PDA

View Full Version : Reactivating a blacklisted iphone?

cooperidol
Jul 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hi, about a month ago i lost my iphone and claimed a new one through my insurance. yesterday whilst stripping down and cleaning our sofa, my wife found it wedged down the side.
Obviously i had it blacklisted when i reported it lost to O2 (UK), my question is can i ring them up to lift the blacklisting without running into issues? my insurance was with a seperate company, and i am hoping that O2 would lift the blacklist without reffering me to my insurer. if that was to be the case i would just use it as a glorified ipod touch. thanks for your time
Jamie

oneofthesedaves
Jul 9, 2011, 12:44 PM
Why not explain to the insurance company what happened?

bandofbrothers
Jul 9, 2011, 12:45 PM
Once you have paid your excess on the insurance the handset is yours.

Contact 02 to lift the barr.

As an example ;

My son was mugged of a psp gaming handheld.

I claimed , paid the excess and received a new psp.

A month after the police arrested some teenagers and found the psp which they returned to me after the court case.

I spoke to my insurance company and I was told both devices were mine.

WordMasterRice
Jul 9, 2011, 01:34 PM
It really depends on the item, the laws, and the company. I work for an insurance company and I know that if we pay out for a stolen item, if the item is ever recovered then we own it.

Daveoc64
Jul 9, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi, about a month ago i lost my iphone and claimed a new one through my insurance. yesterday whilst stripping down and cleaning our sofa, my wife found it wedged down the side.
Obviously i had it blacklisted when i reported it lost to O2 (UK), my question is can i ring them up to lift the blacklisting without running into issues? my insurance was with a seperate company, and i am hoping that O2 would lift the blacklist without reffering me to my insurer. if that was to be the case i would just use it as a glorified ipod touch. thanks for your time
Jamie

You need to check the terms of the insurance policy. If the terms say that you can keep the (now recovered) original phone then you should have absolutely no problem getting O2 to unblock it.

If it is not your device to keep then O2 could query it.

If you post the name of the company that the insurance was with then we could give you a more definitive answer.

Insurance Fraud is a very serious crime. You could get a prison term of up to 10 years or a fine if caught.

Daveoc64
Jul 9, 2011, 01:39 PM
Once you have paid your excess on the insurance the handset is yours.

There is no way that you can make that claim.

Most insurance policies state clearly that if you find the original device that it belongs to the insurance company and you must contact them immediately.

If they then say that you can keep the device that is up to them.

bandofbrothers
Jul 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
Im posting from my own experiance.

On balance its fair to say its upto the insurance company and policy T&C's.

cooperidol
Jul 10, 2011, 02:09 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the replies. Bearing in mind that O2 have no affiliation with the insurance company I'm using, what's to stop me asking them to unblacklist it (would they care) and if I get queried about it, saying I never made a claim for a new phone?
I know we are getting into merky waters here, but as I've been paying 12 a month with this company for the last 3 years I have no moral qualms about turning this honest episode into a bit of good fortune for me. Cheers

bandofbrothers
Jul 10, 2011, 02:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the replies. Bearing in mind that O2 have no affiliation with the insurance company I'm using, what's to stop me asking them to unblacklist it (would they care) and if I get queried about it, saying I never made a claim for a new phone?

It may be on 02's systems that the handset has been blacklisted because of a loss and insurance claim. They probably will have communicated.

I know we are getting into merky waters here, but as I've been paying 12 a month with this company for the last 3 years I have no moral qualms about turning this honest episode into a bit of good fortune for me. Cheers

Murky waters is a lazy way of saying you will impeach your intergrity and honesty for the sake of a gadget. You must have reported the incident to the police to get a crime number. Do you really want to take the risk of being charged with fraud and the worst case scenario a criminal record and fine. Play safe and speak to your insurance company explaining the situation as they may not want it back. Your paying the insurance premium for a reason and have benefitted from it by being covered.

Look at it this way.

Youve paid an excess to get a replacement which I would guess being at 50 to 100. If you had not been covered you would have had to pay over 500 for a payg iphone4 handset or settle for a cheaper less spec smartfone.

The ball is in your court so act as you see fit.

wordoflife
Jul 10, 2011, 02:42 AM
My understanding is that GSM phones aren't blacklisted, what happens when you try to put in your SIM?

robbieduncan
Jul 10, 2011, 02:43 AM
My understanding is that GSM phones aren't blacklisted, what happens when you try to put in your SIM?

They are in the UK.

bandofbrothers
Jul 10, 2011, 03:28 AM
They are in the UK.

The Uk networks use the imei to block the fone.

