PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 DDR2 (2 Phisical CPU's)?

sirozzy
Jul 13, 2011, 06:06 AM
I have a question. ;) I have one of those and was wondering that as far as i know i have another slot for CPU on the Logicboard. Is it possible to plug another one of those Dual 2.0 on it? Why the logic board have that feature if that slot stays empty? Anyone have try to put another Dual 2.0?
I could buy one for 20 and make it as quad 2.0 :)

Asking for answer with explanations why not. Not just saying "no" :)
Thank you.

mrkramer
Jul 13, 2011, 06:22 AM
I've never heard of anyone trying it, I don't think your model actually has the second slot for the CPU, have you actually looked to see if there is a place for one? If it does have an extra slot then it is there just because Apple wanted to standardize the logic boards between all the configurations of G5s.

MacHamster68
Jul 13, 2011, 06:29 AM
in theory possible but you need to go watercooled in order to get half sufficient cooling as aircooling the dual cores is i guess a no go route possible why apple gone watercooling and need to deal with those shortcomings in the cooling system (leak's) , then there is still the question if the board can handle 2 dual core processors as to my knowledge nobody ever even tried it , which would evetually mean to get a board of the quad core , the watercooling system of the quad core and a second dual core cpu plus doughtercard and .......
so its a lot cheaper and a lot easier to just get the 2.5ghz quad core in first place if you want the power of four cores

sirozzy
Jul 13, 2011, 06:49 AM
Thank you v.much. That's exactly what i wanted to hear ;)

So it's simple i need Quad 2.5 :)

Thanks again guys