PDA

View Full Version : EA Paying Up To $1.3 Billion for PopCap Games

MacRumors
Jul 12, 2011, 04:40 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/12/ea-paying-up-to-1-3-billion-for-popcap-games/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/mzl.yiawfvxq.480x480-75.jpg

Electronic Arts is acquiring casual gaming giant PopCap, maker of Plants vs. Zombies (http://appshopper.com/games/plants-vs-zombies) and Bejeweled (http://appshopper.com/games/bejeweled-2), among others. EA is paying out $650 million in cash, $100 million in stock and up to $550 million in earn-outs for hitting financial milestones in the next few years.
"EA and PopCap are a compelling combination," said EA CEO John Riccitiello. "PopCap's great studio talent and powerful IP add to EA's momentum and accelerate our drive towards a $1 billion digital business. EA's global studio and publishing network will help PopCap rapidly expand their business to more digital devices, more countries, and more channels."

"We picked EA because they have recast their culture around making great digital games," said David Roberts, CEO of PopCap. "By working with EA, we'll scale our games and services to deliver more social, mobile, casual fun to an even bigger, global audience."The press release notes that PopCap games have been downloaded more than 1.5 billion times and Bejeweled, the flagship franchise, has sold more than 50 million units.

Tip to Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/electronic-arts-will-be-buying-popcap-for-up-to-13-billion-2011-7).

Article Link: EA Paying Up To $1.3 Billion for PopCap Games (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/12/ea-paying-up-to-1-3-billion-for-popcap-games/)

TMar
Jul 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
EA is evil..

Asclepio
Jul 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
goodbye cool games...

Yamcha
Jul 12, 2011, 05:06 PM
I hate EA.. I really hope PopCap doesn't take the bait.. :P

wordoflife
Jul 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
This might be good considering that EA probably has a ton more resources.

Cougarcat
Jul 12, 2011, 05:12 PM
So long and thanks for all the games, Popcap.

Mattyk182
Jul 12, 2011, 05:32 PM
Looks like we won't be seeing Gamecenter comparability for Bejeweled and Bookworm now. I HATE EA with a passion.

shadowbird423
Jul 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think I've ever said "NO" so loud in response to an article.

OliverOSX93
Jul 12, 2011, 06:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Say hello to PvZ 2. It will be 3 times as easy as number 1 and with only half as much effort from the development team. All but the first 5 plants will require in app purchase ( at a pound a plant ) and the app its self will set you back 10

Rodimus Prime
Jul 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
well so much for those fun games. EA will kill them like they did with other companies they bought up. For example Maxias went from making great stuff to crap.

Sim City was really and then EA took over and it started going down hill quickly.

nwcs
Jul 12, 2011, 06:44 PM
Just like simcity, no more updates to PvZ. I avoid EA stuff now. They have shown that they don't stand behind their programs.

cocacolakid
Jul 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think EA makes Scrabble for iOS, which I do enjoy, but all of the other EA games I've bought during their 99 cent sales blow.

jonnysods
Jul 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
Don't do it pop cap! Your games are good, EA are nasty....!

Man I love PvZ!

SteveAbootman
Jul 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
NBA Jam, Fight Night, Monopoly, Battleship -- all good EA games I've played in the last month or so. I get the trendy thing to do is hate on EA, but those games I've thought are really well done. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

My only real complaint with them now is their steadfast refusal to integrate GameCenter. Leaderboards & Multiplayer are all that's missing from their games.

marksman
Jul 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

This will be a merge and the new company will be called Pop Arts / electronic Cap Games.

Yamcha
Jul 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
I play EA games all the time, but they've ruined some games that I really enjoyed.. so I'm not hating completely.. Also they are often riddled with bugs and lately they've been making console ports, which means they aren't optimized for pc's :(..

I think EA is really just out to make the most money they can..

false
Jul 12, 2011, 07:46 PM
Actually the trendy thing to do now is hate on Activision. Hating on EA is very 2005/2006.

doug in albq
Jul 12, 2011, 07:51 PM
Better have an update for PvZ...

nwcs
Jul 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
Better have an update for PvZ...

It'll happen when SimCity gets an update...

bwillwall
Jul 12, 2011, 09:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Both EA and Microsoft games do not make art... They are just cheap lazy game factories. Valve is where its at, along with some others.

LizKat
Jul 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
Don't do it pop cap! Your games are good, EA are nasty....!

Man I love PvZ!

Yes... wow, I had to take that one off one of my machines for awhile after I first got it. Waaaaay too much time was evaporating.

macduke
Jul 12, 2011, 09:28 PM
I was really interested in PopCap's new 4th & Battery division that focused on smaller, indie-type gameplay. Will this new division survive the EA giant? I sure hope so. Unpleasant Horse is a good start.

digiphantom
Jul 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
now with in-game purchasing DLC.

Zimmy68
Jul 12, 2011, 09:55 PM
At least EA will get off the couch and release some Bejeweled games for the iPad.

LizKat
Jul 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
At least EA will get off the couch and release some Bejeweled games for the iPad.

In-app purchase of what, new shapes? but I liked bejeweled on ipod touch, for being on hold to a bank or tech support of my DSL.

rickvanr
Jul 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
Anyone remember Maxis?

I hope it doesn't happen. PvsZ is amazing

Illusion986
Jul 13, 2011, 12:21 AM
I refuse to buy EA games. I made mistake of buying a couple games on sale a year or so ago that were buggy and crashed to the point where it was unplayable and many people complained in reviews but i thought EA is a reputable company they will fix that soon but guess what... today over a year later still no update and the games are still in app store.

