PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable MP3s through web app

DDolan
Jul 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
I've been asked by a band to create a web app (which I've done) which they can use to make some of their tracks available to download for free by people at their gigs - the problem is the download part. Obviously iPhone etc. doesn't allow you to download tracks through Safari so I need a quick and simple alternative asap. Any ideas how I could do it?

dejo
Jul 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
Download to where?

DDolan
Jul 13, 2011, 03:05 AM
Download to where?

To the users phone ideally

jiminaus
Jul 13, 2011, 03:28 AM
To the users phone ideally

iOS apps exist in a sand-box. They cannot download files to just anywhere. For example, you wouldn't be able to have your app download the mp3's and have them "installed" in the iPod/Music app on the iOS device.

I think the closest you might get would be to downloaded them into your app and have a player in your app. If the music is on iTunes, I think you could link from your app to the tracks in the iTunes app.

scottperezfox
Jul 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
While we're on the subject of downloading MP3s, is there a way to download MP3s from a website using Safari? I have the URL, but Safari only opens the files and plays them, it doesn't let me download.

Obviously, I could right-click the link and say "Download Linked File As" but this is not from a webpage, it's just from a text file. Some source code, if you must know.

The point is, how do I download a media file without playing it? I used to just paste into the Downloads window, but that's gone now.

holmesf
Jul 28, 2011, 01:04 AM
While we're on the subject of downloading MP3s, is there a way to download MP3s from a website using Safari? I have the URL, but Safari only opens the files and plays them, it doesn't let me download.

Obviously, I could right-click the link and say "Download Linked File As" but this is not from a webpage, it's just from a text file. Some source code, if you must know.

The point is, how do I download a media file without playing it? I used to just paste into the Downloads window, but that's gone now.

I don't know about Safari, but you can always open the terminal and type:
cd ~/downloads; curl -o song.mp3 http://insertyoururlhere.com/song.mp3