copies them across, stores them in really awkward places with folders of folders and then changes loads of the file formats and wont read half of them.

So, basically, im looking for a simple media player that can read from an external device much like winamp, anything out there?

Thanks.

Itunes does not need to copy your files to play them. un tick that preference and it will not copy the file but play it from where ever it is.
obviously if you move it, itunes won't know where it is.