Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
OK so I was considering getting an iPad wifi when I realized only the more expensive 3g version only has GPS! seems like a killer for me. considering I can get a 10.1" Asus transformer, same ips screen, with honeycomb that has GPS, better cameras, flash and expandable memory card slot for $100 less! someone please give me a reason to consider the iPad!

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
iOS is what makes the iPad the best tablet atm. Without an ecosystem, an OS is a dead.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
What do you NEED the tablet for? If you NEED GPS and can't afford a 3G iPad, then an iPad is not for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
iOS is what makes the iPad the best tablet atm. Without an ecosystem, an OS is a dead.
Ecosystem? Google Market for Movies/Apps/Books, and Google Music beta (cloud) or Amazon Music/apps/movies (cloud). No need for Apple's closed ecosystem.

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Ecosystem? Google Market for Movies/Apps/Books, and Google Music beta (cloud) or Amazon Music/apps/movies (cloud). No need for Apple's closed ecosystem.

I have an android phone and like it for the most part. only issue with android I might have is the disjointedness. each manufacterer has their own updates, apps, skins etc. once you get used to that its a good platform. I do like the simplicity of ios though. I anticipate honeycomb to improve over time.

What do you NEED the tablet for? If you NEED GPS and can't afford a 3G iPad, then an iPad is not for you.

No need for the thread to get ugly. :p

like everyone else I'm just looking for the most bank for my buck, without sacreificing quality :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
spend some quality time with both of them in the store and see what you like

put them through their paces and one will likely seem better for what you want to use it for

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
Consider also apps, the quantity and quality of apps and the various media outlets that support iOS over Android for tablet. Going with iPad means you'll be riding the tablet curve. Going with Android means you may get behind a bit on the curve at times. Especially with the fragmentation that occurs with Android. One Android tablet manufacturer may provide features that the other tablets don't and you'll be beholden to them to provide eventual support or not at all.

That's my thinking on going with iOS. I don't have an iPad yet as I was waiting to see the development in the Android space. But will be getting one once I see what the new rumored iPad turns out to be.

As nice as Android can be, the widespread support just isn't the same as iOS. Support will make or break the experience, IMO. (And why I also run Windows on a Mac. Without that ability, I wouldn't have considered a Mac as the support for certain Windows only software/functionailty just isn't there.)

The other issue is flash. I had to think about this one by observing my flash usage. Turns out that I don't use flash all that much and for many of the things where flash might be useful, there is an app that provides the same functionality. Not in all cases though. So consider that also.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010

You sure Honeycomb has a good number of tablet optimized apps?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
personally I'm not a fan of the fragmentation within Android however it seems that the asus transformer offers a true honeycomb experience so without all the weird UI over top.

You can also get a keyboard dock for the transformer which adds usb and sd/micro sd functionality and extra battery life.

the transformer doesn't have a 3g model or 64gb model

it all comes done to your preference in the OS

if you have an Apple store in your city you will get great customer support.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
OK so I was considering getting an iPad wifi when I realized only the more expensive 3g version only has GPS! seems like a killer for me. considering I can get a 10.1" Asus transformer, same ips screen, with honeycomb that has GPS, better cameras, flash and expandable memory card slot for $100 less! someone please give me a reason to consider the iPad!
I assume you want GPS for car navigation? If so I would recommend doing some research on navigation apps available on the Asus to make sure you'll be happy with one of them. I haven't used the Asus but the reviews pretty much said if you like honeycomb it's a nice tablet.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
like everyone else I'm just looking for the most bank for my buck, without sacreificing quality :)

Well, again, it depends on what you need the tablet for and what your budget is. I own both an iPad 2 and a Xoom, and I can comment based on my experience using both devices every day, not just playing with one or the other for 15 minutes at Best Buy. :rolleyes: They both have strengths and weaknesses, so what goes "bang" for you may not go "bang" for me.

For example, I NEED a real FTP client where I can upload and download all sorts of files I create with all sorts of applications. The iPad just doesn't cut it for me for THAT.

The iPad has several apps that I NEED (because I've used them for over a year and they are now part of my workflow) that Android doesn't have. The Xoom can't compete with the iPad on the apps department.

"Bang for the buck" usually implies you want cheap (usually). So Android gives you more options for cheap tablets. If you find one that does what you NEED (like a Nook? to read books) then you don't NEED an iPad.

