Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skagaser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
I know this is practically the most over asked question, but I drop my phone 24/7 and need a good case. I have the otterbox defender and hate it. The rubber always comes off, it prevents the home button from working (trust me, not a hardware issue, and just aah! Anything that will protect it from the average fall that won't provoke a panic attack when I pick it up. Also, I like to listen to music in the car so one that has a large enough area around the headphone jack.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Have you checked out the Otterbox Reflex? A friend showed me it the other day sitting on a bench at tha tennis court and he tossed it a good 5 feet or so on the ground, picked it up and no harm done.

I know the title says not an Otterbox, but it's definitely protective and its a slider case so there shouldn't be any rubber issues on the outside.

Skagaser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Have you checked out the Otterbox Reflex? A friend showed me it the other day sitting on a bench at tha tennis court and he tossed it a good 5 feet or so on the ground, picked it up and no harm done.

I know the title says not an Otterbox, but it's definitely protective and its a slider case so there shouldn't be any rubber issues on the outside.

I haven't I'll check it out!

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I am that klutz that leaves his phone on his lap, forgets its there, then stands up only to have it clatter to the ground. I do this daily. I love my Switcheasy CapsuleRebel. The softer material is not silicon and not rubber. It does not attract lint. The fit is skin tight, so I didn't have to worry about sand getting between the phone and the case while I was at the beach (not like I submerged it in sand or anything like that). And most importantly it absorbs impacts very well in combination with the harder "exoskeleton." Plus, it looks like nothing else out there, and came with a lot of accessories such as dock molds so I don't have to remove the case to dock my phone.

Only comparable cases I can think of in terms of pricing, design, and level protection are the Speck Candyshell, Switcheasy Odyssey, Otterbox Commuter, and the Casemate Pop. All of those offer great protection based on reviews I've read and experiences of friends and family of mine. There is no such thing as the perfect case, imo, but for me the Rebel had the fewest cons. Its not bulky unlike many of its competitors, and the spine down the back actually feels pretty ergonomic when your using your phone.

Last edited:

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009

I tried the Reflex. Didn't care for it. Not quite the protection of the Defender, but no better protection than the Commuter. The top and bottom half is held together by a thin bit of raised plastic that 'locks' into place. I was doubtful about the durability of that 'locking' plastic holding up under repeated use. After reading some reviews I think my doubts about the durability of the design weren't far off the mark.

Ballistic offers some good protection. They're in the same league as Griffin, Otterbox, etc... in that they're bulky and offer lots of protection. I like the looks of the Ballistic cases more than its competitors. It's not terribly unattractive as far as bulky cases go that is.

http://www.goballisticcase.com/collections/iphone-4-verizon

Last edited:

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
In another thread on the topic I came across the Seidio Convert (used to be called rugged i think). I bought it from amazon - the kit with the slider, rugged part and holster but not the holster for the slider - and have been happy with it. Probably the only part driving me bonkers is the camera cover, but at this point I'm reluctant to just cut it off.

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bd5-hkr5iph4v.htm

That is the one that has both holsters in it.

Last night i had a cadet tell me that my phone was either huge, or a I had a huge case. I showed him how it came off... And considering he can't use his phone because of a busted glass face, he might have seen the light! LOL!!

Seek out that thread, it doesn't mention the Seidio in the title, but three other rugged type options. The OP in it keeps trying and giving good feedback on them.

Here is the thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095156/

Last edited:

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I'm currently using the Speck Candyshell in moonsicle white. I love the amount of protection but was disappointed by the visible scratching on the black models shell so I switched to the white and am loving it!

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
oh guyz honestly.. this is the first case that actually made me want to buy the product just so that i could use that case... great find man. thanks

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011

strss

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
thanks full I have not been able to read this kind of article for a long time,i must say it is quite thought provoking.

Wolfcrazy

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
You say that the Otterbox commuter is a good case, but has the same protection of the reflex. Then would you say it is protective or isn't ?

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
I just installed the cygnatt workmate slate/black colored case on mine. Seems like it will offer the same protection a commuter would while feeling slimmer, grippier and looks much better to boot. Fits is fine with my iloome glass sp as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.