Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
OK we expect Lion to be released this week. So far Safari seems to be the best browser for Mac OS X Lion with regards to the gestures and functionality. It's also no secret that Google Chrome is the faster of the two however, which is important for me.

So what I am wondering is, how long will it be before Google Chrome makes use of Lion's gestures & features such as "tap to zoom", "swiping between page history", the scroll bar which is technically still there, needs to be more like Safari and full screen needs work also.

Do you think Chrome will push an update with all of these fixes when Lion is released or soon after? Until then it's Safari for me, even though it is a little slower than Chrome and has few niggly issues also.

Chrome with the above features will be brilliant. However, give Safari a speed bump & the omnibar (URL bar & search bar combined) & it would be perfect for me.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
well i think it might be a while. chrome stable is now v12, beta is v13 and dev is v14 and in none of them they implemented lion specific changes yet. Maybe they will make it a priority but it might be until v14 at least if they follow their regular release cycle.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Gestures are cool, but I dont find them to be that high in importance when picking the best browser. I prefer chrome over Safari for its speed, simplicity, web apps, smooth xmarks integration and wide range of addons regardless of whether or not I can make my browser do a cartwheel by using some funky 4 finger swirly tap motion.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Gestures are cool, but I dont find them to be that high in importance when picking the best browser. I prefer chrome over Safari for its speed, simplicity, web apps, smooth xmarks integration and wide range of addons regardless of whether or not I can make my browser do a cartwheel by using some funky 4 finger swirly tap motion.

When you use Safari and use the feature where you can do a two finger swipe to go back & forward between pages, using full screen flawlessly and having the Safari scroll bars - turning back to Chrome makes it feel old.

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Um... 3 finger swipe left/right works, what other "gestures" does it need?

imo Safari is laggiest piece of crap on the browser market, I would take IE over it at this point if I could

... I spoke highly of a MS product... Let the down voting begin!!

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
MacBookPro13";12923402 said:
When you use Safari and use the feature where you can do a two finger swipe to go back & forward between pages, using full screen flawlessly and having the Safari scroll bars - turning back to Chrome makes it feel old.
Do keyboard commands for finding files, cut/paste, opening tabs and closing down apps feel old too? I'm not arguing with you because you obviously love gestures. But its not like the "old" methods of operating a computer are outdated or any less efficient.

BTW. I'm buying a Magic Trackpad to use when I dock my MBA, but I'm still going to use a mouse also because when working certain apps on a large screen I feel mouse control to be more accurate. So if anything is old then its the reliance on cursor control rather than implementing touch screen as an ADDITIONAL method of command input.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Do keyboard commands for finding files, cut/paste, opening tabs and closing down apps feel old too? I'm not arguing with you because you obviously love gestures. But its not like the "old" methods of operating a computer are outdated or any less efficient.

BTW. I'm buying a Magic Trackpad to use when I dock my MBA, but I'm still going to use a mouse also because when working certain apps on a large screen I feel mouse control to be more accurate. So if anything is old then its the reliance on cursor control rather than implementing touch screen as an ADDITIONAL method of command input.

I don't love gestures. I just like the simplicity of the swiping between pages instead of having to click the back button. Yeah I didn't have a problem with doing that pre-Safari 5.1 but now that I know it can be done, I want Chrome to be able to do it too.

The Chrome dev version may have the iOS scroll-bars but I'm not going to be changing from stable Chrome to that when the stable version will have it as soon as Lion is releases, I hope.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Check out chrome://flags and enable Tab Overview. When you swipe down with three fingers it shows an expose like view of all of your tabs. My favorite little known chrome feature.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
MacBookPro13";12923402 said:
I'm with you on that. I dumped Chrome immediately after trying Safari on Lion.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I'm with you on that. I dumped Chrome immediately after trying Safari on Lion.

The only thing I absolutely hate about safari is the tab placement. After having the tabs on top of chrome I have never been able to get used to them being under. And the lack of the omnibox as well.

kftrainer

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Check out chrome://flags and enable Tab Overview. When you swipe down with three fingers it shows an expose like view of all of your tabs. My favorite little known chrome feature.

My version of Tab overview doesn't work I do have a extension that does a cover flow display of the tabs called Tabs. Preview. I like it but it is little out dated in its functionality. Should I uninstall this extension as well.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
My version of Tab overview doesn't work I do have a extension that does a cover flow display of the tabs called Tabs. Preview. I like it but it is little out dated in its functionality. Should I uninstall this extension as well.

I just installed TabsPreview to compare it. I like Google's version better, but I don't know why it wouldn't work for you other than you aren't on a dev build or if you don't have a multi-touch trackpad.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The only thing I absolutely hate about safari is the tab placement. After having the tabs on top of chrome I have never been able to get used to them being under. And the lack of the omnibox as well.
Yep, 2 things that would be really welcome!

kftrainer

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
I just installed TabsPreview to compare it. I like Google's version better, but I don't know why it wouldn't work for you other than you aren't on a dev build or if you don't have a multi-touch trackpad.

well did Tabs Preview work along side the google version or did you disable tab preview to get the google version to work

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
hopefully google will add an option for tabs

if they made it so tabs could be like safari i would consider switching to chrome

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
The one thing I don't like about Chrome (if there is a way to, I don't know about it) is you can't set a master password for your saved passwords. So anyone can see all of your passwords just by going to "Manage Saved Passwords" in Chrome preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.