PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 will not let me view mp4 videos anymore!!??

Longboard Sk8r
Jul 9, 2011, 11:17 PM
hey my mac now does not let me view the mp4 videos that my go pro produces. i tried switching the format and it just showed the correct time of the video just it was a black screen, anyone know how to make my mac view mp4 videos again?

LimeiBook86
Jul 9, 2011, 11:24 PM
What program are you trying to use? Also do you know what codec the video file is using? If you have VLC or QuickTime Player 7 you can easily find out the codec information. If you are missing the codec or if the video file was exported in an odd way you may be having issues.

Have you had any issues before with similar files on the same machine? The more details there are the easier it will be for someone to help you. :) What version of Mac OS X are you running, I'll assume Mac OS X 10.5 'Leopard'.

Edit: VLC download link: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Squicken
Jul 9, 2011, 11:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Try using a different video player

reddrag0n
Jul 10, 2011, 11:44 AM
VLC or get Perian (http://perian.org/) for Quicktime

cocacolakid
Jul 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
It sounds like you are just missing the proper codec. Download and install both Perian and VLC, as the previous poster suggested. Perian adds playback for many formats to Quicktime, VLC is a separate media player that can play just about any format.

hiciera
Dec 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
i have this same problem but whenever i attempt to open vlc player on my computer, it says 'You cannot use the application "VLC" with this version of Mac OS X.' I have Mac OS X 10.4.11. none of the codec packs i download will work. I can't update the software. i can't update quicktime anymore. Is there anything I can do to watch mp4 files?!

Nameci
Dec 11, 2011, 11:24 PM
Have you tried downloading perian?

hiciera
Dec 12, 2011, 09:14 PM
yes i downloaded it and it appeared to download correctly but there was no difference when i tried to view the video.

kevin242
Dec 13, 2011, 09:16 AM
i have this same problem but whenever i attempt to open vlc player on my computer, it says 'You cannot use the application "VLC" with this version of Mac OS X.' I have Mac OS X 10.4.11. none of the codec packs i download will work. I can't update the software. i can't update quicktime anymore. Is there anything I can do to watch mp4 files?!

You need to get an earlier version of VLC.. the latest versions are intel only.

zen.state
Dec 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
You need to get an earlier version of VLC.. the latest versions are intel only.

People really do live in delusion it seems. VLC is still developed for PowerPC and I have the newest version (1.1.12) on my G4. Are there any other ways you would like to mislead people?

hey my mac now does not let me view the mp4 videos that my go pro produces. i tried switching the format and it just showed the correct time of the video just it was a black screen, anyone know how to make my mac view mp4 videos again?

Grab the latest VLC here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/1.1.12/macosx/vlc-1.1.12-powerpc.dmg/download) and open the preference panel. Click on "input & Codecs" at the top. At the bottom it will show a pull down menu called "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding". Set this to "All" then click save and relaunch VLC. This will lower quality of h.264 by 5-10% but use 20-60% less CPU.

Keep in mind that if you're trying to play 1080p or even some 720p you will have issues with choppy play. This can be solved by buying CorePlayer for $20. It is a highly optimized video playback app which can play 1080p even on a dual G4.

maril1111
Dec 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
People really do live in delusion it seems. VLC is still developed for PowerPC and I have the newest version (1.1.12) on my G4. Are there any other ways you would like to mislead people?

Man aren't you being a bit harsh on him, fair enough he gave false info, but everybody does it accidentally once in a while...

zen.state
Dec 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
Man aren't you being a bit harsh on him, fair enough he gave false info, but everybody does it accidentally once in a while...

If someone is unsure they would add things like "maybe" or "I think". When you just flat out state something you're doing so with the implication of it being factual. Incorrect info passed on as fact = delusion and nothing else.

I don't remember the OP or anyone else here asking for false info.

Hrududu
Dec 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
If someone is unsure they would add things like "maybe" or "I think". When you just flat out state something you're doing so with the implication of it being factual. Incorrect info passed on as fact = delusion and nothing else.

I don't remember the OP or anyone else here asking for false info.
This.

I too find it remarkable how often on this forum especially there are a lot of people who just throw out false information and lead people the wrong way who are specifically looking for answers and help. We need people here who can call that stuff out and ensure the right information is what is being passed on. Maybe a little callout here and there will help ensure facts are being passed along and not just theory and opinions in threads like this.

zen.state
Dec 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
I too find it remarkable how often on this forum especially there are a lot of people who just throw out false information and lead people the wrong way who are specifically looking for answers and help. We need people here who can call that stuff out and ensure the right information is what is being passed on. Maybe a little callout here and there will help ensure facts are being passed along and not just theory and opinions in threads like this.

Thanks for your logical input.

There are a few here that just love to spread delusions as truth and then they or others get all offended just because it was called out. People asking for help are better off getting no help at all than misguided help filled with untruths.