PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp and Parallels desktops

ulun47
Jul 15, 2011, 09:02 AM
Can I make my vm on my already exsisting bootcamp partition?
and if yes, how can I do it?

balamw
Jul 15, 2011, 05:22 PM
http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

You have two paths. The first preserves your ability to use Boot Camp, the other is basically a one way street that makes a new VM from your Boot Camp.

B

ulun47
Jul 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks.

jedolley
Jul 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

You have two paths. The first preserves your ability to use Boot Camp, the other is basically a one way street that makes a new VM from your Boot Camp.

B

So....

In my case I had boot camp with Windows 7 already installed and just got Parallels the other day. During the installation or the first run I think I choose to create a VM from my existing Boot Camp partition. I have since noticed that I can't restart into Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

If I wanted to do this, I was supposed to choose the second option listed on that link labelled, "Importing Data from Boot Camp to a New Virtual Machine", correct?

balamw
Jul 16, 2011, 05:53 PM
If I wanted to do this, I was supposed to choose the second option listed on that link labelled, "Importing Data from Boot Camp to a New Virtual Machine", correct?

Nope. The first one is the one that should have preserved your ability to boot natively.

Exactly how is it not booting. Do you still see it in the boot loader when you hold Alt/Option on boot? What happens after you select it?

B

jedolley
Jul 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Nope. The first one is the one that should have preserved your ability to boot natively.

Exactly how is it not booting. Do you still see it in the boot loader when you hold Alt/Option on boot? What happens after you select it?

B

I've only had my Mac about two weeks and boot camp for about a week. The alt/option at boot has never seemed to work for me, maybe I don't know when to do it or how long to press it. I've been using "Startup Disk" and more recently "Boot Champ". Right now, when I try to startup in Windows a blank black screen comes up and nothing ever happens, I end up having to power down and back up.

I just installed Parallels the other day and when I ran it for the first time I had three options:

New Windows Installation
Migrate Windows from PC
Use your Virtual Machines

Since I already had Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp, I assumed I should use "Use your Virtual Machines". Was that the right choice, or should it have been another one?

jedolley
Jul 16, 2011, 08:32 PM
I've only had my Mac about two weeks and boot camp for about a week. The alt/option at boot has never seemed to work for me, maybe I don't know when to do it or how long to press it. I've been using "Startup Disk" and more recently "Boot Champ". Right now, when I try to startup in Windows a blank black screen comes up and nothing ever happens, I end up having to power down and back up.

I just installed Parallels the other day and when I ran it for the first time I had three options:

New Windows Installation
Migrate Windows from PC
Use your Virtual Machines

Since I already had Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp, I assumed I should use "Use your Virtual Machines". Was that the right choice, or should it have been another one?

Okay, upon further inspection I think I know what I should have done. I think I should have selected "New Windows Installation" and on the next page selected my Boot Camp partition from the drop down.

Now I guess my question is how do I undo what I did before and start over? Is there a way to remove the virtual machine I created in Parallels and start fresh?