PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Pro DCS-14n


Moxiemike
Sep 25, 2002, 03:30 PM
Photokina 2002: Kodak has announced the new 14 megapixel DCS-14n. This new digital SLR is even more remarkable for its capture device, a 13.89 megapixel full-frame (36 x 24 mm) CMOS sensor. The magnesium-alloy body is built around a Nikon F100/F80, has a built-in portrait grip and is notably smaller than any previous Kodak DCS D-SLR. The camera is powered by a Lithium-Ion battery, takes Compact Flash (Type I/II) and SD/MMC storage, supports JPEG-ERI (higher dynamic range JPEG) and also features an orientation sensor. The camera should be available in December with an expected street price of US$4,000.

take from dpreview.com

14mp, full frame (means that lenses work as lenses are!), nikon bayonet fmount lenses.... and remember, 35mm silver halides are capable of reproducing about 15mp....so we're almost at true to life photo quality-- for under 4k!!!!

Does this make anyone else run for the towel????

I know it made eye and i.....

Moxiemike
Sep 25, 2002, 03:35 PM
Ugh. I forgot to post the pic of the camera with it. It's pretty nice looking. :D

Please check out www.dpreview.com if you're interested. This guy is the arn of digital cameras.

eyelikeart
Sep 25, 2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
Does this make anyone else run for the towel????

I know it made eye and i.....

ha ha ha!!! :D

the way I figure it...I still gotta master the Minolta Dimage 7i first...

but this can be the next step up for us once www.fotohaus.com makes us rich & famous!! :D ;)

mac15
Sep 25, 2002, 08:50 PM
wow, I got a dispossable Kodak so........

14 megapixels is insane, I know Minolta made a 6Mp on, but 14 is insane

Mr. Anderson
Sep 25, 2002, 10:31 PM
oh I'm drooling ---- going out to buy that lotto ticket right now.....

Actually, 4k is an amazing price, wow, blown away actually. I want one, hell, I'd settle for a 7MP for 1500!

Ah, good things!

D

TMay
Sep 25, 2002, 11:37 PM
Anybody have any experience with Kodak software for tethered operation?

This would be the bomb for connection to an iBook out in the boonies (Yosemite as an example) for time lapse, QTVR and stitched panoramas. Now if only those fuel cells were cheap and available....

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by TMay
Anybody have any experience with Kodak software for tethered operation?

This would be the bomb for connection to an iBook out in the boonies (Yosemite as an example) for time lapse, QTVR and stitched panoramas. Now if only those fuel cells were cheap and available....

I know a gent who is using a Kodak DCS-760 for tethered operation on pCHEESE laptop.

He's had no problems yet with it, and thinks its relatively fast. He's not tech savvy, so his demands are great. So yea, I think it would be the bomb.... especially with a lil' 4 pound iBook..... now if only they made solar chargeable batteries....

Mr. Anderson
Sep 26, 2002, 09:08 AM
Our company is doing some work with Honeywell and they sent out their photographer to take pics of our robot.

He pulls out his TiPB and Digital Haselblad!!! I was floored, but oh what a nice setup for a studio. It had about 6 or 7 MP, not sure exact numbers and was about 3 years old, but still ran about 30k or more.

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Our company is doing some work with Honeywell and they sent out their photographer to take pics of our robot.

He pulls out his TiPB and Digital Haselblad!!! I was floored, but oh what a nice setup for a studio. It had about 6 or 7 MP, not sure exact numbers and was about 3 years old, but still ran about 30k or more.

Man. Dude would have never got any work done if I was there. I'd have been asking question after question after question.

Duke.... have you seen the Nikon d100? 6mp, interchangeable lenses, the works. Around 2k. Will accept f-mount nikon lenses. There's also whispers of nikon coming up with something that counters that Kodak.

