Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wormald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
London
A doubling of the maximum SSD capacity is my main hope for the refresh.

Ideally a doubling to 256GB for the 11" and 512GB for the 13", but any increase would be very welcome, and would let me carry everything on a MBA without need for an external drive.

There's lots of passing mentions of this possibility on the forum, but has anyone seen any specific rumours / parts order speculations on this?

Note that I'm talking about increased capacity, not speed, as I have seen quite a few bits about increased SSD speed but none of them mention capacity too.

Cheers

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I haven't seen a single rumor about that. The only rumor that's been mentioned regarding the SSD of the new ones was that they might be integrated instead of in "blade" form where you can replace them with something like OWCs offerings.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
I could maybe see the 11" go to 128 and 256, but I doubt any of them will have a 512, they're still just too expensive. At $800-900, even though Apple will get a discount for bulk, that's still half the price of the total computer, and they would lose a lot of money if they kept the price the same.

Now, as a BTO for like $500, possibly. However, if that's what you want, you can do that now and just sell the stock ssd and put in your own 512gb. Although there are rumors of the ssd being soldered in after the refresh, so if that's the case, you won't be able to upgrade the new models aftermarket.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
I doubt it. If Apple is looking to promote cloud storage, they would have no reason to up the capacity of local storage.

It's not so much cloud "storage" as could syncing. Apple doesn't really store any of your media on the cloud, with the exception of your 1000 most recent photos, they just send everything to all your devices. Well, that's the plan at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.