Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

human life form

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Hey everybody,

I'm from the netherlands so my english will suck, sorry.

I am going to convert a whole bunch of old HI8 video cassettes to dvd.

my tools:

* canopus advc100 (borrowed)

* macbook pro 13" 2011. i5 processor intel +osx 10.6 + 4gb ram.

* 1tb hard drive to store the video on

* second hand hi8 camcorder, coming with the mail next week

and… final cut studio 2

Last year i converted 40 minutes vhs-c tapes with imovie 2006 (love it) and Idvd.
But since idvd can only behold the quality of the video as long as the tape is MAXIMUM of 60 minutes, it's no solution for my 90 minute hi8 tapes.

A friend of mine still has fcs6 (so he has compressor 3) and with compressor 3 you can make 90 minute 4,7 gb dvd+r without quality loss.

THAT is why i am using fcp6.

That friend is too busy at the moment to help me with explaining fcp6 and i'm an ABSOLUTE NOOOB.

So could you guys please help me with a simple and very basic setup for me with how to import a 90 minute hi8 tape with a canopus to fop and export it to a 4,7gb dvd+r with compressor 3?
(I may want to edit a couple of things but those tools, i will find out myself.)

Many, many many thanks in advance!

Greetings, Peter

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
>>with compressor 3 you can make 90 minute 4,7 gb DVD+r without quality loss<<

Not true. Any DVD will have quality loss since the video must be compressed so heavily. That said, if the source footage is good quality, the quality loss may be negligible.

To capture Hi8 analog footage with FCP, use the Canopus AVDC100. Connect the Hi8 player's analog outputs to the ADVC100's analog inputs. Next, connect the ADVC100 with a Firewire cable to your Mac.

In FCP's capture settings, set Device Control to "Non-Controllable Device" then hit play on the Hi8 player and the Capture Now button in FCP.

Once you've captured the footage, you can edit in FCP if needed. Once edited, export a reference or self-contained movie (File->Export->QuickTime Movie). Use the resulting file in Compressor.

In Compressor, choose one of the DVD presets that best matches your program's duration. Compressor will output an MPEG-2 video file (.m2v) and a Dolby Digital audio file (.ac3). Use those tow files in DVD Studio Pro for authoring and burning a DVD.

But if you don't need to do much editing, the quickest way to get the Hi8 footage onto DVD, use a stand alone DVD recorder.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.