PDA

View Full Version : Is iOS 5 Beta 3 Stable for Everyday Use?

Seraphx17
Jul 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking of installing Beta 3 of iOS 5 to my iPhone 4. I heard that the performance has much improved, etc. For people who have it, how well does it function/how stable is it for normal use? Should I wait until beta 4?

saving107
Jul 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait for the GM

Saberon
Jul 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah I mean each beta improves a bit on the last but for everyday use you'll still be frustrated here and there. GM is the way to go.

jman240
Jul 14, 2011, 04:19 PM
Things you should know.

Each beta does the following
-fixes bugs from previous betas, sometimes
-introduces new (and somethings strange) bugs. usually nothing horrible
-tweaks different OS elements here and there such as how notifications are displayed.
-has some minor stability issues ie springboard crashing etc. Very seldom.
-breaks some apps functionality. Netflix still doesn't work. I have a feeling they need to update their app for it to function again in iOS5.

Trius
Jul 14, 2011, 04:20 PM
From what I've experienced, Beta 3 is much more stable than Beta 2 was.

Daniel L
Jul 14, 2011, 04:28 PM
Beta 3 is a huge improvement over beta 2 in regards to app compatibility and speed. It feels just as fast as iOS 4.3.

rjohnstone
Jul 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
I would not recommend using a beta on any phone you depend on.
Yes, it's more stable than 2, but still not ready for prime time.
I still get freezing a lot while scrolling or changing screens.
I've reported the issues, so let's hope they get addressed.

It's on my dev phone, not my daily use one so it can crash/hang/freeze all it wants.

bmms8
Jul 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
i like it, my battery life is also improved. woke up with 96% instead of something in the 70s after a full charge. only problems i seem to be having are pictures not saving sometimes and in wrong order. otherwise small bugs but easily can be used for everyday use

BlindMellon
Jul 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
You can almost guarantee the apps you rely on most will be, at least partially, broken.

Armeniandave
Jul 14, 2011, 06:44 PM
It's working fine on my everyday phone. Most all my apps work except Netflix of course. I have three developer iPhones 4 running it and it's worked fine. Beta 3 is much improved over Beta 3 in regards to battery and bugs. You can always downgrade it if you want to back to 4.3.3

mattdo93
Jul 14, 2011, 07:21 PM
Beta 2 was so horrible it almost made me go back to 4.3.3

But beta 3 is alot more stable and the battery doesn't totally suck. It's good enough for me. However, alot of my apps (especially Safari) will crash occasionally. Oh well.

aleni
Jul 14, 2011, 10:02 PM
watch out for safari bug in beta 3. sometimes the webpage isn't rendered at all or rendered half of that. so you can only see half or 1/3 of the page and u have to close safari from the multitasking bar and open it again. really a time waster for me.

facebook app has "no internet connection please try again" bug after u posted a comment, well the iPhone's facebook app sucks ass too anyway.

for everything else is much better than beta 2 but if i were u, i'd wait for a GM at the least.

im going to downgrade to 4.3.3 after i posted this. :)

rdowty
Jul 14, 2011, 10:18 PM
I have it on my iPad 2 and everything works but things do crash alot. Usually not a problem and I just have to reopen the app and I'm back in business but I'll be glad when things smooth out. I had to do the beta to try out wireless mirroring.

GoKyu
Jul 14, 2011, 10:21 PM
I'm running beta 3 on my iPad 2, and it feels a good bit faster than beta 2. One noticeable issue though is with iCab Mobile browser. It does randomly crash, especially when I'm on MacRumors...

SexyBeast
Jul 15, 2011, 01:00 AM
I'm not a developer, but I've had all three betas and I've felt that all three have been stable enough for everyday use. Apps crash here and there. With Beta 2, I couldn't use the Chase bank app at all. However having all the new features has made it worth it. For the most part, my phone functions with no problems.

roflc0pter
Jul 15, 2011, 01:15 AM
How many betas before GM? Will there be RC's as well?

mattdo93
Jul 15, 2011, 01:35 AM
How many betas before GM?

I believe there's 4 betas til GM

fabian9
Jul 15, 2011, 01:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

How many betas before GM?

Unless you have knowledge of apples internal release schedule, I don't think you can assume that's it's 4 before the GM.

It may have been 4 in the past, but that's no indication that it'll be 4 again...

gpat
Jul 15, 2011, 02:21 AM
Don't do it. I tried and went back to 4.3.3.

bandofbrothers
Jul 15, 2011, 02:30 AM
Hi,

No offense but the op obviously is not a dev.

Leave it to the boys in the know and wait with excitement for the polished global released version of the ios5 !

itsmemuffins
Jul 15, 2011, 02:43 AM
It's a beta, what do ya think dude?:rolleyes:

rjohnstone
Jul 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
How many betas before GM? Will there be RC's as well?

I'm using Beta 3 now and it still has some bugs.
So at a minimum at least one more beta is needed, then you have RC and then GM. (you never go Beta straight to GM)
How many will depend on what bugs are found and when in the dev cycle they are addressed.

In short.... nobody knows. ;)

willsoriano
Jul 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
I found beta 2 to be far better than b3. Sure I lost Netflix and HBOGO, but I canceled Netflix because of the price hike anyways. Beta 2 was wonderful stable with minor quirks that were of no real inconvience because I was able to have better notifications and man was safari better! But b3. Safari is junk, iPod "music" is junk, the app store is junk, Facebook is broken although in my opinion it always has been.

Stable for every day use? Yes, but keep your connector cable and laptop close by for the many restores youll end up performing.

Ksizzle9
Jul 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
I use it on my daily driver, as its the only iPhone that i have. So all in all, with b3 im happy, a few apps dont work completely, but i can use the browser. My main complaint is that sufari has a few bugs.

spencers
Jul 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've had problems with random crashing in beta 3, specifically with Facebook, Tapatalk and Pulse News Reader.

However, the increased speed makes for a better experience than beta 2.

I find it stable enough for daily use. I've been using iOS5 daily since beta 1. It has come a long way. Hopefully more to come. I must say I'd hate going back to 4.3.3. I'd miss notifications very much.

heisenberg123
Jul 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
depends who you ask i guess but apple says in the release notes its should not be used on your primary device so take it for what its worth, or do what you want the choice is yours

Ksizzle9
Jul 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not a iOS developer by any means but I think as long as you read up, be prepared to mess with iTunes, and downloading beta after beta, you will be fine. Also, don't expect all apps to work as they did in 4.x, also one odd crash I get is engadget crashing when you try to view the comments. This is on the app tho, and not the actual website

err404
Jul 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
I find the iOS5 Beta 3 to be reasonably stable on an iPhone 4. However there are quite a few bugs and many apps will not work.
On my iPad (original) it is terrible. Safari has been rendered essentially unusable.

If you install the Beta, be prepared to fill out and submit bug reports. Also do yourself a favor and save your blobs so you can rollback.

thunderbunny
Jul 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hi,

No offense but the op obviously is not a dev.

Leave it to the boys in the know and wait with excitement for the polished global released version of the ios5 !

How arrogant? Anyone can join the developer program in return for giving a few 's to Apple if they want to upgrade early or get a sneak preview.

For me beta 3 has been considerably less stable than beta 2. Obviously not the experience others have reported in this post so maybe I've just got the ****** end of the stick this time.