Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, USA Today reported on research from retail sales analyst David Berman ranking Apple as the fastest-growing major retailer in the United States during the first quarter of this year, boosting its domestic sales by 80% over last year's numbers.

boylston_street_store.jpg

Calling Apple's sales "mind-boggling", Berman notes that Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores are even outpacing the company's overall performance, growing by 90% year-over-year.
That increase accounted for one-fifth of all sales growth by publicly traded retailers in the U.S., according to a recent analysis of sales trends by retail sales expert David Berman. In part, that's a reflection of poor sales among most retailers. But it also highlights how Steve Jobs' technology giant is grabbing a big slice of market share in everything from smartphones to PCs.
Apple's year-over-year U.S. sales growth of $4.6 billion for the first quarter was followed by Amazon and Wal-Mart, with total sales growth from public retailers coming in at $23.2 billion.

Apple is set to announce its financial results for the second calendar quarter (third fiscal quarter) of the year next Tuesday, July 19th.

Article Link: Apple Ranked as Fastest-Growing Major Retailer in U.S.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I don't understand why people buy stuff other than Apple's own hardware in these stores. All of the third party accessories they sell are massively overpriced.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
"one-fifth of all sales growth by publicly traded retailers in the U.S" - that is astounding, but as the article says, everyone else basically sucks...

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Even with the stock price at what it is today, im still considering investing. Every quarter Apple beats the analyst expectations. I don't see how it couldn't be worth it in the end. Yes, the stock might take a dip when jobs retires, but it surely wouldn't be long before it bounces back.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
For rarely offering discounts on anything they sell, this is amazing news. Normally people are looking for every possible bargain they can find.

And pretty soon, Utah will be getting it's second Apple store just across the street from where I work.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I should have bought Apple stock in 1997 when Steve Jobs returned and it was $5 before all the splits.

Oh well.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Apple stores are a monopoly and should be shut down. I went to the Apple store to pick up a Dell and a Galaxy Tab the other day, they did not have either one. How can they get away with not selling their compeditors products and doing so at a loss so they are all cheaper than the Apple versions.

Apple quality is also anti competitive. They should be forced to have a larger number of defective units. While they are at it, how about letting their competitors write their advertising for them. Can we pass a law making Apple products ugly?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Apple stores are a monopoly and should be shut down. I went to the Apple store to pick up a Dell and a Galaxy Tab the other day, they did not have either one. How can they get away with not selling their compeditors products and doing so at a loss so they are all cheaper than the Apple versions.

Apple quality is also anti competitive. They should be forced to have a larger number of defective units. While they are at it, how about letting their competitors write their advertising for them. Can we pass a law making Apple products ugly?

Are you serious? They're corporate stores not a best buy.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
How is this good again?

Maybe because by not being overwhelmingly negatively affected by the recession they have been able to produce products that individuals wish to purchase.

Or maybe because they employ ~50,000 people? They all get to keep their jobs?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Maybe because by not being overwhelmingly negatively affected by the recession they have been able to produce products that individuals wish to purchase.

Or maybe because they employ ~50,000 people? They all get to keep their jobs?
A drop in the bucket as iUnemployment still rages on. Please, I would rather not digress further into PRSI nonsense though.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

Can you get a Ford car at a Holden dealership?
Can you get a Hungry Jacks (Burger King in the US) burger at MacDonalds?
Can you buy Apple computers at the MS store?
Can you buy Donut King donuts at Krispy Kreme?

I think you get my point. You do not have to (and many don't) sell the competition's product at their store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.