Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tompop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hi

My name is Tom and I am using a year and a half old MacBook version 10.6.4.

Today I booted it and it came up with a message telling me that because my date was before 2008, some applications might malfunction. Sure enough, when I checked the date and time, it had somehow of it's own accord reset itself to 01/01/2001, 00.00. At the same time I was connected to the wireless network but not able to use the internet, which was unusual because every other computer connected to the netweork was browsing fine.

If anyone could help or has any idea's as to what the problem might be It would be greatly appreciated, I chose to post here as this forum has been useful to me in the past in finding other peoples solutions to problems I have been having.

Thanks

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
These are two independent issues with the exception that a lack of an internet connection means it can't auto-correct the date/time issue. If you completely lose power, the clock will reset.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
These are two independent issues with the exception that a lack of an internet connection means it can't auto-correct the date/time issue. If you completely lose power, the clock will reset.

Simply losing power doesn't reset the clock; all modern computers have a small battery like a watch battery that keeps track of time when power is off.

Once a computer gets older, the little battery stops working and you have to reset the clock every time you boot the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.