PDA

View Full Version : PPC Music Server

brycemason
Jul 16, 2011, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to share my PPC music server that I just wrapped up. I rebuilt a PB 12 1.5 with some new components intending to make it a good netbook and also double as a music server. I wanted to make it as quiet as possible so put a SSD in it and also used the G4 Fan Control program to adjust the threshold on the temperatures to keep it quiet during playback (just took a couple of degrees, which shouldn't pose a problem).

It's worth mentioning that Leopard should be the preferred OS for music servers because the Audio Midi Setup Utility has an option to control the external DAC/amplifiers and upsample music files to 24/96 before they are sent. Tiger does not have this ability as far as I know.

Anyway, I'm enjoying bringing in all my music and kicking back to listen in my armchair with this sweet little setup.

MAC MAN JW
Jul 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to share my PPC music server that I just wrapped up. I rebuilt a PB 12 1.5 with some new components intending to make it a good netbook and also double as a music server. I wanted to make it as quiet as possible so put a SSD in it and also used the G4 Fan Control program to adjust the threshold on the temperatures to keep it quiet during playback (just took a couple of degrees, which shouldn't pose a problem).

It's worth mentioning that Leopard should be the preferred OS for music servers because the Audio Midi Setup Utility has an option to control the external DAC/amplifiers and upsample music files to 24/96 before they are sent. Tiger does not have this ability as far as I know.

Anyway, I'm enjoying bringing in all my music and kicking back to listen in my armchair with this sweet little setup.

Cool!!!! i have the same PowerBook as you and was maybe thinking of something like what you did for mine. but i just took the easy way out and used my G3 (Upgraded to a G4 CPU) B&W tower as my iTunes Jukebox. But your PowerBook setup is alot cooler then my B&W setup;):):apple:

zen.state
Jul 22, 2011, 12:28 PM
Audio gear makes me drool. Great setup!

AdrianK
Jul 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
Very nice, though I'm slightly curious as to why up sampling to 24/96 is considered advantageous.