Again, what do you NEED? :cool:

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX

You will sacrifice quality buying that tablet. It is an okay tablet (spec wise) but it is ugly and feels big and cheap. An ipad feels like it is made out of much better quality materials. As far as your OS that is your opinion they are both good and have pluses and minuses. Just saying as far as quailty iPad> any other tablet I've seen yet. The samsung 10.1 is nice but iPAd still feels nicer.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Which OS do you prefer? If android go transformer or 10.1 galaxy tab.

If iOS go iPad or iPad2. They are both good tabs. I prefer iPad as i'm invested into the apple ecosystem and prefer the bigger app base.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
If iOS go iPad or iPad2. They are both good tabs. I prefer iPad as i'm invested into the apple ecosystem and prefer the bigger app base.

Don't even bother with the first gen iPad. The 2nd gen is soo much better (dual-core,better graphics, facetime camera and normal camera, thinner, lighter, same great app base and battery life)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You sure Honeycomb has a good number of tablet optimized apps?
Easily enough to satisfy my needs. Everytime I go looking for a certain solution, there is an app available that does the job. And most apps not optimized for tablets scale (not just double in pixels) to fit the full screen. There are easily enough android apps to satisfy anyone's needs. Sure the iPad apps outnumber Android tablet apps, but at a certain point (already reached) the new apps just become redundant duplicates of others. I have the luxury of access to any tablet I want. I own the iPad2, the Asus Transformer, the Acer Iconia, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, the Archos 70, a Cruz 8", a Nook color, and a few others. I'll pick up my iPad when the Galaxy is charging, but any of the 10.1 android tablets are preferred for web browsing, video playing, email, angry birds, checking the weather warnings, and on and on. Yes, you can do a few of those things on the iPad. The experience isn't as complete with many though.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
As suggested earlier, figure out your need first. I have plenty of computing power at home. If I didn't get out much I might not get a tablet. However, I travel almost weekly on business and find the iPad 2 a fantastic help. I've loaded it up with presentations, movies of our product, PDFs and such and use it when I'm teaching or presenting about our product. Plus it is great when on the road to carry into a coffee shop and answer emails or read websites.

For me Apple products are a great choice, not only is the hardware and software of high quality there is always an Apple store nearby if I need help.

A salesman in our group had an issue with his MBA. He stopped at an Apple store for help. They could fix it but needed a part which would arrive the next day. Unfortunately he was traveling so that didn't help. They looked at his itinerary, found an Apple store close to where he would be the next day, called ahead and confirmed they had the part. The next day after visiting customers he found the Apple store. They were expecting him and quickly fixed his MBA. That is great service.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Asus is a company with a solid reputation, I am using one of their netbooks, and I have been quite pleased with them. I am pretty keen on the transformer. However, I don't think Honeycomb is quite there yet for my needs, and I cannot tell if the Asus will be updated with new versions of the Android operating system in the future, so it is a non-starter. What happens when ice cream sandwich comes out?

Apple is, in my opinion, clearly still the best tablet on the market when you consider the entire package. If Honeycomb fulfills your needs, then you will probably see things differently.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I'd never get the transformer over an ipad 2... I think, out of the android tablets, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the best and has the most solid future.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Why do you need to be convinced? If the transformer feels like a better deal then buy that. Use your judgement and make your own decisions.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Why do you need to be convinced? If the transformer feels like a better deal then buy that. Use your judgement and make your own decisions.

There's nothing wrong with asking other people for input. In the end he WILL make his own decision, but by throwing the question out there he can get different viewpoints and even some he hadn't thought about.

Nothing wrong with that. :cool:

specialk0449

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
The iPad2 is superior to the Asus Transformer. I used one for a short time yesterday. I was not impressed at all. It is not competitive with the iPad in my opinion.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Don't even bother with the first gen iPad. The 2nd gen is soo much better (dual-core,better graphics, facetime camera and normal camera, thinner, lighter, same great app base and battery life)

If you can get a good deal on it I don't see why you wouldn't at least consider it. My girlfriend has no issues with her 1st gen iPad. It does everything she needs it to just fine.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Go with an Ipad 2 you can not beat Apples support system, and its a Great product I use mine every day and I have no regrets buying it I upgraded from my Ipad 1 on launch day

The battery life is great and when we travel to the US I simply have to change my Rogers sim for the AT&T sim and reactivate it and I get 2gigs of data for $25 and I do not have to pay the hotel or Cruise ship (when in port) for internet access.

As for Apples support if you have an issue all you have to do is stop by an Apple store show the genius the problem and you will be on your way with an replacment unit (most times with in 30 minutes) I have not found any other company that replaces hardware on the spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.