I'm thinking a drop in the d100's price, down to 1499 and a new d100x or something that's maybe 11mp and $1999. If they did that....my trigger finger would slip for sure. That considering I found a bunch of old f100 lenses the other day in my attic. :D :D :D :D :D

Mr. Anderson
Sep 26, 2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

I'm thinking a drop in the d100's price, down to 1499 and a new d100x or something that's maybe 11mp and $1999. If they did that....my trigger finger would slip for sure. That considering I found a bunch of old f100 lenses the other day in my attic. :D :D :D :D :D

Hmm, if I could get set up with a nice digital camera body and several good lenses for around 2k I would be working out how to buy it myself. Keep me posted and let me know if anything happens.

D

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Hmm, if I could get set up with a nice digital camera body and several good lenses for around 2k I would be working out how to buy it myself. Keep me posted and let me know if anything happens.

D

Haha. Will do. If you can get your hands on a d100, even if just to play, by all means do it. It's a beautiful little bugger.

And it's fast and has INSANELY nice pic quality.

I just wish it were a few hundred cheaper! As it stands, and i think eye will agree... the dimage 7i is a nice intermediate camera-- 70-200 lenses is sharp all around, the 49mm thread gives you the option of using some filters and add-ons, and the features on it give you quite a bit to digest.

But man. I still want a true "DSLR" so badly.... :D

What do you shoot with now duke??

Mr. Anderson
Sep 26, 2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

But man. I still want a true "DSLR" so badly.... :D

What do you shoot with now duke??

You and me both....I have a Minolta Mazim 7000, bought back in 85 or so and a couple lenses. Its served me well, but I'm ready to get a new one. And I think digital is what I'm going to do. And it would have to be a DSLR - when a good body gets down to around $1000 street price, that will probably be when I make the move.

I had a Kodak 4600 digital, 4.1 MegPixel, but the dog broke it, so I'm currently without a digital camera. I'm waiting to replace it, but I might just wait a bit longer. No reason to buy a $600 camera that I'll only use for a year. I can stick with the Minolta and scanning for a while longer.

D

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


You and me both....I have a Minolta Mazim 7000, bought back in 85 or so and a couple lenses. Its served me well, but I'm ready to get a new one. And I think digital is what I'm going to do. And it would have to be a DSLR - when a good body gets down to around $1000 street price, that will probably be when I make the move.

I had a Kodak 4600 digital, 4.1 MegPixel, but the dog broke it, so I'm currently without a digital camera. I'm waiting to replace it, but I might just wait a bit longer. No reason to buy a $600 camera that I'll only use for a year. I can stick with the Minolta and scanning for a while longer.

D

i wish minolta would get off their bums and make a DSLR that echoes the Maxxum 7 (the updated model of your cam). They could use minolta lenses, minolta flashes, etc.

that's the problem with DSLR-- I wouldn't mind spending 2k on a camera, but it's like, only if i can use stuff i have investment in. I've got a nice box of glass here... the minolta maxxum 4 stuff (mentioned below) a bunch of old minolta MF glass, and a box of f100 goodies. :D

Of course, stumbling on a good grand worth of Nikon glass from my deceased uncle was nice-- but I have more minolta lenses, a nice minolta flash....and a maxxum 4 body now. Basically, the flash is interchangeable with the dimage, so I have a nice set of stuff to take out with me.

had i found that nikon stuff a month ago, you could be sure I;d be raving about the d100. As it stands, it's tempting to sell the minolta and go grab a d100.

Oh. One more thing—the DSLR would have to be full frame too. Don't give me no weak digital aspect ratio! :D

haha.

boom-boom
Sep 26, 2002, 12:25 PM
He He im off to Photokina tomorrow to check this baby out!! By the way does anyone need a free ticket for Photokina a collegue of mine can't go. Just email me.

Oh yeah and 4k is cheeeeap I will be saving $3000 on film alone!! well worth it! And there was me looking at buying a d60!

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by boom-boom
He He im off to Photokina tomorrow to check this baby out!! By the way does anyone need a free ticket for Photokina a collegue of mine can't go. Just email me.

Oh yeah and 4k is cheeeeap I will be saving $3000 on film alone!! well worth it! And there was me looking at buying a d60!

