Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Yeahyeah there has been a thread about this, but I cant find it.

Anyway, how do you keep the hard disk space on your mba free? I'm constantly downloading and transferring to external drives, however usually i'm down to 1gb free space. 20gb If all my downloads are off. on 64gb ssd. I believe theres an app that strips mac os of stuff it doesnt need?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Try xslimmer, it can remove old PowerPC code from applications which sometimes can save alot of space.

Theres also Monoligual which can remove the many different languages.

I'd recommend checking out a disc analyser (such as Grand Perspective) to show you whats eating all your space.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I'd recommend checking out a disc analyser (such as Grand Perspective) to show you whats eating all your space.

On each of these threads I keep recommending the same app: Daisy Disk.
It's an awesome app that makes a pie graph of your files so you can see what takes a lot of space and what doesn't.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Buy a used Mac mini (1.66 first gen will do).

Set it up as a server.

Isolate what you really use in the road and what you really only use at home. (music library? Most have advices for audio on the go)

Transfer the home only documents to the server and write an apple script to auto mount your shares.

Leave iTunes running in the server with sharing on so you have full access to your library. If home sharing is setup, you'll be able to populate your Idevices from you're computer through the share.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I have considered buying a server for this purpose, I already have my itunes library on an external drive. The problem with the server would be that my MBA is connected wirelessly. Transferring HD movies from the server to my MBA would too slow.

Too expensive to be buying a server and ethernet sockets. Plus the electricity costs over the year.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
I have considered buying a server for this purpose, I already have my itunes library on an external drive. The problem with the server would be that my MBA is connected wirelessly. Transferring HD movies from the server to my MBA would too slow.

Too expensive to be buying a server and ethernet sockets. Plus the electricity costs over the year.

Why not just stream it to the air instead of a direct transfer? How ofter would you be copying large files? I move 2 - 3 gig Logic files regularly and it's not that big of a deal. I find I only end up working on a few projects at a time so I just leave those ones on the portable and switch as the workload changes.

I don't know what electricity costs are where you live but for reference. Having a server running constantly raised my electricity bill from $28 every 2 months to $33. That's a total cost of $30/year... and that's P4 HT hackintosh... it's power hungry compared to a mini. Not to mention I set up Pentium M linux server at the same time. AND they're both running at 100% CPU usage at all times with BOINC running. I have a MacMini on the way to replace the P4 so in a few months I'll have a better picture of the cost of the mini itself.

ANYHOW! :p If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work :apple:

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Why not just stream it to the air instead of a direct transfer? How ofter would you be copying large files? I move 2 - 3 gig Logic files regularly and it's not that big of a deal. I find I only end up working on a few projects at a time so I just leave those ones on the portable and switch as the workload changes.

I don't know what electricity costs are where you live but for reference. Having a server running constantly raised my electricity bill from $28 every 2 months to $33. That's a total cost of $30/year... and that's P4 HT hackintosh... it's power hungry compared to a mini. Not to mention I set up Pentium M linux server at the same time. AND they're both running at 100% CPU usage at all times with BOINC running. I have a MacMini on the way to replace the P4 so in a few months I'll have a better picture of the cost of the mini itself.

ANYHOW! :p If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work :apple:

The power requirements for Mac Minis are tiny, so it'd even have less of an impact than your P4 Hackintoshs. Even if it was on 24/7 for a year i'd be surprised if could cost any more than UK pound a week to run (to put that in perspective for the non-british thats the cost of about one and a half chocolate bars!)

Also, in regards to the OPs worry regarding wifi speeds. You should be able to stream even 1080p content over an 802.11N wifi connection

SomeWhores

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
You could change your hibernate mode to 0, which CAN negatively affect you if you let your computer die while it's asleep.

But if you do that, you can remove your sleepimage which is equal to the amount of RAM you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.