PDA

View Full Version : monoprice has some new cases / access

gigaguy
Jul 12, 2011, 11:21 PM
I like the no bezel, magnetic closure, triple fold cover one they have in black or red for $10.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10843&cs_id=1084309&p_id=8456&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

bobright
Jul 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
I like the no bezel, magnetic closure, triple fold cover one they have in black or red for $10.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10843&cs_id=1084309&p_id=8456&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I agree looks nice, the question for me would it fit with a full body shield?

gigaguy
Jul 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
Well I have a carbon fiber skin on the back so I'll post the result. also ordered 2 matte screen protectors. $2 sounded fine to stop the glare, if I can get it on there cleanly. not always easy with the cheaper ones.

bobright
Jul 13, 2011, 07:47 PM
Well I have a carbon fiber skin on the back so I'll post the result. also ordered 2 matte screen protectors. $2 sounded fine to stop the glare, if I can get it on there cleanly. not always easy with the cheaper ones.

Yes please do let me know - still in search of a compatible case with a body skin.

h00ligan
Jul 13, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm interested in knowing how the case and matte protectors work out too. Keep us posted, subscribing.

sexytabitha
Jul 14, 2011, 02:25 AM
Me too sounds like high quality items at that price:D

firoze
Jul 14, 2011, 02:56 AM

"Magnetic Closure" - does that mean it incorporates the automatic sleep/wake feature; or just that the cover simply remains closed magnetically?

gigaguy
Jul 14, 2011, 08:27 AM
I read it to mean magnetic closure, not an on/off function.

zaxdude
Jul 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
"Magnetic Closure" - does that mean it incorporates the automatic sleep/wake feature; or just that the cover simply remains closed magnetically?

Monoprice has a user on here...has indicated in other threads to PM him with any questions... You might try to message him to see what he says about the closure.

Monoprice User (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=529366)

firoze
Jul 15, 2011, 01:37 PM
Monoprice has a user on here...has indicated in other threads to PM him with any questions... You might try to message him to see what he says about the closure.

Monoprice User (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=529366)

Thank you! I will do that.

gigaguy
Jul 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
Got my Monoprice black case today, quality is very good, pretty slim, which is a must for this Yoobao nut. DOES have magnetic closure, and on/off. Material is not bad at all, slight spongy padding to cover material, not too slippery or plasticky, but interior material (inside flap and inside back) is more like a shiny furry Elvis black velvet painting. Back shell is thin hard plastic, exc fit, with small corner clips that iPad snaps into, very slim, and minimal. Nice fit and finish too. no problem with my carbon fiber back skin for fit.

Only weakness is the typing mode is not well designed. Its lower than I like, and is not that secure in that position. Seems to have no magnetic hold like the Apple smart cover, and no latch like Yoobaos and others. It just folds into the crease, but isn't terribly secure IMO. Its workable, but not great. I had posted that there was NO typing mode before, cause I originally could not get it to securely fold that way, but it seems doable. The movie view mode is better, and more secure.
hmm, I'm more disappointed with the low angle than the security of that fold, but neither aspect is great.
for $10 it beats most all other non-leather cases and some leather ones otherwise.
++Slim design, hard back, open bezel, good fit and finish.
- Typing mode.

sexytabitha
Jul 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
You do know the new versions of the Yoobao have magnetic closures now? The ver 3 Yoobao executive case and the ver 2 iSmart case

Got my Monoprice black case today, quality is very good, pretty slim, which is a must for this Yoobao nut. DOES have magnetic closure, and on/off. Material is not bad at all, slight spongy padding to cover material, not too slippery or plasticky, but interior material (inside flap and inside back) is more like a shiny furry Elvis black velvet painting. Back shell is thin hard plastic, exc fit, with small corner clips that iPad snaps into, very slim, and minimal. Nice fit and finish too. no problem with my carbon fiber back skin for fit.

Only weakness is the typing mode is not well designed. Its lower than I like, and is not that secure in that position. Seems to have no magnetic hold like the Apple smart cover, and no latch like Yoobaos and others. It just folds into the crease, but isn't terribly secure IMO. Its workable, but not great. I had posted that there was NO typing mode before, cause I originally could not get it to securely fold that way, but it seems doable. The movie view mode is better, and more secure.
hmm, I'm more disappointed with the low angle than the security of that fold, but neither aspect is great.
for $10 it beats most all other non-leather cases and some leather ones otherwise.
- Typing mode.

gigaguy
Jul 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Yes I do, waiting on the new rubber edged leather Yoobao. but I dont think it has closure. Mag closure is not my main want, but nice.

bobright
Jul 15, 2011, 11:13 PM

- Typing mode.

