Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
What browser is best for OS X Lion? Chrome or Safari? I like the speed, full screen and smooth zooming on Safari but idk if chrome is better. Which ones do you guys use and why?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I use firefox personally, I have for quite a while and I am accustomed to its layout, features, etc. I have never been too big a fan of Chrome myself, and Safari lacks a couple features that I prefer not to go without.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
i downloaded chrome and the full screen is weird and the zooming in is kinda laggy. and idk how to get out of full screen there is no arrow next to the spotlight. it does seem to be a bit faster.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
i downloaded chrome and the full screen is weird and the zooming in is kinda laggy. and idk how to get out of full screen there is no arrow next to the spotlight. it does seem to be a bit faster.
Shift+Cmd+F or View > Exit Full Screen

It looks like Google needs to update Chrome to work properly with Lion full screen

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
If you use firefox, make sure you use 5.0.1. Apparently 5.0 kept crashing for me for no apparent reason. After updating to 5.0.1, the crashes stopped.

Safari is fast too, but I never got used to the interface. I only use Safari for Netflix since Firefox 5 used 64-bit and the Silverlight plug in only use 32-bit.

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
If you like your memory usage, Chrome. Safari eats RAM like Rosie O'Donnell at Golden Corral.

Is that really so? I like Safari a lot and have used it as my default browser ever since I switched back to Mac a couple of years ago (even under Windows).
The "Top Sites" feature alone, along with cover flow history, is something I personally don't want to miss anymore.
Before that, Firefox was my favorite browser, no doubt.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Is that really so? I like Safari a lot and have used it as my default browser ever since I switched back to Mac a couple of years ago (even under Windows).
The "Top Sites" feature alone, along with cover flow history, is something I personally don't want to miss anymore.
Before that, Firefox was my favorite browser, no doubt.

Yes, Safari is a memory hog. The posted usage is on the low side.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-15 at 8.14.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-15 at 8.14.53 PM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 969

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Chrome has better extensions and the omnibar is much better solution than separate address and search bars.

Safari has a better download dialog but requires Glims to make its features anywhere even close to Firefox or Chrome. Safari doesn't handle wrongly typed urls well, just throws an error page with a search field at the bottom.

I go between the two on a whim. For most users either will be just fine, it comes down to preferences.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Always been a Chrome user but after installing Lion very happy using Safari. The full screen UI and the way it beds into the OS is really great. The new gestures and UI in Safari make it very good to use.

Chrome needs an update to better suit Lion. I know Chrome also has full screen and that but doesn't play nice with mission control atm.

Last edited:

bushbabywas

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
I
Safari is fast too, but I never got used to the interface. I only use Safari for Netflix since Firefox 5 used 64-bit and the Silverlight plug in only use 32-bit.

You can run FF in 32-bit by selecting 'open in 32-bit mode' in the info view (cmd+i) for the app in finder. I didn't notice any speed difference between 64-bit and 32-bit.

azuma

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
A japanese web browser which support more multitouch gestures.
It is fun:)

Attachments

• ????????? 2011-07-16 10.26.3.JPG
    ????????? 2011-07-16 10.26.3.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 538

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I disagree, Safari for me has never reached those levels. It runs sweet as a nut.

That's great for you. The numbers don't lie on my system. I'm sure every situation is different, but the consensus is that Safari uses a lot of RAM.
I'm have 8GB, so I don't notice any slowdown, and it is kept open all day.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
In my experience Chrome uses more RAM than Safari when you have lots of tabs (you have to count the separate Chrome processes for each tab along with the main app in Activity Monitor). Also, the omnibar is not very responsive for me on a 2.4GHz Mini.

The only browser that seems to keep its RAM usage in check with many tabs is OmniWeb. With 45+ tabs open, I'm under 400MB. With Safari or Chrome, it woud easily be in the 700+ range.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I like Safari on Lion because of the support for gestures (especially double tap to zoom), speed and overall integration with the OS.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I can't see the point of changing from Safari unless there are serious problems. I use Safari all the time on a MP and a MBP with no problems.

I prefer Firefox & Firebug when I am testing new websites but Safari, I find, is great for everything else.

So what if it is a memory hog. Unless you are short of memory then why worry? I have 6gb & 4gb on my two machines and have never noticed any problems under SL or Lion.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Chrome hasn't been made fully Lion-compatible quite yet. I mean, it runs fine, but the fullscreen mode still doesn't use the same method as other apps, as you found out. For the time being, you have to go to "View" > "Exit full screen mode" quit full screen mode.

Once that feature is fixed, I'd have to say Chrome is hands-down the best browser to use. It loads webpages the fastest, has way more extensions and flexibility than Safari, uses less resources than Firefox, and tends to be best at accurately rendering HTML. Some of the fancier HTML5 code that runs on Safari's version of the webkit rendering engine doesn't work in Chrome, but that's only because Apple is implementing features and animations that have barely been standardized yet. So for the other 99% of web content (basically every site other than Apple.com), Chrome reigns supreme.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Might as well use Safari.

My second choice would be Chrome.

Both Webkit, after all, and both are very well designed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.