The finder of a blacklisted fone will see 'invalid sim' message or something similar !

netdog
Jul 10, 2011, 03:34 AM

I guess what people are suggesting is that it may have ceased to be an honest episode once you found the iPhone but failed to notify the insurance company.

cooperidol
Jul 10, 2011, 04:01 AM

Ok let me clarify.... I don't care If it is an honest act or not, or that my integrity is in danger of becoming impeached, Im not going to be conversing with the insurance company due to the likelihood that they will request the phone be sent to them. I was just trying to gather opinion as to if O2 might kick up a fuss, or contact the insurance company themselves or if they might just unblacklist what to them may seem to be a phone that is rightfully mine that I had lost, but now have found... Guess there is only one way to find out

bandofbrothers
Jul 10, 2011, 04:43 AM

Ok let me clarify.... I don't care If it is an honest act or not, or that my integrity is in danger of becoming impeached, Im not going to be conversing with the insurance company due to the likelihood that they will request the phone be sent to them. I was just trying to gather opinion as to if O2 might kick up a fuss, or contact the insurance company themselves or if they might just unblacklist what to them may seem to be a phone that is rightfully mine that I had lost, but now have found... Guess there is only one way to find out

By posting your question you obviously realise what you may do could have consequences.

Perhaps you could end this thread with an update after you have spoken to 02 !

localboy28
Jul 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
The phone isn't rightfully yours it's the property of the insurance company.
The replacement phone is rightfully yours.

TraceyS/FL
Jul 10, 2011, 08:41 AM

Can we assume you aren't above pirating apps and music then either?

I hope you dont have kids to teach this lesson too....

And we wonder what is wrong in the world???

mrkramer
Jul 10, 2011, 08:44 AM

If you don't care that you are essentially stealing the phone then why are you creating this thread?

VulchR
Jul 10, 2011, 09:30 AM
@OP: Why should we help you do something dishonest (insurance fraud)? If you want to find out then try it and be prepared to take the consequences. Let us know how it works out for you. I believe they allow you one phone call from jail.

If you want my advice, come clean to the insurance company and to O2. Even if the insurance company takes the old phone, they are surely to note that you are honest and that their cost of paying your claim was lower than originally. That could translate into reduced premiums. Also, you'll feel better about yourself.

jaseone
Jul 10, 2011, 09:44 AM
If you want to use it as just an iPod touch then you wouldn't even need to activate it, somehow I think you want to whitelist it so you can sell it to profit off the whole experience sending yourself even further down the path of fraud.

Applejuiced
Jul 10, 2011, 10:18 AM

Your understanding is off.
Lost and stolen GSM phones are blacklisted in many places but the US and Canada I believe.

davelanger
Jul 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
Jamie

You need to return the found phone to the insurance company, if they say you can keep it, then you can try to get it off the black list. What you are doing is illegal and insurance fraud. How do we know you just happened to find your phone now?

cooperidol
Jul 10, 2011, 11:13 AM

O2 didn't even ask me about an insurance claim, and they were happy to re activate the phone.
...... And yes I will probably be selling itbon now.
Thanks for your time

mrkramer
Jul 10, 2011, 11:35 AM

O2 didn't even ask me about an insurance claim, and they were happy to re activate the phone.
Thanks for your time

Congratulations, you just successfully committed insurance fraud. Hope your happy and if you get lucky you won't get caught.

awadeee
Jul 10, 2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for your time

Karma is a very real thing. :D

P.S. What's an itbon?

cooperidol
Jul 10, 2011, 03:06 PM

Itbon= it on, with a keyboard slip (pressing b instead of space)on my other iPhone.

This is one of the most amazing, unbelievable, and amusing responses to a question I've ever seen...... You all make it sound as though you feel sorry for the insurance company, or that my original question included an act of physical/verbal abuse towards an elderly/infant human......... It's laughable!
Yes I have found a phone I reported lost, and yes I have used that to my advantage, and yes I have technically committed insurance fraud.... But there is one thing you all need to remember..... No one got hurt physically or emotionally... And I believe the insurance company in question may live to fight another day.

As for karma, or my integrity...... I think i will still be able to sleep at night, look my family in the eye and generally enjoy life as I have done prior to this ghastly incident!

Have a beer on me x

robbieduncan
Jul 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sometimes I wish there was a "Report this to the Police" button. This is the reason insurance of all types is so expensive in this country: the blatant and illegal fraud that people think is OK for some unknown reason.

wordoflife
Jul 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
The Uk networks use the imei to block the fone.

The finder of a blacklisted fone will see 'invalid sim' message or something similar !

Thanks, I did not know that. In the US, we don't have that feature.
It would be nice so you could brick your old phone if it gets stolen

WordMasterRice
Jul 10, 2011, 03:37 PM
Have a beer on me x

This is true, and we should probably walk out without paying for it. I'm sure the bar will keep going so no harm done.

ap3604
Jul 10, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked / wastelanded by the moderators already. How is this thread any different than someone saying they "found" someone else's iPhone and now want us to tell them how to use it without being caught?

robbieduncan
Jul 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
This thread has run it's course. I can't see this ending up being any more than people disapproving of the OPs actions from here on in.