Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
To many of us, the visual changes of a UI are often some of the most interesting and obvious changes in a next generation OS.

As Lion rolls out this week to the general consumer, I'm interested in people's observations on this front. It could be interesting to post screenshot comparisons of the things we notice for us visual design geeks and have civilized debate of whether certain changes are for better or worse.

Are certain textures (the brushed metal icons featured in recent events comes to mind) fore-bearers of coming hardware material and design? Is Lion more or less visually friendly- too cluttered, more sleek? Too dark, too light? Too much change or not enough change? What are you hoping for and what would you improve? I'll post my thoughts on what's actually there once it's released (hopefully) on Tuesday/Thursday. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
I'm pretty sure every last sign of 'Aqua' is gone save for the traffic-light gumdrop window controls.

Also I'm really digging the no scrollbars although I'm sure it'll drive others nuts.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Very gimmicky... the kids will choose it for it's grade school look.

What a simple-minded thing to write for someone who is supposedly the "CEO of a very successful, profitable, and socially responsible company".

Anyway, "I'll post my thoughts on what's actually there once it's released" :p

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
What a simple-minded thing to write for someone who is supposedly the "CEO of a very successful, profitable, and socially responsible company".

Anyway, "I'll post my thoughts on what's actually there once it's released" :p

Let's not feed the troll.

I really like the look, a lot of little touches here and there which I am looking forward to seeing in day to day use for me.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
To many of us, the visual changes of a UI are often some of the most interesting and obvious changes in a next generation OS.

As Lion rolls out this week to the general consumer, I'm interested in people's observations on this front. It could be interesting to post screenshot comparisons of the things we notice for us visual design geeks and have civilized debate of whether certain changes are for better or worse.

Are certain textures (the brushed metal icons featured in recent events comes to mind) fore-bearers of coming hardware material and design? Is Lion more or less visually friendly- too cluttered, more sleek? Too dark, too light? Too much change or not enough change? What are you hoping for and what would you improve? I'll post my thoughts on what's actually there once it's released (hopefully) on Tuesday/Thursday. What are your thoughts?

Well, if the Lion GM is anything like the actual release, it is a bit confusing, as Apple seems not to follow its own HIG. For example, the user can swipe between desktops using four fingers, but in Launch Pad, the user swipes using only two. Finder forces the user to use the back and forward arrows, as apparently no swipe gesture was implemented for Finder. There is a slight learning curve, but scrolling is just like scrolling on an iOS device, so users coming in from only using an iOS device should have no problems there. Another change is that the user can no longer assign specific apps to specific desktops. Additionally, the users is precluded from renaming any of the desktops. In fact, the only desktops whose name changes from the default Desktop 1, Desktop 2, Desktop 3, etc... are the desktops automatically created for the full-screen apps - those take the name of the app itself.

There are a log of things I like about Lion, but the ones mentioned above I will have to accept and with which I must learn to live. I absolutely love the trackpad on my MacBook Pro and the Magic Trackpad I use with my iMac, and the emphasis on trackpad gestures in Lion is a welcome addition. At work, I have often pointed out the superiority of the Macintosh trackpad to anything on the Windows side, and my coworkers begrudingly agree as they eschew the trackpad on our Windows laptops for a USB mouse.

As for the polished metal icons acting as a portent of hardware changes to come, that's anyone's guess, at least until said new hardware comes on the scene. I, myself, am torn on changes to the Mac Pro. Some people seem to want change for change's sake, but I think it is put together extremely well. All user-servicable parts are easily accessible, therefore easily upgradable - I only wish I could justify the purchase. I like the look of the MacBook Pros and don't think the outer casing will adopt that look, but I am neither Steve Jobs or Jonny Ive, so I can not make that call :D

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Well, if the Lion GM is anything like the actual release, it is a bit confusing, as Apple seems not to follow its own HIG. For example, the user can swipe between desktops using four fingers, but in Launch Pad, the user swipes using only two.

Uhhh... this is because, in Launchpad, you are SCROLLING horizontally. You aren't switching desktops. You are scrolling, which is a 2-finger gesture. It's consistent.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
I'm pretty sure every last sign of 'Aqua' is gone save for the traffic-light gumdrop window controls.

Also I'm really digging the no scrollbars although I'm sure it'll drive others nuts.