Nice thanks for the review and your thoughts, so basically a back skin/shield should work with this case then right? Does it snap in correctly though really snug?

I wonder if a back skin would work with there other cases such as the TPU and Polycarbonate ones?

gigaguy
Jul 15, 2011, 11:40 PM
I've never had a problem fitting any case on my iPad2 with a carbon skin on back. it snapped easily into the monoprice, no problem. clear skins are even thinner than my carbon fiber textured skin.

bobright
Jul 16, 2011, 04:38 AM
I've never had a problem fitting any case on my iPad2 with a carbon skin on back. it snapped easily into the monoprice, no problem. clear skins are even thinner than my carbon fiber textured skin.
That's great one more thing forgot to mention did you have a screen protector?

gigaguy
Jul 16, 2011, 09:01 AM
No. But this case is only $10, not a big gamble. magnetic closure is actually really nice. Cant remember if the apple cover has it,

trsblader
Jul 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
Anyone else used this? I'm thinking that for 10 bucks, you can't really go wrong, unless it's completely unusable.

Bearxor
Jul 16, 2011, 04:41 PM
I got mine today. I'll post some pictures later. I'm not very happy with it.

Basically, if you're looking for a case like this, this is probably the cheapest you're going to get. That doesn't make it nice, just affordable.

There are better alternatives out there in this design but they run $60-80.

It is what it is.

http://www.bearxor.com/pics/monopricecase

If anyone's interested in more pics.

gigaguy
Jul 16, 2011, 10:38 PM
Odd report, your case looks like a grainier cover material than mine, not sure why its different. but I think this case is very nice, and I've used SFbags cases, Killspencer, Yoobao leather, Apple Smart, ebay sendoffs.

No way are some $50-60 cases worth 5 or 6x this case. I've seen some very flawed, poor materials and design in many $30-40 cases.

Monoprice is slim, full coverage, magnetic closure works fine, good back protection, clean front with subtle clips and open bezel. not bad at all. can't tell if material used is long lasting, but the fact it stays closed will protect my ipad better than all other cases I've had. considering some companies charge more for shipping than this case costs I like it..
to each his own.

sexytabitha
Jul 16, 2011, 10:57 PM
I got mine today. I'll post some pictures later. I'm not very happy with it.

Basically, if you're looking for a case like this, this is probably the cheapest you're going to get. That doesn't make it nice, just affordable.

There are better alternatives out there in this design but they run $60-80.

It is what it is.

http://www.bearxor.com/pics/monopricecase

If anyone's interested in more pics.

You do get what you pay for and by the time you spend $10 buying 10 cheap cases you spent maore than buying a good case,,,

laurenr
Jul 17, 2011, 03:49 AM
Got my Monoprice black case today.......

I'm thinking your house will soon need a room addition to house your Case Collection:rolleyes::p

Bearxor
Jul 17, 2011, 06:02 AM
Monoprice is slim, full coverage, magnetic closure works fine, good back protection, clean front with subtle clips and open bezel.

I'll give you slim with a clean front and an open bezel.

It is NOT full coverage. The bottom and top of the back are wide open so it doesn't have good back protection. When closed, look at picture number 5. It doesn't even fully protect the right side of the iPad. The magnetic closure works, but doesn't hold. Very light pressure is all that's required to detach it.

I imagine that, if I dropped my iPad n this case, unless it landed directly face down, the case wouldn't really help. If it lands on a corner, then the front cover will pop open and you'll just have to hold your breath and pray it lands where it doesn't touch the screen.

Now, for the $14 this cost with shipping, it's ok. But I was using a FitFolio 2 before this and think I like it a lot better. It is full coverage. I also like how it has multiple viewing angles. It also has a bungie cord to keep the thing closed should I drop it. It's not as slim and it doesn't have smart cover functionality but I'm starting to think I don't care.

