Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
I am confused about several reports and and even videos by forum members that apparently claim someone has been able to run Front Row on Lion. Can anyone shed some light into this?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
What reports? What Videos?

It would be necessary to search in various threads in these forums. I asked a question myself to someone that had claimed they had successfully installed Front Row, but there was no answer. As for videos, one has been posted today with the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5zQ3-eH10

FrontRow has been removed from the GM release of Lion!

We all know that. So, thank you for telling us what we already knew. You may have not noticed it, but you did not address my question AT ALL.

ATV2 made it redundant.

Whether it is redundant or not is a matter of opinion, but, most certainly, your opinion doesn't address my question AT ALL.

Last edited by a moderator:

jschmitt

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
Peter -
let's not get to nasty here .....

As far the video goes on youtube, its one thing to move FrontRow from a SL installation over to a Lion installation and have it appear in the LaunchPad. That is a trivial matter.

But I just tested it to for double confirmation ( I had asked Apple support this myself weeks ago ) ....

While you can install FrontRow into a Lion installation, it currently DOES NOT run at all. You try to launch it - and nothing happens!

It looks like they are not supporting it in any form at the current time.

John

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Peter -
let's not get to nasty here .....

As far the video goes on youtube, its one thing to move FrontRow from a SL installation over to a Lion installation and have it appear in the LaunchPad. That is a trivial matter.

But I just tested it to for double confirmation ( I had asked Apple support this myself weeks ago ) ....

While you can install FrontRow into a Lion installation, it currently DOES NOT run at all. You try to launch it - and nothing happens!

It looks like they are not supporting it in any form at the current time.

John

Thank you for your response. I tried copying the SL Front Row to a DP installation of Lion myself and saw it didn't work. However, the video I mention (and other claims by other people) seems to show it works. That's the reason of this thread. Is there any true to these claims and videos? Are they fake and an idle lie? Why would someone create a video showing Front Row running in Lion?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Front Row is nice and easy to use, but Plex is nicer. It just takes a moment to tell Plex during setup where your media files are, then it's as easy to use as Front Row and gives more information. And it's free.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Front Row is nice and easy to use, but Plex is nicer. It just takes a moment to tell Plex during setup where your media files are, then it's as easy to use as Front Row and gives more information. And it's free.

Thank you all for your assessment of the relative merits of Front Row and other programmes capable of doing something similar, but that isn't the issue. I'm not asking for a replacement of Front Row. I have a Mac Pro with several internal disks and I can boot Snow Leopard (with Rosetta, Front Row, etc.) AND Lion (without Rosetta, Front Row, etc.). I'm only asking whether some users' claims (and even videos) that they can run Front Row in Lion are true or not. It's that simple.

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
Im on the same boat as you all, been looking for a solution from someone to run FrontRow on Lion.

I liked Plex, very nice interface. But i have a problem , maybe a guru reading this can solve it for me,

I currently use my 27 iMac to watch movies at night, and i use a Bluetooth Headset to hear the audio. Whenever i pair my BT headset, and open Plex, it un-pairs. I even used the Default Audio in Plex Preferences as BT Headset. Still no Audio.

Id Appreciate help here, so i can bid farewell to FrontRow and Hello to Plex!

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
The removal of Frontrow is disappointing. I used it all the time to listen to music and watch videos bought from the iTunes Store. There is no replacement for it.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
The removal of Frontrow is disappointing. I used it all the time to listen to music and watch videos bought from the iTunes Store. There is no replacement for it.

Thanks for your appraisal, but I'm not looking for a replacement for Front Row. I only want to know if claims by forum members (and even videos) that they've made Front Row run in Lion are true or a practical joke.

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
I am no Dev, so i dont have a GM build to work with. Once it releases, i will definitely tinker with it to make it run on Lion. And im sure a million others will do the same, i guess just wait a few days for your answer :)

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
ATV2 made it redundant.

How? I use a mac mini as a media server, streaming video player, internet browser, video game player, 1080p movie player, and well for anything else that a Mac Mini can do. Front Row provided an elegant solution to doing a good chunk of these things and was built into the operating system. ATV2 only makes this redundant if I go out and buy a piece of hardware to do what I can do right now (and more) without it. Unless I am missing something about the capabilities of ATV2. Not that I need to upgrade my OS to Lion on that machine, but since I will be on my other machines it would be nice to keep everything the same. Time to look at Plex.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I'm a bit annoyed with this too. What reason could they have for removing it without a replacement? iTunes can be used to play the content but that's no good for navigating through it with a remote from across the room.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Apparently, my query is hopeless. I didn't start this thread so that people would assess Front Row or its competitors' merits or lack thereof, nor to bash Apple for removing Front Row from Lion. I only want to know if the claims (some of them documented) made by some that they've succeeded in making Front Row work in Lion are true or false. Will forum members stick to this single issue?

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
The reason i think no one has answered your query is because no one has TRIED to do what the video did/does.

Most Devs who are working with the GM at the moment are more than happy to let Front Row go.

Some of us mortals who dont have GM at their disposal cannot test these claims. So i guess just wait 1 week after Lion is officially released , and im sure you will get the answer you are looking for.

Cheerz!

jschmitt

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
Apparently, my query is hopeless. I didn't start this thread so that people would assess Front Row or its competitors' merits or lack thereof, nor to bash Apple for removing Front Row from Lion. I only want to know if the claims (some of them documented) made by some that they've succeeded in making Front Row work in Lion are true or false. Will forum members stick to this single issue?

Peter -
if someone has "massaged" Lion to run FrontRow properly enough to make a video about it, why don't you just contact the poster of the youtube video; as I said in an earlier post, the basic GM build of Lion does not appear to properly run a SL version of Front Row; so if it can be done it's a non-Apple approved-mod; clearly none of us here have gotten it to work properly. Personally, I wouldn't trust a video or a screen shot of purported functionality unless I could reproduce it myself.

:-|

John

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
OP: you're not going to get very constructive answers if all you do when someone comments is to whine about them not answering your question. This is a discussion forum, so you're going to get discussion and opinions on things other than what you asked for. There really isn't an official Q&A system going on, and as such, it's a little bit unfair to expect that, and get upset when you don't get it.

It's also interesting to note that the video you linked has since been pulled, suggesting that it was fake.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
OP: you're not going to get very constructive answers if all you do when someone comments is to whine about them not answering your question. This is a discussion forum, so you're going to get discussion and opinions on things other than what you asked for. There really isn't an official Q&A system going on, and as such, it's a little bit unfair to expect that, and get upset when you don't get it.

It's also interesting to note that the video you linked has since been pulled, suggesting that it was fake.

On the contrary, if I ask somebody, or a group of people what they think about such and such, I find it hardly harsh to expect an answer about the specific question asked. Answering questions that were not asked is mindless and pointing it out can't be considered whining.

The video might well have been a hoax. That's certainly a possibility.

False.

Happy now?

Your answer addresses the question, but generates no joy and it looks like a hunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Im on the same boat as you all, been looking for a solution from someone to run FrontRow on Lion.

I liked Plex, very nice interface. But i have a problem , maybe a guru reading this can solve it for me,

I currently use my 27 iMac to watch movies at night, and i use a Bluetooth Headset to hear the audio. Whenever i pair my BT headset, and open Plex, it un-pairs. I even used the Default Audio in Plex Preferences as BT Headset. Still no Audio.

Id Appreciate help here, so i can bid farewell to FrontRow and Hello to Plex!

Plex likes to change system audio settings whenever it launches. You can try manually changing the settings within Plex: Preferences->System->Audio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.