The option to change to Graphite is still there for the traffic-light gum balls. I am also really liking the sleek, clean look of Lion, with the exception of full-screen iTunes when syncing with an iOS device. One of my biggest complaints, on the Windows side, is the waste of space when an app is maximized. In iTunes, when looking through the various tabs for an iOS device, Apple could have better used the available space. Of course, when speaking of a 27" iMac, there is quite a bit more space than is available on a 13" MacBook, but I still think the available space could have been better used. All in all, I think Apple has done a great job in removing those little things that are distracting to the user, resulting in a better user experience.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Uhhh... this is because, in Launchpad, you are SCROLLING horizontally. You aren't switching desktops. You are scrolling, which is a 2-finger gesture. It's consistent.

Yeah, I understand that it is an app, but I still think it will confuse some users. My point is still valid with respect to the Finder, however. Why is it that the user can not scroll backward and forwards as is the case in other apps, such as Safari? I use the three-finger swipe gesture in Snow Leopard, but am forced to use the back and forward arrows in Lion.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
It would confuse me if I had to use the Spaces Swipe gesture to scroll horizontally through my apps. That would make no sense whatsoever. I think most users will understand that they're not switching spaces, they're scrolling through apps.

Still, regardless of what you think, Apple is most definitely being consistent with their own HIG in that example. That is my point.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Well, if the Lion GM is anything like the actual release, it is a bit confusing, as Apple seems not to follow its own HIG. For example, the user can swipe between desktops using four fingers, but in Launch Pad, the user swipes using only two. Finder forces the user to use the back and forward arrows, as apparently no swipe gesture was implemented for Finder. There is a slight learning curve, but scrolling is just like scrolling on an iOS device, so users coming in from only using an iOS device should have no problems there. Another change is that the user can no longer assign specific apps to specific desktops. Additionally, the users is precluded from renaming any of the desktops. In fact, the only desktops whose name changes from the default Desktop 1, Desktop 2, Desktop 3, etc... are the desktops automatically created for the full-screen apps - those take the name of the app itself.

There are a log of things I like about Lion, but the ones mentioned above I will have to accept and with which I must learn to live. I absolutely love the trackpad on my MacBook Pro and the Magic Trackpad I use with my iMac, and the emphasis on trackpad gestures in Lion is a welcome addition. At work, I have often pointed out the superiority of the Macintosh trackpad to anything on the Windows side, and my coworkers begrudingly agree as they eschew the trackpad on our Windows laptops for a USB mouse.

As for the polished metal icons acting as a portent of hardware changes to come, that's anyone's guess, at least until said new hardware comes on the scene. I, myself, am torn on changes to the Mac Pro. Some people seem to want change for change's sake, but I think it is put together extremely well. All user-servicable parts are easily accessible, therefore easily upgradable - I only wish I could justify the purchase. I like the look of the MacBook Pros and don't think the outer casing will adopt that look, but I am neither Steve Jobs or Jonny Ive, so I can not make that call :D

You still can assign app to a certain desktop in Lion. Just click on the new desktop, then right click on the app icon on the Dock and assign it to This Desktop.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
You still can assign app to a certain desktop in Lion. Just click on the new desktop, then right click on the app icon on the Dock and assign it to This Desktop.

Thanks. I was not aware of that. You will still have to create the desktop beforehand, correct? I have not tested whether the number of desktops created in one session carries over to the next, but if you leave the box checked that asks permission to restart all windows upon the next startup, I guess that would answer my question in the affirmative.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked and the option is only for "This Desktop" and "All Desktops", so the user is still precluded from assigning an app to a specific desktop as in Snow Leopard's Spaces.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

I'm really liking this, too. I love as little "bordering" as possible so it is great to see this along with streamlining Apps like Safari with fullscreen view. Best visual features so far from what I've seen in the preview. Worst visual feature from what I've seen- the brushed metal icons. They look horrid and I hope it will not become the new trend to default this design for all of the standard Apple Apps. I've noticed the trend towards less and less colorful icons. iTunes set the bar with its gray icons in the left panel- however I'm a fan of this because the album art "pops" more this way with less peripheral visual distraction. It doesn't work so well with apps in my opinion, though. The original FaceTime logo in iOS was green and they changed it to another stale silver with blue and black accents. : /

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.