Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Hi there.

I think my hard drive is failing. So I want to buy a new one. But which one to get? 2,5" obviously and PATA only.

That leaves me only 2 choices: Samsung and Western Digital. I think I'll go for 160GB. Which one would you get and why?

pro/contra Samsung:
- cheaper
- silent (2,2 sone v 2,4 sone)
- more vibration?
- seems to fail more often
- hot?
- consumes 2,1 W

pro/contra WD:
- more expensive
- not so silent (2,4 sone and 2,6 sone while seeking)
- more vibration?
- pretty cool (won't get any warmer than 30°C)
- seems to be more reliable
- consumes 2,5 W

Which one would you choose? I'm really puzzled.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The Samsung definitely, as I can't stand hard drive noise. "Seems to fail more often" is relative....I haven't notice one brand of drive failing more than others...You just have to be lucky with how long drives last.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
The Samsung definitely, as I can't stand hard drive noise.

Me either. However if the Samsung gets quite hot the fan will go on and as you probably know that can be much more annoying - especially during summer. I couldn't find anything about thermal management on the Samsung. Do you have experiences?

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I always brought Seagate or Hitachi/IBM drives before as external space. They never failed me. At the moment I'd go for the Samsung (it's ~10$ cheaper). However would you buy a used drive from ebay? Sadly both Seagate and Hitachi have ceased producing PATA drives.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Hate to mention this at such a late time but I just picked up a WD 320gb pata drive from Staples for just over $70 after sales tax and there was a $20 off coupon.

I'll see how well it does but first I need to get a firewire enclosure for the old drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.