I do think you need to use a case for a good few days before deciding though. I remember not being to enthralled with the FitFolio. I was used to skin cases that covered the back from my iPad 1. But found I really liked it after a week. I'll do the same for the mono price case. Like I said, it's decent but not what in would consider awesome.

gigaguy
Jul 17, 2011, 07:50 AM
I agree with your comments. I'm just not needing this case to be the end all one. I do have a carbon back skin so the coverage seemed fuller for that i guess.
As Lauren says I've had a few cases! I like trying them out. I had 4 yoobaos, ver1 got a keepit refund for problems, bought all v2 colors when they were $14 to try out, sold 3. Had 2 SFBags cases I used with iPad 1 & 2, sold those. My preowned iPad 2 came with black leather smart cover, don't use it, and no one is buying used ones for much $.
Early on got a $5 eBay tpu, and a $5 smart friendly back. Ordered an icarer but returned it, wrong case sent. Got the rarish killspencer carry case on a charity auction but sold it unused. I use a STM iPad jacket for daily transporting and the black yooobao is my daily cover.
So I've had a few, but not much $ spent.
My hopeful final answer will be the newest leather yoobao, that has hard back, open bezel, Rubber trim!, this is what the icarer i wanted had too. Grip and hold comfort is what I've wanted.
So ipad casing can be a hobby guess, but with very little net cost so far.

laurenr
Jul 17, 2011, 08:19 AM
?..........
My hopeful final answer will be the newest leather yoobao, that has hard back, open bezel, Rubber trim!, this is what the icarer i wanted had too. Grip and hold comfort is what I've wanted.
Have you got a link for this case? Not sure if I've seen it, sounds interesting. Funny thing, out of all the cases I have seen, the Yoobao and Chinao cases are still my favorite.

gigaguy
Jul 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
http://www.yoobao.com/en/product.asp?b_id=126&m_id=160&a_id=360

There was a thread but with yoobao, versions get mixed up and it got diverted. If this had mag closure it would have every feature I want in a slim design. The icarer was very close to this but had a dangling tongue latch.

laurenr
Jul 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.yoobao.com/en/product.asp?b_id=126&m_id=160&a_id=360

There was a thread but with yoobao, versions get mixed up and it got diverted. If this had mag closure it would have every feature I want in a slim design. The icarer was very close to this but had a dangling tongue latch.

Seriously......you should NOT have shown me this case:p I am now reaching the furtive stage of having to hide iPad cases from Hubby.:cool:

bobright
Jul 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
Gig-

I'm curious just an update if ya will, how is the monoprice case holding up?

Would you recommend it as a holdover case till I find something else?

Also in comparison bulk-wise to the yoobao slim how much thicker is this case? It seems not so bulky but saw a reviewer on monoprice say it's thick like the original iPad case whatever that means

gigaguy
Jul 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yikes, So much confusing info, I'll try not to add to it.!
I used the Apple iPad1 case for a year. It was one of the thinnest full body iPad1 folios out there. it was a very thin rubbery microfiber, kind of like those fabric rubber coated air mattresses. anyway, thin. kinda like a thicj skin, but NO WAY a thick case in any way..

THe Yoobao was almost that thin, but has a hard shell back, that the Apple didn't have. All 3 of these cases are thin. I only buy thin cases. the Monoprice was the thickest, but still a thin case.

THe Mono is okay to use. Its kind of spongy in feel. It feels more secure than the Yoobao i-Slim did. My go to case is still the original Yoobao slim exec leather, that had 3 versions. It has the 2 fold flap stand, unlike the iSlim Yoobao and the mono which have the apple smart cover type folding flap, into a small triangle. I prefer the double fold over the apple truple fold in the Smart cover. confused? hope not.
I'm having a hard time recommending to others now, everyone has likes and dislikes.

bobright
Jul 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thx gig that makes more sense now, it wasn't you who was confusing the guy on monoprice confused me. heh

One last thing going to most likely pull the trigger - how does it holdup standing in this position while on your lap? Not very good? (see pic)

http://www.bearxor.com/pics/monopricecase/photo11.JPG

gigaguy
Jul 29, 2011, 10:16 PM
- Typing mode.

I posted on this earlier, typing mode is weak,

sexytabitha
Jul 29, 2011, 11:02 PM
a case with a phone cable cool, does it have a flashlight as well?