Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I normally have a good feeling to when these updates are coming based off the rumors. But seeing as NOTHING (except #'s) has leaked...I think the update is coming next week.

Does the day seem to move slower and slower when you know the update is around the corner?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
tuesday

I am saying tuesday of next week OR, published thursday but not in stores till tuesday

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Seeing how physical media is slowly dieing, I wonder if these new sandy bridge mba would chew at the mbp sales.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Either way my birthday is the 20th...so it'd be perfect for that.
But the "this week rumor" with evidence suggesting next week is KILLING me! lol

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
The overnight at the stores is possibly for lion if its true...but I find it hard to believe that apple would release Lion and not have it preinstalled on the macs its selling, for that reason I think it may be released on the same day as the air, but maybe it will be tuesday. Anyone one else know if the apple stores products all had SL on them when it was released? Either way If apple is released this week I cant see it being later than next tuesday.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not going to do the my friends dogs walkers cousin said blah blah, but I really do have a friend that works as a genius at apple. He has indeed confirmed that there are overnights this week but he does not know what for.

So there's that.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not going to do the my friends dogs walkers cousin said blah blah, but I really do have a friend that works as a genius at apple. He has indeed confirmed that there are overnights this week but he does not know what for.

So there's that.

Let's hope it's for what we're expecting...and not something like making the "iPad the Instruction Display for All Products" lol.

Sinnthetic

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011

So there's that.

Ask your friend while he's there via text messaging why he's there lol.

Only if you want to.

PLEASE <3

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
I think most rumor sites are pointing at next tuesday aren't they?

Doesn't really matter to me, I can't get one for a few months, but I can't wait to find out what's in store for the refresh.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
I think most rumor sites are pointing at next tuesday aren't they?

Doesn't really matter to me, I can't get one for a few months, but I can't wait to find out what's in store for the refresh.

He said they have no clue till they open the boxes and often is nothing but trying to control inventory flow. He said last time they got small shipments for a week before air launch so they just never know

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
NOOOOOOO!!!
Why did I have to be right? :(
I had a "Best Week Ever" list going in my head and it started yesterday and was going through Sunday. Thursday's awesomeness was a new Air...looks like I got nothing to look forward to until tomorrow...when new BLINK 182 music drops :p

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
1am UK is 7pm EST ,and the UK gets if first is beyond laughable.

Yes Apple's love for the Royals has prompted them to offer a wedding present in the form of a 'King' of sorts (beasts that is.... ha ha ha).

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
It doesn't make any sense to "hold back" hardware for an OS update, when there is no stock in the stores and customer demand. Can you imagine if you went to a car dealership to buy a car, and 10 others were waiting to buy a car and they said "sorry, we're out of cars for the next 3 weeks because the new models are going to have a new feature" ... that's absurd, and that's not how marketing has ever or ever will worked.

There has been ZERO credible info to support any correlation between when the laptops would be released, and when Lion would be released. There has never been a case where they altered hardware (look at Leopard - drop in disks, look at Snow Leopard - drop in disks) release plans for a OS. IF they were going to do a big day where they refreshed MacBooks, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, and Mac Mini to coincide with a Lion release, do you not think APPLE of all companies would hold a media event to hype them up? Of course they would.

I know we all WANT to see new MacBook Air, and maybe it'll happen, but the odds are that it won't until the fall. Why would they refresh the MacBook Air when stores are still selling large amounts of the existing model? Look back through the old threads, there were dozens of posts just like this one swearing they were going to update the MBA (1st gen) every other month practically, and it took them a year and a half. Just because you WANT something, doesn't mean it's going to be reality.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I know we all WANT to see new MacBook Air, and maybe it'll happen, but the odds are that it won't until the fall. Why would they refresh the MacBook Air when stores are still selling large amounts of the existing model? Look back through the old threads, there were dozens of posts just like this one swearing they were going to update the MBA (1st gen) every other month practically, and it took them a year and a half. Just because you WANT something, doesn't mean it's going to be reality.

This is a different situation. There's very specific rumors, the model numbers for the new units are even out! And proof that the old ones are running out of stock everywhere. They're coming, all right. I agree though that they're not necessarily linked to Lion launch day but I'm sure the new ones are imminent. There have also been no recent rumors mentioning a fall release.

Another contributing factor is that the C2D CPUs Apple currently uses can no longer be ordered from intel. They could only be ordered until the end of April (for delivery until October). It would be too risky for them to order 6 months worth of chips in one go, because if demand would fall they'd be stuck with them forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.