Awesome! You definitely have to report on this! I'm psyched to hear your reactions

Mr. Anderson
Sep 26, 2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by boom-boom
He He im off to Photokina tomorrow to check this baby out!! By the way does anyone need a free ticket for Photokina a collegue of mine can't go. Just email me.


Yes, by all means let us know what you think. Damn, and I just got an expense check handed to me for 4168.89.....too bad I have to pay off the credit card, damn!

Mr. Anderson
Sep 26, 2002, 01:53 PM
The president of my company just came up to ask me if Digital Cameras work with macs.....ha!

So after being involved with this thread, I had to tell him about the Kodak. Now he's a photographer himself and has a whole bunch of cameras, but he's interested in getting a good digital. He was seriously considering the new Kodak when he heard, but realized the he'll never need 14MP!

But I have a serious question - does the d100 work with iPhoto or is there a better way to download the images? What about the Kodak 14n? Would iPhoto be able to handle it?

I need to know so I can advise him on what to buy....money isn't that much of an option and he has a Sawtooth 450MHz at home that his wife uses, that will be the Mac he'll do his imaging on.

Thanks,

D

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
The president of my company just came up to ask me if Digital Cameras work with macs.....ha!

So after being involved with this thread, I had to tell him about the Kodak. Now he's a photographer himself and has a whole bunch of cameras, but he's interested in getting a good digital. He was seriously considering the new Kodak when he heard, but realized the he'll never need 14MP!

But I have a serious question - does the d100 work with iPhoto or is there a better way to download the images? What about the Kodak 14n? Would iPhoto be able to handle it?

I need to know so I can advise him on what to buy....money isn't that much of an option and he has a Sawtooth 450MHz at home that his wife uses, that will be the Mac he'll do his imaging on.

Thanks,

D

The D100 comes with Nikon View 5.1, which is OS X compatible. You can import and view with it.

iPhoto. Hmm. I'd actually advise against using it--iPhoto peed the bed when I started upping 5mp files (14.1 tif, 2mb jpg) after about 100 of them. It killed the performance of the machine.

That said, the D100 isn't on the iPhoto compatibility list. However, it's OSX compatible, and as such, the card will show up on the desktop, just have to download manually from there to use iPhoto.

I used NIkon View with my old 880.... it was pretty ok. Slow though.

iView Media Pro (50 bucks a license i think) is RIPPIN' awesome. It's fast, makes nice databases with EXIF file data and ALSO can display quark files, pdf's etc etc.

it's by far the runaway. I'd use that over iPhoto any day.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 26, 2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

iView Media Pro (50 bucks a license i think) is RIPPIN' awesome. It's fast, makes nice databases with EXIF file data and ALSO can display quark files, pdf's etc etc.

it's by far the runaway. I'd use that over iPhoto any day.

thanks, once he gets a camera, I'll probably get the iView Media Pro - what about image storage on the camera, what are the options?

D

Moxiemike
Sep 26, 2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


thanks, once he gets a camera, I'll probably get the iView Media Pro - what about image storage on the camera, what are the options?

D

NIkon's are all cf media guys. I'd get a couple of 256 cards-- microdrives are nice but eat batteries for lunchies.

The D100 uses USB. Which is fairly speedy. The Kodak has firewire. which is WAY awesome.

boom-boom
Sep 27, 2002, 02:50 PM
Just got back from Photokina, I can say that this camera is absolutely amazing it is compact and lightweight the pictures are unbelieveable! The battery they use is very similar to the cellphone batteries. Canon have also released a new camera the 1Ds(tudio) it is 11mp but when it is released it will retail for aprox twice that of the Kodak! ($10,000)! Way over priced! When I asked the Kodak engineer if there will be a Canon version of the Kodak 14n he said that this camera is a Nikon, then he said we are going to try selling a few of these first! So look out for a Kodak 14c early next year!

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 19, 2004, 02:53 PM
Is this some database error. How did this get bumped up?