Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Hi I have some really basic/dumb questions about Lion GM. That is if you can answer them.

1. How long did it take to install GM? SL took 30mins for me, is Lion longer?

2. When you did a clean install how did you do it? Extract the disk image then burned it to a disk. The question is did you boot the DVD (or what ever) then did the install? Or did you have to use another drive to install on that clean drive?

I'm just wondering what I will be looking at doing when it finally comes out on the Mac APP store.

Hugh

jschmitt

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
Hi I have some really basic/dumb questions about Lion GM. That is if you can answer them.

2. When you did a clean install how did you do it? Extract the disk image then burned it to a disk. The question is did you boot the DVD (or what ever) then did the install? Or did you have to use another drive to install on that clean drive?

I'm just wondering what I will be looking at doing when it finally comes out on the Mac APP store.

Hugh

I've done a few of these installs; on an install from DVD to traditional HDD, installs average right around 20 mins. On installation involving a newer SSD, install times are around 15 mins; I've heard that an install from a FireWire 800 external HDD to a SSD can be even faster! These are all clean installs described above! Note, this involves burning the DMG from the app store download to the target first.

John

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY

Hugh

Write the DMG image (image it to the USB in Disk Utility) and install from there, took about 15 minutes give or take

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I've done a few of these installs; on an install from DVD to traditional HDD, installs average right around 20 mins. On installation involving a newer SSD, install times are around 15 mins; I've heard that an install from a FireWire 800 external HDD to a SSD can be even faster! These are all clean installs described above! Note, this involves burning the DMG from the app store download to the target first.

John

Thanks for answering odd questions. What do you mean by target first? You put it on the drive you going to be installing it on?

One more question, is it true that, there no Java installed?

Thanks!

Hugh

azuma

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks for answering odd questions. What do you mean by target first? You put it on the drive you going to be installing it on?

Thanks!

Hugh

Java will not install unless you run a Java-based application like jDownloader.

jschmitt

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011

Thanks!

Hugh

Sorry, target just means the media where you burn the DMG to; thumb drive, DVD, external Firewrire drive, etc.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
My install via USB Flash Drive and to an SSD, 6 Minutes for the downloading components part, 5 minutes on the actual install. Very fast.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Sorry, target just means the media where you burn the DMG to; thumb drive, DVD, external Firewrire drive, etc.

That's what I thought what you mean, but I had to make clearer. No problems booting off the dvd, jump drive, another drive?

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.