Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For $450, which would you rather have?

• iPad 1 3G 64gb

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • iPad 2 WiFi 16gb

Votes: 60 72.3%

• Total voters

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm having a hard time giving advice to my brother for an iPad selection. He's not sure if he'll need the camera. He also usually will have WiFi somewhere to pickup on, but also at times would like to have the 3G option when traveling.

He has $50 in Best Buy RZ points, so my first thought is to just have him get an iPad 2 WiFi 16gb model. But also looking around on ebay and Craigslist, I can probably get him an iPad 1 3G 64gb unit with some warranty left for right about the same price.

So basically, with that equal budget, which do you think is better for the money? Thanks.

Arcadia310

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
If he's going to download a bunch of games (which he probably will), I'd say opt out for the iPad 2. Right now he may say that all he wants to do is web browse and read books, but once he gets in that App Store he'll probably want to download all the apps he can.

Cosmo Kramer

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
US
If 16gb is enough for him then iPad 2 hands down, but IMO I need more space so 64gb iPad is what I would get and if you don't need 3G that could save even more money ::D

Last edited:

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Almost no one truly needs 64gb of storage. Get the iPad 2.

3G is also an additional expense and most of the time you can find wifi.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Almost no one truly needs 64gb of storage. Get the iPad 2.

3G is also an additional expense and most of the time you can find wifi.

Generalise much?

Play a lot of the big name games (most 500mb-1gb) or have videos / movies and you will fill that 64gb in no time.

I have 36gb of Apps alone on my iPad. Add my music, tv shows, books, magazines and photos and I am down to 5gb remaining.

As for 3G, you also get the extra benefit of GPS. Match that with a navigon app (2gb itself) and you have a great iPad optimised sat nav.

One solution does not fit all.

OP decide do you need 3G or GPS, do you need storage? Do you need a front and rear facing camera ? Only you know what you need...

personally I think the extra storage and the mobile data & GPS availability for travelling outweigh the thinner iPad 2 with poor cameras (I never use the cameras on my iPad 2 simply because they produce such poor results).

If he's going to download a bunch of games (which he probably will), I'd say opt out for the iPad 2. Right now he may say that all he wants to do is web browse and read books, but once he gets in that App Store he'll probably want to download all the apps he can.

Whilst the iPad 2 optimised games look a 'tad' more refined than the iPad original, the fact that 16gb would not go too far once he starts downloading those EA & Gameloft titles (especially when they are one sale) as they eat a lot of space.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Generalise much?

Play a lot of the big name games (most 500mb-1gb) or have videos / movies and you will fill that 64gb in no time.

I have 36gb of Apps alone on my iPad. Add my music, tv shows, books, magazines and photos and I am down to 5gb remaining.

As for 3G, you also get the extra benefit of GPS. Match that with a navigon app (2gb itself) and you have a great iPad optimised sat nav.

One solution does not fit all.

I've got news for you. You're not the average iPad user. In fact, you're probably in the top 1% of data usage if you were to poll every single iPad user.

Before you go asking people about their generalizing you might want to think about that. I said "Almost no one truly needs 64gb of storage". That "almost" I mentioned was the people like you. Don't fool yourself into thinking you're the norm.

It's the same story regarding the GPS functions of the 3G iPad. A device as large as the iPad is far from the ideal size for a GPS device. Most people have phones or dedicated devices in their car that can handle such functions.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Me, I'd go for the iPad 1 given the two choices in the poll. It comes down to wanting the space (i love lots of movies on board and also lots of magazines, it adds up after while), not caring about the cameras on the iPad2, and wanting the option for 3G service if I needed it for awhile, I'd prefer that to a series of WiFi hotspots with possible security issues. Plus I don't use my iPad for action type games so no need for faster chip in later model.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've got news for you. You're not the average iPad user. In fact, you're probably in the top 1% of data usage if you were to poll every single iPad user.

Before you go asking people about their generalizing you might want to think about that. I said "Almost no one truly needs 64gb of storage". That "almost" I mentioned was the people like you. Don't fool yourself into thinking you're the norm.

I don't fool myself, but neither do I pull generalisations out my ass.

Since the most popular iPad 2 in Western Europe is the 64gb version, statistics would prove me to be far more than the 1% you claim unless you can prove actual statistical facts rather than just your opinion of what people 'need'.

Apple offers six separate models of its iPad 2 (nine if you count the CDMA and GSM 3G versions separately), but more than half of iPad buyers choose between only two options: The 64 GB 3G iPad 2 and the 16 GB Wi-Fi only model are the consumer favorites in some regions.

Research firm Context (via V3) compiled a report about the state of the tablet market in western Europe, and found that the 64 GB 3G iPad 2 has accounted for a third of all iPad 2 sales since launch. The next closest model is the 16 GB WiFi-only iPad 2, which was responsible for 22 percent of all sales.

http://iphoneappstoday.com/2011/05/most-popular-ipad-2-model-is-also-the-most-expensive/

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

It's the same story regarding the GPS functions of the 3G iPad. A device as large as the iPad is far from the ideal size for a GPS device. Most people have phones or dedicated devices in their car that can handle such functions.

I also got the 64gb iPad and have used up 50gb of it. The iPad even though I am the main user also used by my wife and son. So we have alot of pixar movies on there and some of those educational apps (such as the solar system app) are Over a gigabyte in size. I think there may be alot more people with "family iPads" that need more space.

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
When the iPad3 comes out this fall or early next year, Apple will start the slow phase-out of the iPad 1 as they did with the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. Some awesome features of the upcoming iOS 5 might be crippled on the iPad 1.

You are assuming also that iPad 1 from Ebay and Craiglist are in top shape. Good luck with that. They are like used cars without any warranty!

Get the iPad 2!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Lots of good points and counter-points here. For me, I have the "low-end" iPad 2 WiFi 16gb because I don't really need the 3G. The GPS would be nice, but I use my iPhone 4 with Navigon and like it.

I must admit though, on my iPad 2, I am filling up the 16gb (14gb actual) pretty quick with apps and some videos. Not necessarily movies, but some family albums to share at gatherings that are mixes of photos and videos. Maybe shoulda bought a 32gb model.

Speed differences aren't going to be a big deal for him, however as macrat mentioned, hopefully iOS5 won't leave out many key features for the iPad 1.

So, for approximately equal budget and taking the camera out, I just need to beat on him to decide between either having the latest and greatest vs having more storage space and 3G option if needed. iPad 2 being Thinner and lighter (while noticeable to me) isn't that big of a deal to me and I doubt will be to him.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
I also got the 64gb iPad and have used up 50gb of it. The iPad even though I am the main user also used by my wife and son. So we have alot of pixar movies on there and some of those educational apps (such as the solar system app) are Over a gigabyte in size. I think there may be alot more people with "family iPads" that need more space.

my iPad 1 was the 64gb model and was filled past the 50gb spot most of the time, i bought the iPad 2 32gb 3g for myself while on the road and regulated the older one for family usage, it still stays filled these days so i would agree that space is a definite consideration when buying one

(wish they had a 128gb model)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.