Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcesOverKings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Hi folks,

I was hoping someone could explain how the new Lion fullscreen mode interacts when multiple displays are present (e.g. MacBook Pro next to an external monitor). I use a 22" monitor as my primary display, and have my MBP open next to it. I typically keep Windows XP (Parallels) going on the MBP screen and use the larger screen for OS X.

I've read that when entering fullscreen mode in Lion, the primary screen goes fullscreen and any other displays become inactive, darkened with a decorative pattern and generally useless.

Can this be true??

I'm aware that you can swipe between full-screened apps with a four-finger swipe gesture, but I assumed they would do something cool with mulitple monitors, like having an app slide off of one, and onto the other, and then if you kept going, you'd eventually get it back onto the main screen. Something like a circular or revolving cover-flow.

Can someone please explain how it works, and what their logic might have been?

Thanks!

kule

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Yep that's how it works.

I use a dual-monitor setup from the main desktop:

* If I ctrl+left arrow (or swipe) I get the dashboard/widgets screen on the left monitor & a grey repeat pattern on the right monitor.
* Ctrl+right arrow (or swipe) and I'm back to my 2 screen desktop.
* If I ctrl+right arrow (or swipe) again I get the first fullscreen app on the left monitor & the right monitor is again the grey repeat pattern. Each successive swipe right will bring in the next fullscreen app on the left monitor only (right remains blank).

EDIT: Just to add there is nothing circular about the spaces, you'll get stopped at the dashboard if you tried moving left twice & your last full-screen app if you go too far right.

Hope that makes sense.

AcesOverKings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Yep that's how it works.

I use a dual-monitor setup from the main desktop:

* If I ctrl+left arrow (or swipe) I get the dashboard/widgets screen on the left monitor & a grey repeat pattern on the right monitor.
* Ctrl+right arrow (or swipe) and I'm back to my 2 screen desktop.
* If I ctrl+right arrow (or swipe) again I get the first fullscreen app on the left monitor & the right monitor is again the grey repeat pattern. Each successive swipe right will bring in the next fullscreen app on the left monitor only (right remains blank).

EDIT: Just to add there is nothing circular about the spaces, you'll get stopped at the dashboard if you tried moving left twice & your last full-screen app if you go too far right.

Hope that makes sense.

Argh. It makes sense; it's disappointing, but it makes sense. Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.