Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Hey everyone, I know thats a very generic question but until the reviews started coming out I was really looking forward to Lion as I really like the look of some of the new features such as network file sharing while in sleep mode (excellent as my imac is my digital media hub) and an update for the mail program but there seems to be a negative air about Lion with some reviews focusing on problems with mission control. Now spaces isnt exactly my most used feature so Im unlikely to get a huge amount of usage out of that but what other problems am I (as a fairly standard user) going to face. Im not what youd call a power user and I love Snow Leopard for its clean and easy to use interface. My two computers are a hideously powerful iMac (Yes I know I dont need all that power but it's not harming anyone:D) and a MBP and I was planning on upgrading both.

The iMac will not have any problem with handling usage but my MBP has 2GB RAM as well as obviously being battery powered so does this create any problems with Lion that wern't really there with SL as well as any other problems in general usage that people have found with Lion?

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
The only way you can tell if you will enjoy it is if you try it in the Apple Store on a demo Mac, or buy it yourself directly.

Seriously, I hate people who make judgements based on what other people say - it benefits different people in different ways.

Come back when you've tried it, and by then you'll know anyway. ;)

Nov 28, 2010
located
well that answers my question in it's entirety. Thanks very much!

Then any of the other dozens of threads discussing Lion and its pros and cons didn't help either then?
Seriously, this is being discussed from end to end, thus another thread is not needed. Lion is good enough for the everyday consumer, but as with all new things, new ways have to be found.

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I can't exactly tell you if you will like Lion or not, however i can say that i've been rather disappointed with it so far. From my experiences so far if you don't need the upgrade i would recommend not to do it. I've also been advising all my friends not to upgrade. or if you should install it to a second partition, play with it and make you're own determinations.

Some of the things that are turning me away from lion are:

- Duel display support is utter crap. mostly when using full screen, the 2nd display basically becomes useless. Also you cannot drag an application from display #2 in mission control to a display #1 space.
- Lauchpad is pointless, it's much more fluent for a desktop computer to use a stack with you're applications folder.
- I'm not a big spaces user either, and Mission control just seems to be a cluster ****** overall. if you are a spaces user there seems to be several missions options. such as (open this app in this space). Mission control overall is not a bad feature, it just needs a lot of work.
- Lots of bugs
- Front row is completely gone. (which i used..) and Plex is great for a replacement however it does not support those encrypted video files downloaded from iTunes.
- I'm sure there's more but I've only been toying with it for a few days now..

Overall my impressions of Lion is that it's an update that I will skip. I'm not happy with it and consider the years of effort to develop this large pile of poo a waste of time and development in the wrong areas.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
I can't exactly tell you if you will like Lion or not, however i can say that i've been rather disappointed with it so far. From my experiences so far if you don't need the upgrade i would recommend not to do it. I've also been advising all my friends not to upgrade. or if you should install it to a second partition, play with it and make you're own determinations.

Some of the things that are turning me away from lion are:

- Duel display support is utter crap. mostly when using full screen, the 2nd display basically becomes useless. Also you cannot drag an application from display #2 in mission control to a display #1 space.
- Lauchpad is pointless, it's much more fluent for a desktop computer to use a stack with you're applications folder.
- I'm not a big spaces user either, and Mission control just seems to be a cluster ****** overall. if you are a spaces user there seems to be several missions options. such as (open this app in this space). Mission control overall is not a bad feature, it just needs a lot of work.
- Lots of bugs
- Front row is completely gone. (which i used..) and Plex is great for a replacement however it does not support those encrypted video files downloaded from iTunes.
- I'm sure there's more but I've only been toying with it for a few days now..

Overall my impressions of Lion is that it's an update that I will skip. I'm not happy with it and consider the years of effort to develop this large pile of poo a waste of time and development in the wrong areas.

Then again, the OPs' experience might be different, after all he likely has different hardware and different things installed on his Mac, so you cannot just say that because your experience of Lion has been crap, therefore everyones' will be too. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.