PDA

View Full Version : Can I FaceTime from Japan???

MrMacMini
Jul 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
I will be leaving on a business trip to Japan this saturday and had a dumb question.

I will be taking my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 with me on my trip, the question: will I be able to use FaceTime with my wife while Im in Japan and she's in the states?

Either using my iPad 2 or iPhone 4?

Sorry if its a dumb question, but since Skype has yet to release I want to make sure I can either use FaceTime or look for alternative apps to able to talk to my wife and kids.

Thanks in advance.;)

nkawal
Jul 11, 2011, 06:24 PM
you can use skype for iphone on ipad, i use it all the time thru wifi. Facetime also works fine thru wifi internationally. i recently used facetime thru wifi from usa to trinidad. Used it between my ipad2 and macbook air.

MrMacMini
Jul 11, 2011, 07:41 PM
you can use skype for iphone on ipad, i use it all the time thru wifi. Facetime also works fine thru wifi internationally. i recently used facetime thru wifi from usa to trinidad. Used it between my ipad2 and macbook air.

Awesome! Thanks for the answer!:D

ohsnap
Jul 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
Fring also has a native iPad app with video calling.

Ifti
Jul 12, 2011, 06:27 AM
You dont need any additional apps. Facetime will work as long as both parties are connected to a wi-fi network.

ChristianJapan
Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 AM
I'm using Facetime inside Japan with my wife from time to time; no problem as long on WiFi ...
Make sure that when in Japan you control the roaming for your data plan. Can get really expensive. I made that experience when I used my japanese iP4 in Swiss; there is quite some data communication in background like checking eMail etc.

What I do: I switch often in Airplane mode when outside Japan and just try to stay close to WiFi.
How long you stay ? You might can rent one of those 3G-Mobile Wifi router (then you have Facetime indirect via 3G :rolleyes: )

MrMacMini
Jul 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'm using Facetime inside Japan with my wife from time to time; no problem as long on WiFi ...
Make sure that when in Japan you control the roaming for your data plan. Can get really expensive. I made that experience when I used my japanese iP4 in Swiss; there is quite some data communication in background like checking eMail etc.

What I do: I switch often in Airplane mode when outside Japan and just try to stay close to WiFi.
How long you stay ? You might can rent one of those 3G-Mobile Wifi router (then you have Facetime indirect via 3G :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the info. I will only be there 1 week. So I wont be needing my phone much, so facetime will do.