Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Just got my TimeCapsule 2 TB - will use it for backup and as NAS storage stream server to my Sonos system to play on my HiFi system.

Timemachine seems awfully slow and not sure I even trust it better than manually backing my music and other files up.

I just see now that I can get the Western Digital mybook World Edt. Ethernet 4 TB for same price as the TimeCapsule 2 TB - and the WD has built in raid 1.

I have a cable network wireless router for my Internet (50/5) - so can you give me one reason why I should get the TimeCapsule ?

Just asking :)

And NO! the TimeCapsule is not even better looking than the WD MyBook WE in my view and the WD has better heat transfer because if the grills in the silver grey chassis....

The WD also support timemachine.....

Last edited by a moderator:

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I use a firewire connected drive on my iMac for time machine and a Airport Express with an external USB drive for my MBP - network drive mounted on MBP (not exactly time machine - but same wireless idea).

Clearly the wired solution is much much faster. So if wires works for you, that is the better solution

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I have a cable network wireless router for my Internet (50/5) - so can you give me one reason why I should get the TimeCapsule ?

Aside from the reliable routing capabilities, the real big plus with the Time Capsule is the wireless backup of portable computers (via Time Machine).

Yes, you can back up your portable computer by manually plugging it in to an external drive every day. However, human nature being what it is, almost all people will either get lazy about plugging it in reliably, or just forget about it altogether. The wireless solution is ideal because it requres no special action on our part; whenever the laptop is used within range of the TC, it'll get backed up.

I don't know about the "Western Digital mybook World Edt. Ethernet 4 TB" -- is this a direct-attached device, or a NAS that supports wireless backups by the Time Machine software?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I don't know about the "Western Digital mybook World Edt. Ethernet 4 TB" -- is this a direct-attached device, or a NAS that supports wireless backups by the Time Machine software?

NAS, so wireless backups would be fine. The WD would just have to be parked near the router.

B

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
From what I've read, the WD NAS solutions have very low transfer speeds. Just something to look into before buying ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
From what I've read, the WD NAS solutions have very low transfer speeds. Just something to look into before buying ;)

Time Capsules are no speed demons either, but some of the current WD models claim to have really good transfer rates, e.g. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280 this was confirmed by a third party review I read in another thread.

EDIT: Definitely make sure you thoroughly investigate any particular device you are considering.

B

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I use a firewire connected drive on my iMac for time machine and a Airport Express with an external USB drive for my MBP - network drive mounted on MBP (not exactly time machine - but same wireless idea).

Clearly the wired solution is much much faster. So if wires works for you, that is the better solution

I do not particularely prefer wires, but I just trust them more ;)

I don't trust TimeMachine 100%, not even 95% - I trust manually backing up 100%.
I need total control of my music files and photo files, and can't live with only having them backed up wirelessly via TimeMachine.

TimeMachine is good thing for the average family users, but in my view is not enough for the advanced to pro user.

I like to know that TimeMachine takes some sort of backup in the background day and night, but as I don't trust it 100% - I will always take backup manually via wires........

I don't keep important files on my laptops, iPads or iPhones, that I don't already have backed up - so don't really need Time Machine for that.
Oki - of course I could need backup of my daily written documents, but I make sure to back them up via dropbox as part of my daily routine - and if I miss one day of notes, it's not the end of my life really ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.