PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3 Universal Binary Issues

MinuteBracelet
Jul 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but I'm still new so here I go.

I got the Ultimate Quake trilogy over amazon for 20 dollars. I installed all three Quakes using a windows computer, and then downloaded the applications GLQuake, Quake 2 for mac, and Quake 3 UB for use with mac. I copied all three to my iBook G3, which is more than enough to handle the system requirements.
GLQuake and Quake 2 run perfectly, but Quake 3 Universal Binary just progresses as follows, ultimately leading to a crash:
1.ID logo pops up as a splash screen
2.Desktop goes black, cinematic plays
3.CD key prompt flashes for a moment, Game crashes

Now once this happened I went over and used my intel imac to run Quake 3 off my ibook, since the app is Universal. It worked perfectly, aside from slowness in loading the cinematic and transitioning due to me using the network to run it off my ibook. I entered the CD key and everything, then I shut down and went back to my ibook, where upon starting Quake 3, the CD key remained unentered, so obviously that approach didn't work.

My theory is that somehow, some way, Q3 requires more memory of some sort, which is highly unlikely due to the fact that Quake 3 was originally released for Mac os 9.
But does anyone here know how I can edit the .cfg file to give Q3 moar breathing room, or something of the sort?
Any help is appreciated.

MinuteBracelet
Jul 17, 2011, 04:38 PM
*bump*
You'd think that in a forum filled with Mac-savvy users at least one person would have responded by now. Not even a link to another topic that may help?

cal6n
Jul 18, 2011, 06:38 PM
IIRC, there have been multiple binaries as OS X has progressed. For example, there was one that was Jaguar compatible and then one that was altivec enabled specifically for the G4. You probably need an earlier one for your G3.

*edit* PM sent...