Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This work on 10.3 Panther? Got an iBook G3 from a friend and trying to USB tether via MyWi to get Internet since it doesn't have an airport card.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Didn't care about speed. Anyways I already tried it and didn't get any network USB connection options in network preferences so I guess it doesn't work with Panther. I'm home and going to install Tiger to see if that will work. I hope to find a cheap airport card and some extra memory for this little guy.

Thanks for the response.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I don't think 3G is gonna get anywhere near the 11mbps that USB 1.0 provides, so that shouldn't make a difference at all.

If you can throw bluetooth on that laptop, you'll have a better chance of getting a tether setup. Might need 10.4 or later for that though, I'm not sure.

You'll just need to create a bluetooth DUN (dialup networking) connection, and run something like PdaNet on the iPhone... or maybe MyWi supports BT DUN, I don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.