Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbookmini.jpg

It seems that some the part numbers leaked earlier this week are not for the new Mac Pros, but instead for new Mac minis and White MacBooks. At least, according to 9to5Mac who originally reported the part numbers, and who has now issued a correction.

The revised part descriptions and groupings are as follows:
MC914LL/A - J59, BEST - USA - White MacBook
MC936LL/A - J40, ULTIMATE - USA - Mac mini Server
MC815LL/A - J40I, BETTER - USA - Mac mini standard configuration
MC816LL/A - J40, BEST - USA Faster Mac mini
The original report had pegged these as "Mac Pro" part numbers instead. Meanwhile, the associated MacBook Air part numbers in the original report are said to still be considered accurate and are believed to be launching imminently.

Both the Mac mini and white MacBook are overdue for updates as tracked by our Buyer's Guide. There had been few rumors about their release, though they'll certainly adopt the latest Intel processors as well as Thunderbolt interfaces.

Meanwhile, the last credible rumor for the next Mac Pro release had it pegged in early August which is only a few weeks away.

Article Link: Those Were Mac Minis and White MacBook Part Numbers, Not Mac Pros

Last edited by a moderator:

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
I'm really interested to see what happens with the minis. I'm guessing we'll see dual-core i5 and i7 options, much like the 13" MBP. I'm also guessing it'll keep the optical drive and support a maximum 8GB RAM. I'd love to stick one on my desk, but their cost vs custom building a quad-core i5 with 16GB RAM and a much faster SSD means I'll probably be buying a non-Apple computer very soon -- it'll be the first non-Apple computer since my HP laptop in 2005 (I've bought 5 Apple computers since then! Yikes.).

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
any ideas on specs / prices for the MacMinis? I love to get one as a media server running Plex.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for the info.

@Arnold: No offense mate, but this isn't twitter. You could have made the title a bit more professional.

I played around with a few titles, but this got across the message the best. :)

arn

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I agree with Hellhammer about the Mac Pros .... but am I the only one shocked that Apple is still hanging on to the white macbook? Considering they can just nix it with the Airs ... Unless they give the white macbooks the specs of the Air (ie: Higher resolution screen ) I wouldn't get to excited.

The mini should be interesting. Apple in the past, hasn't made it a powerful machine, compared to the other desktops. Apple should shoe-horn 16GB ram option and an option for dual 512 SSD's in the server model.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I agree with Hellhammer about the Mac Pros .... but am I the only one shocked that Apple is still hanging on to the white macbook? Considering they can just nix it with the Airs ... Unless they give the white macbooks the specs of the Air (ie: Higher resolution screen ) I wouldn't get to excited.

I think they are still popular and affordable for educational customers. Apple held on to the eMac for education for a long time too.

arn

BlueHedgehog

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
It's been a long time since the 2010 MacBooks and Mac Minis have been updated.

See? They're holding off new hardware releases until OS X Lion.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I think they are still popular and affordable for educational customers. Apple held on to the eMac for education for a long time too.

arn

Thats a good point, the education market would prefer these models instead of investing in higher priced hardware.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

arn

I also think there's a big psychological hurdle when one enters the four digit price range for a notebook for a university student. Especially, when some competitors are only 500-600 USD.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
on the one hand, I'm happy to see the mini back in the frame. On the other hand, not so happy to see it alongside model numbers for the macbook. Does that make it more likely that the mini specs will align with the macbook rather than the MBP?

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I'm really interested to see what happens with the minis. I'm guessing we'll see dual-core i5 and i7 options, much like the 13" MBP. I'm also guessing it'll keep the optical drive and support a maximum 8GB RAM. I'd love to stick one on my desk, but their cost vs custom building a quad-core i5 with 16GB RAM and a much faster SSD means I'll probably be buying a non-Apple computer very soon -- it'll be the first non-Apple computer since my HP laptop in 2005 (I've bought 5 Apple computers since then! Yikes.).

Yep. And later you will regret it.
Faster is fun, but how many full read/write do you have on the SSD? Ok, you can start applications 0.5 sec faster then a "slow" SSD.

16GB ram? What are you going to do? 2000000x2000000 images in Photoshop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.