KillerTree
Jul 13, 2011, 01:51 AM
So many nerds hating on EA for no reason. You don't HAVE to buy their sports games.

the8thark
Jul 13, 2011, 03:49 AM
Actually the trendy thing to do now is hate on Activision. Hating on EA is very 2005/2006.
Did Activision kill Blizzard? No.
So I don't think EA will kill PopCap games. That is if PopCap make the games and EA just release them. But EA could riddle the games with the DRM BS. So yeah it could be good or bad depending on how much EA choose to ******* up everything.

mixel
Jul 13, 2011, 04:08 AM
Umm, I suspect PopCap will be relatively unaffected creatively! EA really aren't that bad IMO, they've published a lot of quality stuff over the last few years. Dead Space!

What this is probably about is EA having the biggest casual companyas leverage for their Origin platform/marketplace. Discounts and advantages to Origin users over Steam and other channels could actually get Origin in the hands of a lot more gateway/casual gamers.

Saying that.. There is no Origin for Macs, so this is a bad thing. :(

dj-anon
Jul 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
Bad news for gamers.

roadbloc
Jul 13, 2011, 07:57 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

no no no no no!

Zimmy68
Jul 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
In-app purchase of what, new shapes? but I liked bejeweled on ipod touch, for being on hold to a bank or tech support of my DSL.

Huh? who said anything about in app purchases?

I just want a HD/iPad specific version of Bejeweled Blitz.
It would take them all of 3 seconds to take the Retina version and rewrite it for the iPad, but I guess they are too busy.

And where is Bejeweled 3 on any device?

EvilEvil
Jul 13, 2011, 10:38 AM
Another studio consumed by EA and eventually ruined.

L I G H T I N G
Jul 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
EA is not as bad as people claim them to be.

Madden NFL has always been one of their cornerstone games and their Need For Speed series sets the bar for all racing games.

milo
Jul 13, 2011, 02:01 PM
Here's an example.

Boggle. How do you screw that up, right? Yet EA has managed to do a horrible job of it, the word list doesn't match any standard dictionary with lots of common words missing and including many that are either proper nouns, foreign words, or flat out not words at all.

This became even more obvious in the latest version that has a new feature to look up any word found in the puzzle in an online dictionary - guess what, half the "words" suggested aren't found.

And probably worse than that, earlier versions of the game had head to head play with friends using email address or other ways of connecting. The latest version TOOK THAT OUT and now the only way to do multiplayer is through facebook, which posts things to your account with no way to shut that off. Complete disaster and users are livid about it, thankfully I read the reviews first and haven't updated.

Seriously, if you can botch something as simple as BOGGLE that bad, why should I trust you for any other game?

chrono1081
Jul 18, 2011, 01:38 AM
So many nerds hating on EA for no reason. You don't HAVE to buy their sports games.

You obviously don't know much about the games industry. Not only is EA consistently ranked as one of the worst studios to work for (often claiming the top spot in main studios due to poor pay, overworked employees, and bad benefits) but they tend to ruin everything they get their hands on. As others have stated, take a look at what they did to Maxis.

EA is a puppy mill for game developers and games IMO. They focus on quantity over quality and release a ton of mediocre crap just to rake in money.

johnydecali
Jul 18, 2011, 02:48 AM
YAY!

my own personal opinion... I love EA and how they incorporate game content to other EA games on game consoles. I believe that a large corporation such as EA can shake things up and produce games with PopCap Games that will be better than what Zynga, Rovio, and Glu is producing.

whooleytoo
Aug 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
So long and thanks for all the games, Popcap.

"Bump" a year later, and Popcap have let people go in their Seattle offices and are investigating closing their Dublin office. Sad to see a company go from billion+ value to redundancies in just a year.

lewdvig
Aug 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
EA is also trying to sell itself now.

Quite a few good studios were absorbed and killed over the years. Bullfrog, Pandemic, Bioware is teetering...

I liked the Trip Hawkins version of EA much better. More Road Rash please!

thekev
Aug 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
"Bump" a year later, and Popcap have let people go in their Seattle offices and are investigating closing their Dublin office. Sad to see a company go from billion+ value to redundancies in just a year.

That actually sucks. It's too bad they weren't merely absorbed as a wholly owned subsidiary with some of their work culture left in place. It's sad seeing a very creative company absorbed by .... that.

iMacFarlane
Aug 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
Popcap CEO's quote modified to reflect what was actually going through his mind while he was saying it:

"We picked EA becau$e they have reca$t their culture around making great digital game$," said David Roberts, CEO of PopCap. "By working with EA, we'll $cale our game$ and $ervice$ to deliver more $ocial, mobile, ca$ual fun to an even bigger, global audience."

:(

I remember when EA truly meant "Electronic Arts". M.U.L.E. Archon. Construction sets. They published the first Bard's Tale.

Now, hmmm. "Enormous Amoeba", maybe.

joemod
Aug 22, 2012, 01:26 AM
Popcap CEO's quote modified to reflect what was actually going through his mind while he was saying it:

:(

I remember when EA truly meant "Electronic Arts". M.U.L.E. Archon. Construction sets. They published the first Bard's Tale.

Now, hmmm. "Enormous Amoeba", maybe.

Voting you up, although for 1.3b $ I would have done the same. They made him an offer he could not refuse.

ScottishCaptain
Aug 22, 2012, 01:36 AM
Did Activision kill Blizzard? No.

Never played Diablo 3, huh?

-SC

magbarn
Aug 22, 2012, 08:23 AM
Holy zombie thread lol. It's nice to see the EA supporters pwned by the predictable knockdown of popcap after being absorbed by EA. EA/crapActivision is like clear-channel on radio. Buying up all the creative small-guys and turning them into 'zombie-clones'