PDA

View Full Version : 2007 iMac White Line Issue

MBP13
Jul 10, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi. I need the help of my MacRumors friends. :)

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up again. Anyway, I'm having a problem with my 2007 20" iMac. As you can see in the picture below, vertical white lines are beginning to appear on the iMac.

Anyway, I was at an Apple store, so I decided to ask a Genius at the Genius Bar about the problem. He said that it may either be a bad LCD or a bad logic board that is causing the lines to show up on the screen. Replacing the logic board will be over $600, so I'm trying to avoid that..

Do you think Apple would fix this issue for me for free or at least a cheap price? I do not have Apple care for this iMac, and even if I did, it would be expired already.

Thank you and I appreciate your help! :)

Gooders9
Jul 11, 2011, 12:50 PM
I can't make out the lines too well on your photo, sorry if what I'm about to say isn't the issue you are talking about.

I have a problems with vertical lines on my 17" imac white (2006). I think this was a common problem with imacs around this time (2006-2007) - if you google imac display problems vertical lines there a many pictures and videos of this problem. As far as I can make out it is probably the LCD that is slowly going as lines will continue to appear in the weeks/months. I had the first ones appear at Christmas, and have had 3 or 4 new ones in the past 6 months - I don't have them on an external display.

The is little chance Apple will repair this for free. They will repair it, but it will cost you a fair bit. If I was you, I'd keep the cash, put up with the lines for the moment and wait until there are too many to handle and buy a new / refurb one [in fact that is what I have done]. Others may disagree, but a quick google search for a 20" LCD in the UK is about 280.00 GBP / 440.00 USD, plus fitting, would also be about 600.00 USD. Thats a big chunk of new imac...

Pete

MTI
Jul 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Contarary to Gooders9's advice, a few owners of the 2006 iMac with the defective LCDs have managed to get Apple to replace the screens well after the warranty period, gratis. There are a couple of threads detailing the process, which is discretionary by the Apple managers.

Gooders9
Jul 12, 2011, 03:02 AM
Yeah sure - have a go to see if they will replace the screen, they might change it for you for no charge, but it will depend more upon the store manager.

They might give you a discount, which would be worth investigating, but again you need to have an 'understanding' manager. After all they have no obligation as it is out of warranty.