Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Also do they have to be loaded via iTunes or can you view them off of websites?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
ipad can read just about any type of file.

1. amazon has tons of free books in their store. just download the kindle app and start shopping. the books will come to you in kindle (.mobi) format. it is a nice app and a pleasant reading experience. books are easily downloaded from your library inside amazon's servers.

2. ibooks is a free app already installed on the ipad. i believe it can read epub books. there are tons of those out there, including at your local library. it is a nice app, but a little limited in functionality. itunes is a little clunky, but google around and you can figure out how to get books into it.

3. goodreader is an inexpensive app that does a fabulous job with pdf files. i highly recommend it. but, ibooks can also read pdfs. there are tons of pdfs out there. just google it. you load apps through itunes. it is not very intuitive, but there is advice everywhere online. you can also download goodreaderusb to your computer and easily drag and drop (thereby avoiding itunes).

at some point you may develop an affinity for one app over another. download calibre to your computer and you can convert files to different formats. this will enable you to read in the app of your choice.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Let's try answering the OP's question:

Two sites you might try are:

Project Gutenberg

and

epubBooks

both of which offer a wide variety of free, out-of-copyright books, including many, many classics. The process of importing the downloaded files and installing them on your iPad is detailed here.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Let's try answering the OP's question:

Two sites you might try are:

Project Gutenberg

and

epubBooks

both of which offer a wide variety of free, out-of-copyright books, including many, many classics. The process of importing the downloaded files and installing them on your iPad is detailed here.

Actually, I did answer the OP's question. And, I think I did so quite well :)

Many (if not all) of the materials available on Project Gutenburg are available from Amazon. The process is extremely simple (as I pointed out). 1. download amazon app. 2. go to amazon store and download free books. 3. open kindle app and read. As an added bonus, you can access any of the books any time from your amazon account, so no reason to waste memory, and you can read the books on any device. as another super bonus, amazon will bookmark the books for you and remember where you were no matter what device you read the book on.

really, i see little point in using project gutenburg if you have access to amazon...

It gets more complicated with libraries (they have websites, but of course that varies acc. to op's location), but not terribly tough. A short chat with the librarian will get it all sorted out.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
I love the free library section of Baen Books.... As well as the paid section.
See
http://www.baen.com/library/

SF, fantasy, etc. They have been handing out a part of their catalog on cd's in the bach of their hardcover books for years.
Authors include David Weber, Mersdyes Lackey, John Ringo, Eric Flint, Robert Heinline, David Drake, etc:)

Pagandeva2000

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
Actually, I did answer the OP's question. And, I think I did so quite well :)

Many (if not all) of the materials available on Project Gutenburg are available from Amazon. The process is extremely simple (as I pointed out). 1. download amazon app. 2. go to amazon store and download free books. 3. open kindle app and read. As an added bonus, you can access any of the books any time from your amazon account, so no reason to waste memory, and you can read the books on any device. as another super bonus, amazon will bookmark the books for you and remember where you were no matter what device you read the book on.

really, i see little point in using project gutenburg if you have access to amazon...

It gets more complicated with libraries (they have websites, but of course that varies acc. to op's location), but not terribly tough. A short chat with the librarian will get it all sorted out.
I think you answered quite well, also. I have the kindle app, and yes, I get free books from them daily. Another site is ereaderiq.com. Type in a genre and look at the selections. If you choose a book, it'll take you straight to amazon for download. Good thing about that site compared to Amazon is that the amazon kindle section only shows 100 free books per day. This one is well in the thousands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.